BC Boards

How can I tell when Cody is too hot or too tired?

Hi, I took Cody to a nearby soccer field yesterday to run after tennis balls I flung with a ChuckIt. It sends the ball way far out and he runs out, catches it and runs back. After only about two or three times, he was panting heavily, tongue long out of his mouth, and laying down.

I know dogs pant instead of sweat. It was about 90 degrees-- hot and sunny with no trees in sight.

How can I tell with Cody when "enough is enough"? I had plenty of water for him and for me. By the way, he's two years old and very active in general. He would have kept going and going and going and going, I think, even with all the panting and laying down.

You can usually tell that enough is enough when their tongue is hanging out and/or sort of fatter than usual. Other signs are wobbliness in the back-end or walking like they're drunk. If you've got wobblies, you might have pushed it (that's what I generally assume). I also think that if they are laying down on their own, you don't want to push them to do more because it sometimes takes a few minutes for the effects of the heat to overcome their desire to do what they're doing.

You do want to be very careful as dogs can overheat very quickly and often dangerously--particularly in hot and humid conditions. If you have water with you and you think he's gotten too hot, you can splash some on him--particularly his belly and under his legs to help cool him off.

Our dogs also get pretty tired after about 3 throws with the Chuck-it when it's hot out. We usually try and go very early in the morning or right at dusk so that it's a little cooler for them.

Chesney will go go go until he collapsed if I let him. If he is playing at the park and chasing the ball hard in the heat, I give him about 5 or 6 100 yard or so throws then have him stop for a few minutes then let him go again. if its warm we usually only are out for 30 minutes with frequent breaks in the shade.

If Cody is laying down on his own that would be a good indicator. Chesney is learning that if I throw the ball out for him and he is getting a bit hot and I ask him to lie down (I try to time it so he stops in the shade too), he can keep the ball with him and stop for a minute before he brings it back.

If he is lying down on his own, Cody is taking a break that he probably needs. Quinn will do that, which I like because you do hear about dogs that literally run themselves to death in the heat. A couple of years ago, three dogs I know died of heat stroke which freaked me out. Two were in vehicles and one was playing on a hot day. I had been careful before but since then I'm very cautious. When it's hot, I try to do as much exercise early/late in the day and in the shade, if at all possible. And when it's really hot sometimes we do more indoor training type stuff than full out running.

First of all if you have a choice, I don't think it's safe to run a dog at all in 90-degree weather with no shade in sight--you're just asking for trouble. If he gets wobbly in the rear, then you've gone too far, and remember that once they've had heat exhaustion, they will be more susceptible in the future, at least the immediate future. Like Robin said, it's better to try to run the dog early or late when it's cooler. FWIW, some years ago I went to a local ballfield to play frisbee with Willow. It was spring and then temps couldn't have been much above 70. There was a patch of shade where I rested her frequently. Even with all the precautions I took, on the walk home, she collapsed and I was left to franticly wave down a passing farmer to get her home and into cold water quickly. She was less heat tolerant for the rest of that year, but I don't think it affected her permanently.

Other signs of potential overheating: the tongue appears dry and the tip is curled sharply up and squinty looking eyes.

J.

Clyde will start off strong, chasing and returning the frisbee, then after a few tosses, he starts slowing down on the return.

He will then stop by the water bowl, get a big drink, pick up the frisbee and get into his position for another toss.

Usually by the time he gets a second drink, he's ready to go home. He will look at me, then to the house then back at me.

I call "home" and off he goes, drops the frisbee on the porch and waits until I get there to let him in. He gets in, another drink

of water from his dish and I turn on "his" fan and he lays on the tile in front of the fan until he has cooled off, then he wants his

inside ball.

It has been warm here, NE FL and his outside run time has gotten much shorter lately. Yesterday, it was stormy and somewhat cool.

Between rain storms we went out had a few tosses, the rains returned. Thunder, lighting, pouring rain, he just wanted to keep going.

When the lightning started getting closer, then home we went. He looked at the table where his ball stays when we aren't playing with it

then at me, as if saying, "Wait, I wasn't done yet". I keep thinking I should dye his white hair silver and paint energizer on him... :rolleyes:

I agree you have to be VERY careful in the heat and humidity. Tempe has suffered twice.

1. It was actually a cooler than normal day about 80 degrees and low humidity (weeks previous was almost 95/high humidity). I only threw the frsibee about 7 times because I noticed her tongue turning red and that concerned me. We went inside the house which is air conditioned. Within 5 minutes I heard some banging and turned around and saw she could not walk. Every time she stood up she collapsed. I rushed over and got a towel and soaked it in cold water plus pulled an ice pack out of freezer. I then took Tempe and the towel upstairs to the fan that was blowing. I soaked her belly and made sure the belly was open to the fan. Within minutes she was cooled off and showed no lasting effects. I did call the dog walker and gave them a heads up to watch for it though.

