BC Boards

PETA on Steve Irwin (rant)

PETA regarding Croc Hunter Steve Irwin

• By Jeannette Walls
    MSNBC
    Updated: 2:52 a.m. CT Sept 11, 2006
    Some animal lovers aren?t shedding any crocodile tears for Steve Irwin.

The Aussie naturalist, known as the Crocodile Hunter, was killed last week by a stingray while filming off the Great Barrier Reef. But the folks at PETA are neither surprised nor upset by his passing.

?It comes as no shock at all that Steve Irwin should die provoking a dangerous animal,? PETA?s Dan Mathews tells The Scoop. ?He made a career out of antagonizing frightened wild animals, which is a very dangerous message to send to kids.?

Does Irwin?s career as a naturalist impress the animal-rights group? Says Mathews: ?If you compare him with a responsible conservationist like Jacques Cousteau, he looks like a cheap reality TV star.?

This infuriates me so bad. First of all Steve Irwin was not "provoking" the stingray. The Aussie police who have watched the video of him being attacked said he did nothing to provoke it. Secondly, he saved a lot of animals, made people aware of dangers and helped the Australia Zoo tremendously. Comments like this are horrible, especially when he has a wife and 2 kids left who will hear them say this crap.

What good do them commenting like this do? Them making vile remarks like this do nothing to help the cause of animals. I dont see why they even had to comment. Talk about him when he's alive, state your opinions then. But dont talk about a man who died as if he deserved to.

I went to the website and got the email address and wrote them a letter. I havent gotten a response yet, and I doubt I will.

I'm sure people will consider the source.

I've read that a person is known as much by his enemies as by his friends. Heck, even if I'd never heard of Steve Irwin, the fact that PETA disapproves of him would make him all right in my book.

God! PETA is so arrogant and ignorent!!

They should talk! The way they go about trying to supposedly "educate people" about animal abuse is appalling. They actually push people away with their "in your face" attitude of gore and anger.

Last I'd heard(last week some time) it was decided that the film man is the one that accidently "provoked" the stingray by getting too close. And the stingray got scared and put it's tail up. Unfortunately Steve was in the way.

People may not agree with how Steve did things, but one thing is for sure, he did a great many wonderful things for the animals, as well as the fact that he educated countless people, (among them- me)about the beauty that even crocodiles have if you really look.

Well, PETA has a point, and I am no PETA supporter. Although I think Steve did a world of good publicizing the plight of wild and strange creatures, and I understand he donated most of his fortune back to the animals buying up thousand of acres of wilderness perserves etc., the fact remains that he did actually go out of his way to provoke wild and dangerous animals on a regular basis. The man made a career out of doing so! While this may have been a freak accident, it was no surprise to me that he died this way. I always expected he'd get in the way of the wrong dangerous animal at some point in his career.

This is not to say it's not tragic for him and his family, or that I put a lot of store in anything (else) PETA says ... just that they aren't that far off base. If you make your living do something dangerous, the odds are proportionately higher that it's going to be your demise one day. Even if you are really good at it.

RDM

The report I saw said that the stingray was caught between the photographer behind it and Steve in front. Whether or not the intention was to trap it, it sure felt trapped.

I don't have cable (we have an antena on the roof - us troglodytes). But I have seen bits of Steve's show. He sure did go out of his way to make animals at least seem to be attacking him, when they would not have done so otherwise.

I live in the South. Does no one else think of the classic, "Hey, watch this!"? The official Southern obit.

Let me explain myself more . The man is dead, what good comes from saying now, after his death that he was a "cheap reality star"? Think what you want to about him, my issue is that they went public with this cruel comment for pure publicity, not caring about his hurting wife and 2 kids. They put this out the day of his funeral, I mean that is heartless.

I dont think he provoked animals, I do think that he observed and showed people the beauty of animals people would have otherwise overlooked. But it doesnt matter now if he provoked or not, in terms of my complaint. Im not upset they said its no surprise he died that way, because even HE said he would, and HE thought it would be underwater! Purely my issue is that they came out attacking a dead man (the day of his funeral no less) with a heartless comment they knew would provoke attention and publicity.

Whether Steve 'provoked' these animals or not, in my opinion he placed his life on the line to educate people around the world about animals, enadnagered, dangerous, common, and misunderstood alike. His educational programs spread the word on why people should respect animals, and not harm them. Without his words, and his TV shows, as dorky and eccentric as they may have been, there would still be people out there poaching crocs because they think they're brainless killing machines.

And as was mentioned before, most of his fortune went right back to the animals, their habitats, and nature preserves.

He was a great man, and will be sorely missed.

No matter what anybody says, Steve was a great, kind man. All he loved was his family and animals. Anyone who knew him knew that. Why would he take all that money just to make a great Zoo like that? I think PETA sucks and I have never liked them (and never will) they always wait until something bad happens and jump on the chance to cut someone down. I think Steve was a hero to a lot of people and always will be. It was terrible what happened to him, but he's gone. Leave him and his family alone! Let him rest in peace. God Bless

Well, Steve Irwin was a public figure. His fame brought him a lot of revenue, but it also gives people the right to express their opinions about him. Even people like PETA - but don't get me started on that bunch.

