Comfortis

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#21 lrayburn

lrayburn

• Registered Users
  • 625 posts

Posted 30 August 2008 - 03:01 PM

It's not too bad as I get the big size and split the tabs in two.

Does anyone know if this is safe? Is the Program/Profen manufactured differently than Comfortis? (Comfortis is a pressed tablet.) I asked the vet if I could split the Comfortis and she said no because the product may not be evenly distributed within the tab. I don't know if this is true or just something they say to prevent people from splitting (and not buying as much of the expensive stuff). I always bought the largest Frontline and split it amongst the crew. Comfortis would be a lot more affordable if I split it.

Where do you guys get the Profen? I might try that after next month. I can't spend $60/month on the Comfortis - especially on top of the Interceptor and Preventix collars.

Thanks again,
Lisa

#22 Sue R

Sue R

Bark less, wag more

• Registered Users
  • 12,807 posts
  • Interests:Stockdogs, horses, chocolate

Posted 30 August 2008 - 03:44 PM

I know that Mark has posted previously that splitting tablets is not a good idea for the very reason that Lisa mentions, uneven distribution of the chemical in the tablet. And Mark doesn't have a financial stake in anyone buying fewer or more tablets.

I have had flea issues this year for the first time in over ten years. I think it's partly due to the mild winter we experienced last year and also some Frontline resistence in fleas. We had a problem over ten years ago. Children's dogs brought fleas into our home. One child had a bad infestation in her home to the point that we kept some of her animals here and she had to bomb and leave her home temporarily.

I can't tell you just how much money I wasted on pet store remedies but it was over $200. Then I found a vet that would sell me Advantage without my having to bring in all seven affected animals (dogs, cats, and rabbits) at $30 each for the office visit alone. I brought the Advantage home and - bingo - no fleas in no time at all.

Sometime later, I switched to Frontline Plus as my new vets sold that and because I'd understood that Advantage-resistance was happening (if not here, then further South in real flea territory). We would go down to NC to visit relatives, I would take dogs to VA, and so on - no problems. Until this year. The relatives had Frontline-resistant fleas (which we were not aware of before going) and we had a resident flea population here. Frontline Plus was not doing the job, even applied more frequently. It would seem to knock them back for a day or two, and then you couldn't tell it had been used.

Finally, in desperation, I got Advantage (which I was using on the rabbit, because you can't use Frontline on rabbits) for the cats and dogs and, thank goodness, it did the job. Within the first few days, I found a couple of dead and dying fleas on one dog and, since then, one live flea and greatly reduced itching. After all, they have to bite in order to get a fatal dose.

Which leads me to wonder - should you rotate flea control meds monthly, every few months, yearly, whatever, to avoid resistance?
Sue Rayburn - Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult, but not the brightest firefly in the jar.

Celt, Megan, and Dan

"When the chips are down, watch where you step."

"The happiest people don't necessarily have the best of everything. They just make the best of everything." - author unknown

#23 Rebecca, Irena Farm

Rebecca, Irena Farm

Together, We Can Move This Mountain

• Registered Users
  • 6,636 posts
  • Interests:Sheep (dairy), assistance dog (SD/full access and Emotional Service Animals), general training, stockdog trialing, dock diving, lure coursing, flyball

Posted 30 August 2008 - 04:05 PM

I wouldn't do this with something like Interceptor where my dog's life/health depended on the effectiveness of the med, but the Program has a huge spread between weights intended for the tabs and the worst that will happen is I'll end up chucking good money after bad. It seems to work just fine though. At the moment what I am seeing is a live flea outbreak every week or so and then they'll be gone, and fewer will show up the next round. Last time I did this they all went away in a month.
Becca Shouse - Irena Farm, Semora, NC
Cord, Ted, Gus, Sam - plus Maggie, Zhi, Lynn, Jetta, Lu, Min, and Tully

Posted Image
http://irenafarm.blogspot.com/

#24 Sue R

Sue R

Bark less, wag more

• Registered Users
  • 12,807 posts
  • Interests:Stockdogs, horses, chocolate

Posted 30 August 2008 - 04:14 PM

Ah! Based on that and your success, then maybe this is a safe and effective way to reduce cost while controlling fleas. That's a good idea to share with the rest of us. Thanks, Becca!
Sue Rayburn - Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult, but not the brightest firefly in the jar.

Celt, Megan, and Dan

"When the chips are down, watch where you step."

"The happiest people don't necessarily have the best of everything. They just make the best of everything." - author unknown

#25 jrid

jrid

• Registered Users
  • 318 posts

Posted 01 September 2008 - 08:55 AM

Lisa,
Profen can be purchased from the Pets Megastore in Australia. They have a toll free # and the shipping is usually free. I used to get my Interceptor from them until Novartis would no longer let them sell it to Americans.

#26 theshine

theshine

• Registered Users
  • 294 posts

Posted 09 September 2008 - 06:37 AM

So Comfortis is more expensive than Frontline Plus? I currently use Frontline and I'm not having any problems with it except for the price for three dogs :rolleyes: , but I'm considering Comfortis b/c I got a coupon in the mail for it. If it's more expensive, I won't bother.
Posted Image
RIPLEY, FROSTY, SHINER, SCARLETT

#27 lrayburn

lrayburn

• Registered Users
  • 625 posts

Posted 09 September 2008 - 08:20 AM

So Comfortis is more expensive than Frontline Plus? I currently use Frontline and I'm not having any problems with it except for the price for three dogs :rolleyes: , but I'm considering Comfortis b/c I got a coupon in the mail for it. If it's more expensive, I won't bother.

It's about the same price per box. However, I was buying the large Frontline and splitting it so effectively I was getting a lot more doses (about 3x) per box of Frontline than I was "supposed" to be getting. If you don't split your Frontline, you are looking at just about the same price per dose.
Lisa

#28 theshine

theshine

• Registered Users
  • 294 posts

Posted 09 September 2008 - 08:27 AM

Hmmm...I split it for the cats, I don't know why I never thought of splitting for the dogs. Still may be worth trying the comfortis with the coupon though.
Posted Image
RIPLEY, FROSTY, SHINER, SCARLETT

#29 Little Bo Boop

Little Bo Boop

• Registered Users
  • 1,588 posts

Posted 09 September 2008 - 04:40 PM

I thought this was kind of interesting. I was doing some research on an insecticide, Spinosad, for my garden, and it turns out its the main ingredient in Comfortis. Man they sure do jack up the price for pet use, as I can by a bottle of it for about $8 ;-( interesting where it comes from though.

ETA. Evidently its used as a drench as well for cattle and sheep to get rid of lice etc...Not that I would do it, but since its basically considered an organic pesticide, I wonder why you couldn't use it as a topical on your dog? I believe on the precautions for plant use, they say you can spray and harvest the same day or the next...so I'm guessing its safe for human consumption?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spinosad
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Copyright: All posts and images on this site are protected by copyright, and may not be reproduced or distributed in any way without permission. Banner photo courtesy of Denise Wall, 2009 CDWall. For further information, contact info@bordercollie.org.