BC Boards

Really scared, coughing

Ok, so I'm really scared, this may be a bit long. Tiga has been doing this really weird coughing noise. He's done it 3 times in the last 24hrs. It's kind of hard to describe, but it kind of sounds like when you dry cough if you have bronchitis. It's a barking cough and every few coughs he gags like he's trying to cough up something.

The first time he ever did it was about a month ago and he was eating a piece of kibble from his treat ball when someone showed up to pick me up for work that he barks at. Well he barked while he was eating a piece and starting doing the coughing thing. He gags in between coughs. It stopped on it's own after about 20 mins. So I didn't think about it much after that.

Then yesterday we were going over to see his rottie friend and we got out of the car and on the way in he started doing this coughing/gagging thing. We went inside and I tried sweeping my finger in his throat to see if he got something stuck. I gave him little bits of water from my hand and after about 20 mins it stopped and him and the rottie played. Now I started to get concerned.

Then we came home and we had a bbq. There were quite a few people around and he was outside with us on his lead. A friend pulled his car up to load some stuff in it and Tiga started barking and my friend was play growling at him, and it started again. Again it lasted for about 20 mins then he was ok again. At this point I'm really starting to get worried.

So this morning I get up and I was waiting for his food to soften up (I soak it in water so he's not hungry all the time). Then I gave him his allergy pills. He takes Vanectyl P and his allergies have been acting up lately. He has had some discharge from his eye, not a lot, but some and it's yellow. So about 10 mins after he took his Vanectyl P it started again. Again it lasted for about 20 mins. I let him outside while it was happening and went out with him and it seemed to stop and he ate some grass, then when he came back inside it started again. While it was happening this time, I called the emergency vet that was on call. It stopped while I was talking to her.

She said that if it's stopped now, and he's swallowing ok, to feed him his food and keep him resting for today. If it starts again then to call her back and that he should be seen by a vet tomorrow. She said some possiblities were a collapsing trachea, but not as likely in a border collie. She also mentioned kennel cough and lung worms. She said it most likely isn't heart worms as he hasn't left the province. She said it may be linked to his allergies and it might be trachea or parasite realted. She said it's good that he took his Vanectyl P.

I know that no one will probably read this for a few hours, it's pretty early here and I'm exhausted. He's resting comfortable right now and I'm going to sleep for a while. Can anyone help shed some light? I'm really, really worried about him. When it happens, he's obviously scared and doesn't understand what's going on, he paces around trying to get away from it. I'm so worried about my boy. Any advice or help would be greatly appreciated.

I don't know what it could be, but am saying a prayer for the guy. It could be an infection. Did the eye goop start when the coughing did? It seems to be related to when he gets excited. Best of luck to you. Please let us know what doc says tomorrow.

It sounds like an upper respiratory infection. Both of my fosters had the same exact symptoms when they were diagnosed. Either way, kennel cough or URI can be easily treated with antibiotics.

3 of my four dogs caught kennel cough a few months ago. It was terrible. I cried so much because they were so miserable so I feel your pain. Good wishes to you and your little guy.

I second Julie's suggestion to tape him if you can. (It's like your car - you take it to the mechanic about a strange noise and then the car won't make the same noise :rolleyes: ) From your description it sounds like KC and/or a URI; if so, that's easily treated. Let us know how he's doing.

Well you guys have eased my worries a bit. I'm still worried, but if it's treatable then I'll be fine. Crappy thing is that I woke up this afternoon really sick too. Tiga's been sleeping pretty much all day. Went out to pee once, but other then that he's pretty much himself. It's super hot here yesterday and today, so that always subdues him a bit.

I will definitely video him if it happens again. I was so worked up when it happened before that I didn't think about it. So with KC or URI, is it really sporatic like that? Not happening all the time, just every so often? Also, are they instigated by excitement? Because like Linda said, it does seem to happen when there's some sort of excitement going on.

I was also thinking about the KC thing, and I do remember taking him over to the dog park recently and there was a dog there that was making the same noise, but it didn't last as long and it wasn't as scary. We just thought the dog had chocked on some water from the tap.

Also the eye goop thing was happening a few days before the coughing started.

Our dogs go to a kennel for boarding several times a year. They require that the dog be vaccinated against bordetella (kennel cough), and so they are vaccinated. Last summer both our dogs came home from a week in the kennel with a nasty cough, in spite of the vaccinations.

I asked the vet about this and he said there are multiple strains of bordetella. One vaccination does not protect against all strains, hence a dog that has been vaccinated can still get sick.

The coughing lasted about a week, getting less severe with each passing day. But it did definitely sound scary and nasty right at first.

Riven had kennel cough too when we got her. Horrible horrible sounding backwards sneezing sound... She seems ok once she quit coughing. Most of the time it started if she got cold air. Took 2 rounds of antibiotics and some cough syrup but we got through it! lol :rolleyes:

Good luck figuring out whats wrong. Keep us updated.

Is he an older dog? We had a little dog with tracheal collapse - that happened when he got excited and barking - but that wasn't until he was well over 10 (don't remember when it started for sure). I also thought about heartworm, but if he's been on preventative (or not common in your area), I'd be doubtful of that. It does sound like it's linked to when he's excited or startled. Probably the best thing you can do right now is for both of you to take it easy until you can get him to a vet. Hope you both get feeling better soon.

The more I read, the more I think it might be KC. It happened again tonight, but only for about 5 mins this time. It wasn't as severe. I was sleeping on the couch and he woke me up. By the time I went to get the camera to video him, it was pretty much over. At least it didn't last as long this time.

I've read that with KC that it can happen every few minutes, but with him it's more like every few hours. Will it get worse from here if that's what he has? Also I've read that mostly the dogs don't seem bothered by it, but he obviously is when it happens. He knows something is wrong and he doesn't like it. But when it's over, he's fine again, a little tired from it but he still wants to eat and play. I've been trying to keep him as quiet as possible, but I'm sure you all know how hard it is to keep a BC quiet. :rolleyes:

I don't think it's the reverse sneezes. He's done those before and it doens't sound the same as what he's been doing the last couple of days.

He's not a older dog, he's going to be 2 at the end of this month.

I just wish that I wasn't sick today as well. We've both been resting most of the day and I'll be calling the vet in the morning.

Thank you all so much for your help and support. I'll let you know what I hear tomorrow.

Tammy I see why you are so worried! But it sounds like KC to me, but I am no vet and have only had one dog with it. I am sure that having the vet see the vid will help too! Good luck and be assured I will be praying for a easily fixed outcome. Please let us know.

Only about an hour and a half left to wait. I'm glad I got the video for them to see. It happened again today when he was getting excited, this time to eat breakfast. He's pretty restless too cause he hasn't been getting his walks, I was told to keep him fairly quiet. I really hope it's just KC. Again thank you all for your help and support, I'll be sure to let you know what the vet says.

Just got home. The vet says you were all right, it's KC. She gave him some antibiotics called Delta Albaplex and I have to give 3 every 12 hours for a week. She said to keep him resting (i.e. no walks) for a couple of days, then try short walks and if he does ok then longer ones. It's going to be a crazy couple of days around here I think. :rolleyes:

But I'm glad we know what's wrong and that it can be fixed. Everytime something like this happens, I know I can feel my hair getting greyer.