I've swam along just over stingrays myself on many occasions. Believe me when I tell you I am not a bold diver :rolleyes: - it's just that stingrays really aren't considered dangerous animals. Far from it, as they are fairly reclusive creatures. They remind me a lot of cats for some reason - I think it's their eyes.

So I really can't agree that Mr. Irwin was somehow asking for trouble. His interactions with crocodiles and venomous reptiles looked very dangerous to me - but then I haven't grown up with these animals and spent a lifetime learning how they're going to react. I imagine they're like most animals and are really fairly predictable to the person who knows what to look for and expect.

Anyway, at least in his early work, lots of the "provoking" he did involved capturing crocs who were in danger of being shot for livestock predation.

I think it's all a matter of personal opinion. I'm sure Peta would say that what we do with our dogs or our sheep is horrible. To each his own, just keep yours on your side of the fence and I will do the same. Not that I?m condoning abuse in any shape or form, I do not think S.I. abused animals.

I personally loved Steve Irwin's shows. I think the way he handled animals was just that. Handling animals. Some do it this way, some do it that way.

Out of all the famous people who've died in the lime light, Steve Irwin has been the most thought about person for me, with the idea that I will miss his sparkle for life. What a sad ending to a wonderful man.

Kristen

I feel sad that Steve Irwin is gone. He did a lot of good for animals and the environment.

Does it surprise me that he didn't live to be an old man? No it doesn't.

On the day that his death was reported I watched his "Crocodile Hunter" show on Animal Planet. It was a fascinating show that had been filmed in Antarctica. One sequence caught my attention.

There was a large leopard seal on a rocky area next to the sea. Steve, in a lying-down position, approached that seal to where his head was about five feet away from the seal's head. Steve commented about the size of the seal's mouth and jaws. He said something about how the seal could take a man's head into its mouth in one bite and then crush the man's skull.

I don't know how fast the seal can move on dry land like that, but in my opinion Steve was way too close to a dangerous wild animal. Fortunately the seal stayed put and did not attack Steve, but it would have been a very dicey situation if it had attacked. My thinking is that a full blown attack would have caught and killed Steve.

It was some very dramatic video but I think Steve was foolhardy. That style of approaching dangerous animals is exactly what got Steve killed.

Here is a link to a National Geographic News article about Leopard Seal Kills Scientist in Antarctica. They are meat eaters and they are dangerous. I don't think it was a matter of IF an animal was going to kill Steve. It was a matter of WHEN.

Originally posted by Hector:

That style of approaching dangerous animals is exactly what got Steve killed. . . I don't think it was a matter of IF an animal was going to kill Steve. It was a matter of WHEN.

Leopard seals, yes, I agree those are dangerous animals - although in the article you linked it appears that marine scientist was the first documented human fatality caused by a leopard seal. Of course all one would have to do is pop up beside me in the water and I'd oblige it by dying of a heart attack. :rolleyes:

But a stingray? Nope. Not in the same class at all.

Oddly, though, I seem to remember reading there are six documented cases of stingrays killing people by stabbing them through the heart, as in Irwin's case. Which, though still rare, is five more fatalities than leopard seals have caused. But since there are no dive resorts I'm aware of that market "dive Leopard Seal City" vacations, I'm going to put that down to stingrays having waaay more opportunity.

Not that it matters, really, now that the poor man's dead. I just find it ironic that he was killed by such a normally harmless beastie. Through apparently no fault of his own.

I enjoyed Steve Irwin's shows because the fact of the matter is that the man read animals better than anyone I have ever seen on TV, including animals whose behavior is difficult for most humans to read. He grew up capturing "rogue" crocodiles alongside his father and had skills most people don't have and never could. Would I advise the average schmuck to get within a foot of a wild leopard seal? No. Did I think Steve Irwin could do it and remain relatively safe? Yes. And he did.

Yes. He put himself in more danger than most people. No, I am not surprised that he was killed by an animal -- probability and all that. I am shocked, however, that the animal was a stingray. In this case it was really a matter of being in the wrong place at the wrong time. Stingrays are not generally dangerous animals.

I loved his enthusiasm, and how clearly he adored the natural world and his family. He did a lot for conservation, and introduced the public to a lot of animals that people normally have little to no relationship or sympathy for.

I also think it's inexcusable to put statements out like this at this time, when he has a grieving family including children who are old enough to understand.

Sally --

Clearly you are right that leopard seals and stingrays are not in the same class. The LS is a carnivore, a predator. Stingrays are docile and use their stinger in self defense, mainly against sharks.

But I respectfully disagree that Steve died "through apparently no fault of his own." Steve made a fatal error in judgement. He crowded the stingray into a position where it perceived a threat and it reacted in self defense. It was bad luck that the stinger struck in a lethal place. But there was clearly an error in judgement.