2. About a month after the first episode the dogwalker came over on another lower temp/low humidity day and played with the dogs. Supposedly Tempe did not show signs of overheating until about 10 minutes later. The dogwalker said that when she went to put the dogs in crates Tempe looked at her blankly and was not listening. You see the routine is - go to cookie jar and dogs race to crates and get in. Tempe just stood there looking into space and was not "with it". The dogwalker promptly got a towel and wiped her belly down with cool water and sat with her for a few minutes. Tempe was fine within 10 minutes and acted as nothing happened. The dogwalkers are now told that any time they play with the dogs they must stay around for 10 minutes to make sure Tempe is ok. Good thing the owner of the business is a friend.

Anyways, my point being is heat exhaustion can happen at anytime including winter time.

You need to watch for signs of the eyes dilating, tongue hanging out, tongue turning a deep red, tongue curling drastically, squinty eyes, etc... if you see any of these signs you need to stop and start cooling the dog down.

FWIW, some years ago I went to a local ballfield to play frisbee with Willow. It was spring and then temps couldn't have been much above 70. There was a patch of shade where I rested her frequently. Even with all the precautions I took, on the walk home, she collapsed and I was left to franticly wave down a passing farmer to get her home and into cold water quickly. She was less heat tolerant for the rest of that year, but I don't think it affected her permanently.

Oh, how terrible! That reminds me of listening to a coworker last year basically relive the truama losing his dog to heatstroke on a spring day many years ago. It was also about 70 but fairly humid. The dog was young and in shape. They were out running together in the woods when the dog suddenly collapsed.

If he gets wobbly in the rear, then you've gone too far

So that's what happened to my foster girl! About 15 minutes after I got her home, we had just finished playing ball in the yard and I brought her inside and I just about panicked. She was walking like there was something wrong with her hips, like she couldn't bend her back legs, dragging her toes, tripping, etc. It was a little scary. She seemed otherwise just fine and I put her in her crate for a little while and she returned to normal. I never knew this was a common sign of heat exhaustion.

Hi,

Luckily Cody didn't exhibit any of the mentioned symptoms of heat exhaustion. Just a very big tongue, a huge amount of panting heavily and quite thirsty.

But now I know the signs to look for and also will not push him in the heat. Thanks to all for educating me, as well as some others.

His thick black coat definitely heats up fast in the sun!

I had a very scary experience with Scooter when he was about a year old. Outside, not too hot or humid, throwing the Frisbee and talking to the neighbor. Suddenly I looked and he was staggering towards me, couldn't stand up, acted like was trying to poop, but was too weak and fell over. I rushed him inside and covered him with wet towels, then took him to the vet (luckily only five minutes away) and had him checked out. By the time we got there he had recovered but the vet said it probably was heat stroke. We watch him very carefully now. He's gotten old enough to let us know when he's had enough too. He'll lie down, panting, in the shade or in the dirt. I try not to let him get to that point though. Something that seems to help on warmer days is to have the kiddie pool filled. He'll go over and jump in ever couple of throws, splashing water on his belly, then he's ready to go again. That black coat really soaks up the heat quickly.

Great and very timely topic. Our Toller will very clearly let us know when she's tired, but Kona, our BC will go foooorrrrreeeevvvveeerr if there's a ball around (like many have posted previously).

I appreciate the info on the "drunk walk." I have noticed that his tongue will have a noticable "progression" of signs;

Having a good time: light panting, eyes dilated, tongue slightly out the front of mouth

Having a good time, getting a good workout: Moderate panting, tongue hanging farther out front of mouth

Having a good time, guess I'd stop if you made me: Heavy panting, tongue hanging out of side of mouth

Having a good time, I should probably stop before I topple over in place: Heavy panting, laying down then getting up, tongue out the side of mouth nearly hitting the floor.

Pretty tough overall as every stage looks like he's having a good time!

As soon as I see my dogs willing to lie down on their own, we go home. Of course that doesn't take long on days like today... good ole' Phoenix was 112. We also avoid going out for long on high polution days... I am not sure how many of you guys have that, but when you are down wind from LA sometimes you just can't go out.

