Soldier Hollow 2008

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#1 ShoresDog

ShoresDog

• Registered Users
  • 3,970 posts

Posted 30 August 2008 - 12:54 AM

Here are some pictures taken with my not-so-great camera. The weather was warm, but really pretty nice, dry and breezy. I had the delightful experience of being able to watch a good portion of today's trial from the set-out area up on a hill, where Anna, Connie, Charlie, and Dan were doing an incredible job setting out the groups of five ewes for each competitor. The job looks easy when everything goes smoothly, but when the afternoon got hot and they'd been in the pen a long time, the sheep got cranky, and it got much more exciting. Anna's Tikkle was incredible when the going got tough; she saved several situations that could have easily let to lost sheep and general chaos. A special treat was the X-pen holding two delightful puppies, daughters of a dog Anna used to own named Trubble.

Friday slideshow

Some Youtube movies will be uploaded soon.

Jan & Daisy & Juno & Star
LJ Shores, San Diego CA

SHORESLIFEPHOTO

#2 ShoresDog

ShoresDog

• Registered Users
  • 3,970 posts

Posted 30 August 2008 - 07:42 AM

Amanda Mmilliken's Clive arrives at the top of the hill, lifts his sheep, and heads down to the fetch panels:

Clive

LJ Shores, San Diego CA

SHORESLIFEPHOTO

#3 blackacre

blackacre

• Registered Users
  • 1,291 posts

Posted 30 August 2008 - 07:43 AM

Your mission: to get a picture of Charlie's face. Tell him hi from Sam and Andrea!
A

#4 Laurae

Laurae

i'd rather be working my dogs...

• Registered Users
  • 3,227 posts

Posted 30 August 2008 - 08:10 AM

These are fantastic, Jan! I really enjoyed both the slide show (with labels! yay!) and the video.I hope you can do the same for each day!
I'm glad Faansie made the cut today. Since taking his terrific clinic, I'm a Faansie fan now :rolleyes:

Cheers,
Laura
5120876952_de8afa8164.jpg
Poetry in motion with Sophie, Taz, Meg, Ike, and puppy Gus!
And Craig waiting at the bridge.

See profiles of many top competitors from the 2011 National Sheepdog Finals in Carbondale, Colorado

#5 ShoresDog

ShoresDog

• Registered Users
  • 3,970 posts

Posted 30 August 2008 - 08:31 AM

Bill Berhow's Pete, who went first. This video starts when he is almost down the hill on the fetch. Unfortunately, he had one ewe who was a piece of work, and it took him too much time getting down the hill, so he times out at the end. Given his sheep, he still gets a lot done, and he got a 62. There were no high scores -- I think the top was 71 -- so I think he'll be back on Monday. I'll write down the scores today so that I can post them tonight.

Pete

LJ Shores, San Diego CA

SHORESLIFEPHOTO

#6 jdarling

jdarling

• Registered Users
  • 2,058 posts

Posted 30 August 2008 - 08:32 AM

Jan, the photos are wonderful! I love the view from setout! It's a view you don't often get to see. Do you happen to know where the sheep are from? Are they range ewes? Any idea what breed that ram is? I know there aren't too many breeds with multiple horns, one of the few being Jacob, but that doesn't look like a Jacob to me. Thank you so much for taking the time to upload these photos and videos. They're awesome!

#7 Chesney's Girl

Chesney's Girl

Stockdogs Apprentice

• Registered Users
  • 1,679 posts

Posted 30 August 2008 - 09:56 AM

Jan! Great pictures and videos! I can't wait to see more. I really wish I could have come this year, and with the Hurricane that's on its way into the gulf Soldier Hollow wouldn't be a terrible place to be this weekend! Tell Anna hello!

Success is the sum of small efforts, repeated day in and day out -
Robert Collier
The way to gain a good reputation, is to endeavor to be what you desire to appear - Socrates

OutRun Life Photography
Flickr Pictures

Danielle, Chesney, Moss and Tucker
3961552170_e568648000_m.jpg

#8 ShoresDog

ShoresDog

• Registered Users
  • 3,970 posts

Posted 30 August 2008 - 07:44 PM

Well, Danielle, I think you would be enjoying this far more than a hurricane!

The scores from Friday are posted here. The top five from each day who have not already qualified get into Monday's double lift final. Here are two more videos from Friday:

Norm Close and Chub shedding and trying to pen

Pro Wrestling's Puppy Division

I took lots of pictures and videos today too, and I'll upload them when we get back from dinner later tonight. It was another beautiful day. The sheep were still feisty, but the time was set at 00:13.00 instead of 00:12.30 as it had been on Friday. There were some pens -- there were NONE on Friday, if I recall correctly. Barbara Ray and Britt had the best run of the day, silky smooth, a true thing of beauty. While there's some sheep luck involved and your dog just has a really good day, and so on, but we KNOW the handler's skill is awfully important. Barbara stepped off the field and responded to the first of many compliments, "Oh, well, I just really enjoyed watching that one!"

I did get that requested picture of Charlie's face too.

LJ Shores, San Diego CA

SHORESLIFEPHOTO

#9 Shoofly

Shoofly

• Registered Users
  • 2,740 posts

Posted 30 August 2008 - 07:47 PM

That Britt is a good, good dog. Glad she did well. I've always liked her and she's a really brave dog.

Thanks for the pics and video. I'm off to enjoy them now!

ETA: Nice job with the video! I'd love to see more lifts from the top.

-- Robin French
Shoofly Farm, Oxford NC

#10 jdarling

jdarling

• Registered Users
  • 2,058 posts

Posted 30 August 2008 - 08:04 PM

Jan, great videos! Thank you so much for doing this! Sounds like Ray Crabtree on the microphone. He does a very nice job with the play-by-play for the crowd.

