BC Boards

Zia, 2005-2008

Zia died last Monday, two days short of her third birthday. I don't have the words right now to tell you how extraordinary she was. (Although I've been reading such words and hearing them as people who knew her have contacted me to express not just their sympathy but their own sorrow.) She overcame severe shyness to make many friends and to become an extremely promising search dog. I have never known a living being who so consistently did her best--and her best was very good indeed.

She died about thirty-six hours after ingesting a huge quantity of Rimadyl (the tasty, chewable tablets) belonging to another dog-handler while we were at an out-of-town mock search. My hunch after doing some research today is that she probably died of salt intoxication (given to induce vomiting) rather than Rimadyl poisoning. The animal hospital was very surprised at how quickly she went downhill and how all the complications seemed to be neurological rather than those typical for overdoses of this anti-inflammatory. She was unresponsive for the last couple of hours--eyes open but not tracking movement--as we held her, talked to her, and sang to her. But she only let go when we were silent for several minutes. As her eleven-year-old best girl was holding her and almost drowsing off herself, Zia stopped breathing. She had tried her best, as always, to do what we were asking her to do. (And the vet and two techs did their best to resuscitate her, stopping their efforts only after several minutes--no one was ready to let her go.)

I have to write down a few lessons I've learned from this:

* Always make sure that anyone with whom I'm sharing living space (house-guest, sharing a motel room, etc.) does not have toxic substances within reach of my dog.

* Always use a crate unless I'm utterly sure that the space is safe for leaving my dog alone. (While taking other dogs for an early morning run I left Zia resting on a nice, soft bed--because she was so stiff and tired from a long search the day before.)

* Make sure that I always carry with me: fresh hydrogen peroxide and knowledge of the correct dosage to induce vomiting--if professionally advised; and the number to the ASPCA Poison Control Center (and a credit card).

* And that I never again rely on the advice of a vet tech acquaintance who would do something as harmful as pouring an unmeasured but unacceptably large dosage of salt down a dog's throat to induce vomiting. Salt can kill. I will know what I should know about first aid for my dog and I will keep the number of a vet with emergency hours on my cellphone so that I take no serious steps without consultation.

These are photos taken the day before she got into the Rimadyl. I printed them out and put them on her crate at the animal hospital so that the staff would know who she was:

083353.jpg

My shy dog playing tug with a teen she'd never met before--one of the last "victims" she ever found.

114413.jpg

I am deeply sorry for your loss. This is a real tragedy for all of you. Zia looks like a beautiful dog. I am so impressed that you have posted with these lessons learnt and suggestions for others. I know how a seemingly innocuous mistake can all too often lead to catastrophe ... I am so sorry that you had to experience this kind of heartbreak. My thoughts go out to you and your family.

Ailsa & Skye

I am so so sorry to hear this. The shock and loss that I and others here feel is minuscule compared to yours, but let me assure you, it is real. Thank you for sharing your lessons; it took great strength to do so. Our thoughts are with you as well.

-Sharon and Allie

:rolleyes: Poor baby. Her life was short, but it sounds like it was filled with love. I bet she will be a hard working rescue angel, looking out for people who are lost and alone.

The ASPCA hotline is very helpful. It has saved two of my dogs (mercury, Advil cold and sinus). Everyone with a pet should have it on their cell phone or next to their land line.

From their page...

As the premier animal poison control center in North America, the APCC is your best resource for any animal poison-related emergency, 24 hours a day, 365 days a year. If you think that your pet may have ingested a potentially poisonous substance, make the call that can make all the difference: (888) 426-4435. A $60 consultation fee may be applied to your credit card.

What a horrible shame. So sad to hear about your loss. Her need for her to find lost souls will not stop however, just change in location and altitude. God's speed Zia.

If I could ask, where were those pictures of Zia taken at, seems Ive been there before.

I'm so sorry to hear about Zia. She lived a great, happy life with you though, and her last days were spent having fun and doing what she loved (as anyone can see from the pictures).

I'm sure you're completely overwraught with grief and a thousand other emotions right now. Try not to blame yourself. Tragic accidents happen, no matter how careful owners are. One of my boys broke into Rimadyl once and overdosed as well. He was just lucky in pulling through it. It's unfortunately not an uncommon occurence. You did everything you could for your girl, and she knows and loves you for it.

OMG, after getting your PM last weekend, I kept looking for updates, hoping to hear everything was ok. I am so sorry for what happened to Zia. She was a wonderful friend to you, and a great dog. My heart goes out to you. So sorry.......

I hate stories like this - so many what ifs and the horrid loss of a young dog to boot. I'm so sorry you're going through this now. Perhaps your loss can teach others.

Rest in peace, Zia. ((hugs)) to all who loved her.

I am so sorry. That's terrible. Zia looked like a great dog and full of life. I know she had a lot of great times with you. I hope you can look back at those good times and remember her that way. My heart goes out to you.

Oh, no. :rolleyes: I am so very sorry. Words are inadequate, I know, with the heartbreak you're going through, but my thoughts and prayers are with you. She was beautiful, and her spirit showed through in every photo I ever admired.

Run free, Zia. You will be missed.

Oh Jesus, I am so sorry. Devestating. Terrible- I never met Zia, but your description of her tells me all I need to know. I've tears in my eyes. I hope that your memories of this wonderful girl will remind you that you can go on, as she did- and in her memory, be stronger. Again, my deepest condolences.

I'm so sorry for your terrible loss. What a tragic way to lose someone so dear to you. She was a beautiful dog and your photos and words evoke such emotion, even to those who have never met her. You and your family will indefinitely be in my thoughts and prayers.

I'm at a loss of words. I can't even imagine. My best boy is the same age as Zia and I can't imagine going through what you are going through right now. I had always really liked Zia. I remember many of your other SAR stories about her. I still have the calendar with her as one of the December dogs. Run free Zia. You will be missed even by many people who never even met you.