I have noticed that Black Jack will go forever also, if I let him. Most of the time when he starts to get tired he'll either lay down on his own, or stop bringing the toy back. When he does either of these or just seems tired I'll stop and we go inside where it's cool. We have been lucky. It's only been in the 70's to low 80's with low humidity. So it's not bad yet. I think we usally play for about 15 to 30 minutes once or twice a day. That's outside play though. he also gets to play a little bit off and on inside too.

Popcorn has had the wobblies and the drunk walk when overheated too. VERY scary indeed. But scarier is the fact that if he gets any hotter he has seizures.

We fixed it by playing with the dogs early in the morning or later in the evening when it is coolest. We also play only in the yard where I have their kiddie pool filled to the brim. And I keep it in the shade. And this way, they don't over heat anymore. A simple fix for us. And best of all, Poppy hasn't had a single seizure this year!:rolleyes:

I thought I'd mention that if you have airconditioning and keep your dog inside it makes a big difference to how quickly they can over heat.

Down here in humidity land the temps don't have to be high. We walk early or late in the day. They all have access to the pond after our walk. But I have to keep reminding myself that my walk is short, theirs is about 5 times longer than mine because they're all off lead and run around though the woods at least that much more than I walk. If I feel they are getting to hot we stop in the shade for a quick break/cool off time. You can tell they are ready as they all come racing back and plop into the shade. We don't move again till all get up and look ready to continue.

For all our sakes I try to stay outside for about 20 minutes after our walk. They swim, I sit, and we calm down. I worry about going right back into the a/c to fast. I get cold from being sweaty and they seem to stay tired longer if we go in right away. I also don't feed them right before or right after our walks.

We can't work sheep except early morning and even then I try to get them in the pond first. Our sessions are probably only 5 minutes and they're to hot to continue (at least in my mind) If it's humid when we get up I usually skip any training that day. If I have chores to do which don't take near the brain power we do them slowly so they seem to be able to handle the heat better.

I do think that if they were never in air conditioning we wouldn't be having near as many issues. It's all in the conditioning!

For our excersise on a hot day, we play fetch in the pond. The ones that don't fetch will still just get in the pond for a swim. Only one that gets hot is me!

After seeing heat stroke, I never again want to experience it. Less is the rule for us. I feel that if you see staggering you're way over the line. If one starts to stagger I start to panic.

Kristen

Hi, I took Cody to a nearby soccer field yesterday to run after tennis balls I flung with a ChuckIt. It sends the ball way far out and he runs out, catches it and runs back. After only about two or three times, he was panting heavily, tongue long out of his mouth, and laying down.

I know dogs pant instead of sweat. It was about 90 degrees-- hot and sunny with no trees in sight.

How can I tell with Cody when "enough is enough"? I had plenty of water for him and for me. By the way, he's two years old and very active in general. He would have kept going and going and going and going, I think, even with all the panting and laying down.

The "laying down" is a good clue. If you keep throwing the ball (or sending the dog out to work sheep) they will continue to do it literally until they fall over with heat exhaustion, but if you watch you will see them start to slow down on the way back or lie down panting waiting for you to throw the ball where before they were standing and anticipating the throw. That's a Border Collie "resting up" and is usually a good sign that you need to seek shade and/or water for them to cool off (not just water to drink but water for them to lie in and cool off).

Sometimes they will run out to fetch the ball and then lay down when they get it, before bringing it back. That's probably a sign that you've gone a bit too long.

A dog that's fit and acclimated can work or exercise in 100 degree heat (for short periods) but a dog that's overweight, not fit, and/or not acclimated can quickly overheat and get into real trouble in anything much over 75 especially if there is any significant humidity, and it doesn't take long to go from healthy dog to dog-in-serious-trouble.

Fetch is more dangerous. than work. A working dog can moderate their pace a lot of the time to suit the conditions (especially since sheep get slower and heavier in the heat) but a Border Collie after a ball seems to lose any good sense it ever had (once addicted to fetch) so the human needs to be more careful.

Pearse

The "laying down" is a good clue. If you keep throwing the ball (or sending the dog out to work sheep) they will continue to do it literally until they fall over with heat exhaustion, but if you watch you will see them start to slow down on the way back or lie down panting waiting for you to throw the ball where before they were standing and anticipating the throw. That's a Border Collie "resting up" and is usually a good sign that you need to seek shade and/or water for them to cool off (not just water to drink but water for them to lie in and cool off).

Sometimes they will run out to fetch the ball and then lay down when they get it, before bringing it back. That's probably a sign that you've gone a bit too long.

A dog that's fit and acclimated can work or exercise in 100 degree heat (for short periods) but a dog that's overweight, not fit, and/or not acclimated can quickly overheat and get into real trouble in anything much over 75 especially if there is any significant humidity, and it doesn't take long to go from healthy dog to dog-in-serious-trouble.