Jodi

#11 Denise Wall

Denise Wall

• Registered Users
  • 1,842 posts

Posted 30 August 2008 - 09:17 PM

God do these videos ever bring back memories. Those are some real sheep at that trial. I sure wish Mick was young and could go again :rolleyes:

Thanks for the pics and videos all.
Denise Wall
Stilhope

#12 ShoresDog

ShoresDog

• Registered Users
  • 3,970 posts

Posted 31 August 2008 - 12:34 AM

Here are some pictures from Saturday. There are a lot but they go by pretty quickly.

Saturday Slide Show

Yup, Ray Crabtree is the announcer, and he really does do a nice job. The judge is Don Helsey.

There really is a lot going on besides the trial, lots of vendors and other activities more oriented to children. I walked up to the Splash Dogs dock diving, and the dogs seemed to be having a good time. There were a LOT of people up there, and lots of labs. The Chesapeake Bay Retriever Rescue people even had a rep there, since this diving thing is so popular and Chesapeakes kill. The duck herding was very popular too. I spent quite a bit of time in the Navajo elders tent and came away with several necklaces. The rugs were beautiful.

LJ Shores, San Diego CA

SHORESLIFEPHOTO

#13 ShoresDog

ShoresDog

• Registered Users
  • 3,970 posts

Posted 31 August 2008 - 01:50 AM

A few videos.

Holmes's Juno

Scott Glen and Maid

I was curious about this Splash Dog thing. Some dogs were pretty good at it. Here are some little 15-second videos.

This big guy really soared:

Splash Dog 1

This little guy did OK:

Splash Dog 2

The border collie seemed to think the idea was a bit nuts, but what the heck, she'd give it a go.

The Border Collie Jumps

This guy thought the idea was really nuts, and there was no way he was going to do it!

Not me!

LJ Shores, San Diego CA

SHORESLIFEPHOTO

#14 Sue R

Sue R

Bark less, wag more

• Registered Users
  • 12,596 posts
  • Interests:Stockdogs, horses, chocolate

Posted 31 August 2008 - 05:01 AM

Thank you so much for sharing! I went to the website after seeing your first link (the slideshow). and was quite interested in all the activities offered. It will be enjoyable to see some of them (I've just seen dock-diving once, and it looked like fun).

Duck work is hilarious! Ducks look like they are trying very hard to be serious and maintain their dignity but they are so transparent at the same time.
Sue Rayburn - Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult, but not the brightest firefly in the jar.

Celt, Megan, and Dan

"When the chips are down, watch where you step."

"The happiest people don't necessarily have the best of everything. They just make the best of everything." - author unknown

#15 Allie Oop

Allie Oop

• Registered Users
  • 3,391 posts

Posted 31 August 2008 - 06:35 PM

Jan, you're killing me!!!! Thank you for posting the pictures and the video!!! I haven't missed Soldier Hollow for the past 5 years and now, thanks to being snowed out up camping in the Uinta Mountains, I will probably make the finals tomorrow!!! (DH decided he didn't want to pack up in the snow, so we are HOME!!!!) I just got a call from Margie (Withzia) and we are hoping to head up tomorrow for the finals!!!! HURRAY!!!
Deb, Allie & Rusty

Walkies (aka "Taking a Constitutional")
A Blog

2011 Western Border Collie Rescue Calendars - Available Now!

Posted Image

Help Border Collies in Need - Order Yours Now!

#16 KathyF

KathyF

• Registered Users
  • 639 posts
  • Interests:Herding, Border Collies, Trialing, training dogs, sheep

Posted 31 August 2008 - 09:37 PM

Your mission: to get a picture of Charlie's face. Tell him hi from Sam and Andrea!
A

I have met Charlie and even have a picture of him. But alas, without permission from the photographer I cannot share it.

Kathy

#17 hsnrs

hsnrs

• Registered Users
  • 810 posts

Posted 31 August 2008 - 10:01 PM

Thanks for posting the video links; will enjoy watching them. Narita

#18 SoloRiver

SoloRiver

Canis sapiens

• Registered Users
  • 4,701 posts
  • Interests:working sheepdogs, agility, behavior and training, rescue

Posted 31 August 2008 - 11:36 PM

I know what Charlie looks like!
Melanie, Solo the Red, Superfly, and Jett Girl
My homepage
My photos on Flickr
Canine Behavioral Genetics Project

#19 Laurae

Laurae

i'd rather be working my dogs...

• Registered Users
  • 3,227 posts

Posted 31 August 2008 - 11:49 PM

Me, too!

Cheers,
Laura
5120876952_de8afa8164.jpg
Poetry in motion with Sophie, Taz, Meg, Ike, and puppy Gus!
And Craig waiting at the bridge.

See profiles of many top competitors from the 2011 National Sheepdog Finals in Carbondale, Colorado

#20 Withzia

Withzia

• Registered Users
  • 188 posts

Posted 01 September 2008 - 11:04 PM

A few more Soldier Hollow shots, from Monday. I may have gotten some names wrong--correct me kindly, please.

I think this is Amanda Milliken's Clive:

Posted Image

I like this one of second-place winners Beverly Lambert and Bill waiting for their run. Goes to show that border collies can be clingy and still incredible.

Posted Image

Patrick Shannahan's Riggs:
Posted Image

Posted Image

Amanda Milliken's Ethel:
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Copyright: All posts and images on this site are protected by copyright, and may not be reproduced or distributed in any way without permission. Banner photo courtesy of Denise Wall, 2009 CDWall. For further information, contact info@bordercollie.org.