Fetch is more dangerous. than work. A working dog can moderate their pace a lot of the time to suit the conditions (especially since sheep get slower and heavier in the heat) but a Border Collie after a ball seems to lose any good sense it ever had (once addicted to fetch) so the human needs to be more careful.

Pearse

Thanks for the great advice. I didn't realize "fetch is more dangerous than work" but that makes total sense.

I got beat up over this topic during the winter. I use extreme caution in the summer. Ruger is two different dogs during the seasons. During the fall and winter, you can't stop him. When it gets humid or hot, WATCH OUT.

A full time ranch dog is probably use to the weather conditions. Sheep are not going to be herded constantly either. Remember, these dogs were bred in Wales and Scotland. I doubt the weather is much like Montgomery, Alabama in the summer. 80 degrees could be miserable there and 20 degrees was some of the most bone chilling hunting I have ever done.

I think working the family dog should be like this. Can you put on a fur coat and comfortably run? If not, play it cool. :rolleyes:

I agree you have to be VERY careful in the heat and humidity. Tempe has suffered twice.

That's interesting. I have one of Tempe's littermates (Gift) and although he's never yet had a reaction anything like that strong (good thing Tempe has such an observant mommie!) he's definitely less heat tolerant than any of my other dogs. I wonder if it's genetic?

It's not a general lack of stamina. In the winter, Gift can rock and roll all day.

Gift also tends to have unusually pale gums when he's at rest. I've had him tested out the wazoo, and everything always comes back totally normal. He just doesn't do well in the heat. He recovers quickly, but in the summer I keep exercise sessions short.

Seems sort of counter-intuitive, because Gift is very short-coated and also very calm. (My other dog who seems to feel the heat quickly also has problems with getting excessively wound up, and I think that dog partly overheats himself.) My hairy little black bitch who tends to be roly-poly can go much longer when it's warm out. Go figure.

As others have said, when my dog starts volunteering to rest himself, I take that as a sign he really does need a break. One of the other things I've learned to watch for is an involuntary head tilt. When that starts up, it's time to find a shady spot.

Liz Sharpe

My friend's BC overheated Saturday. He'd just run in an indoor agility trial, spent a few minutes outside with us in the sun, and then walked into an air conditioned flyball tournament. His back end went right out from under him and we had to rush him out to the hose and put some ice on him. It's the second time he's done this, and both times were at agility trials in summer. However he has never overheated while working stock in Florida. *shrug* I think it must have something to do with the mental aspect of agility, that he feels some sort of anxiety or excitement that adds to the overheating element.

Anyway, as the others have said, if you see wobbliness, you've gone too far. I've been working Jack on stock for a year, in the Florida heat. I just don't let him go long enough to get wobbly. And we watch for his fat, curly tongue. :rolleyes: He has yet to quit on his own or lie down on the job, but he will go head for the water bucket if he's had enough, so we take a break.

I read through all the posts, but quickly, so forgive me if Im repeating, but I didnt see where anyone had cautioned about when you see signs of over heating, do not allow the dog to drink large amounts of water either, as it can cause torsion. Most of my dogs dont seem interested in drinking when they get to hot, just laying in the water is what they want to do, but I have one I really have to watch, because he will.

I also wanted to add that a good way to cool your dog down quickly is to pour rubbing alcohol on their paw pads and rub it on the inside of the ears. (Don't pour it in the ears, for obvious reasons, just wipe their ears with it).

I like the tongue progression chart. :rolleyes:

Everyone has given great advice. When my dogs slow down, that's my signal. Also, when working with sheep....you want to be aware of the sheep's welfare. Tongue's hanging down are NOT a good sign. Time to change sheep and let them rest, they are critters, too. I had my heart dog almost ran to death- border collies do that- I just went in for a quick dinner while the neighbor kids played frisbee, only to find my dog weakened in the knees. I put her in the sheep tank and let her stay there until she opted to get out- pretty scary. After all these years, I know when to stop. In the heat, it could be 3 tosses - in the winter, it could be a dozen. I'm glad I have the irrigation ditch real close- always a back-up and then some water- that way, they don't drink too much.

Hi guys,

I know it is hard to tell when to stop sometime, but with my BC puppy i exercise her for short periods and i try to give her a lot of water, because i don't wanna take a chance.

but I am just wondering, how can a border collie herd sheep all day long in the hot weather? because they are running after the sheep all the time,

I try to exercise my puppy in the shade, and when it is cool