My point in mentioning Steve's leopard seal encounter is that IMHO he made an error in judgement there too. Fortunately luck was on his side that time and nothing happened.

But when a person makes a regular habit of very close encounters with potentially lethal animals, that is living dangerously. The person only has to get it wrong one time and he is history. Steve's one fatal error was with a stingray. Statistically speaking, getting chomped by a crocodile would have been more likely. But either way he is dead.

And I feel very sad about it.

Hector

Originally posted by SoloRiver:

I enjoyed Steve Irwin's shows because the fact of the matter is that the man read animals better than anyone I have ever seen on TV, including animals whose behavior is difficult for most humans to read. He grew up capturing "rogue" crocodiles alongside his father and had skills most people don't have and never could.

That's exactly what I loved about his show. Very well put.

Hector - I share your sorrow at Mr. Irwin's passing.

I too am heartbroken about Steve's death. He educated and brought attention to people about animals that are thought of as even evil in some people's minds. I have heard many people say how they either have or would go out of their way to kill a snake, even a harmless one like a little garter snake, or a black snake... and we sure know how many alligator purses and shoes are on the market. I too watched the animal planet the other night when they ran a special on Steve and his life. I very much agree with what Hector has stated.

His zest for life and his energy were contagious to say the least. What a sad loss for his family and human friends as well as the animals. I think it will be interesting to see if his children do "pick up the baton", as they mature, as he stated in the animal planet's tribute. His wife is a wonderful animal lover as well and I am sure she will guide their children in their father and grandparents foot steps, to love, educate, and care for animals.

At the risk of starting a neverending " heated discussion" (which is not my intention),

As far as PETA... as many of you know I worked many years with PETA. As with ANY, organization there are people on both ends of the "political" spectrum. I can only say from 1st hand experience that there are very many peta members that work night and day to help animals, educate people and often put themselves in harms way to rescue or protect abused animals. Unfortunately, some of the "higher ups", are the ones that get the media attention and the media is ALWAYS, looking for sensationalization anyway, so that is what the general public sees, hears and apparently knows/thinks of peta. I do not agree with alot of the statements and I am not trying to defend them or media coverage of peta... but like I said, this is a very large organization and the bad apples seem to float to the top!

And Bustopher... FYI....There really are people out here who do no choose to eat animals. I am a strict vegetarian and I eat tasty veggies, fruits, nuts and nut/soy products ! I "try", not to be an obnoxious vegetarian. I am the only one in my entire family and circle of friends/aquaintences... however I can tell you that I am the one who usually gets taunted by the meat eaters...not the other way around (for the most part!) Don't get me wrong I can surely hold my own when it comes to defending my personal choices and the reason(s) for those choices,( or anyone elses for that matter, even if I don't agree). :rolleyes: .

I am only adding this FYI, because your statement about "eating tasty animals", in my opinion does not deserve a

:D and I do not see a need for your hurtful attempt at humor.

Again, I am not trying to start something... just my 2 cents worth FWIW.

For the Love of People Like Steve Irwin who really loved the animals, that so many didn't care about, He will be missed

:D

I'm seriously hating PETA these days.

The city council of La Junta, Colorado is debating BSL, and last week the mayor cited PETA's well-publicized stand ["we must exterminate the vicious, unpredictable pit bull to save it" --- shelters should kill every pit bull that comes through the door] as reason to place restrictions on pit bulls. The mayor said, "If even PETA doesn't support them, why should I?"

So thanks, PETA, for more breed specific legislation. Thanks for supporting laws that would require me to put a muzzle on little Bounce, the world's dearest, friendliest, most trusting and trustworthy dog, along with a three-foot, 300lb-tested chain, every time she leaves my property. Thanks for encouraging politicians to impose such torments. Thanks for your eagerness to deny other people the chance to adopt great dogs like Bounce and Sneak.

The moral idiots setting policy for this organization don't know anything about dogs, and even less about the breeds they're demonizing. Their hope that the domestic dog will become extinct is a matter of public record. They must be rubbing their hands together and hissing to each other, "One breed at a time! One breed at a time!" as politicians like Mayor Rizzuto buy into their ignorance and bigotry.

A cousin of mine was a generous, long-time PETA supporter until I told her about their stand on pit bulls (and on Steve Irwin, who not-so-coincidentally owned a Staffy bull). I'm glad to say that PETA won't get another penny from her. "And they call that ethical treatment...?!" Cruel and immoral is more like it: denying wonderful dogs the chance of adoption, forcing well-behaved, friendly dogs to wear muzzles and be walked on short, heavy chains... yes, I'm hating PETA more than ever these days. "Ethical"? Spare me. More like People for the Evil Treatment of Animals.

Topic: Steve Irwin did more for animals in 30 minutes than PETA could do in a million years.

In the NY Times, real experts praised Irwin and called him a gifted biologist. And one of the most heartfelt tributes came from some folks just down the road from me:

We are deeply saddened to know that we no longer share the planet with one of the greatest advocates for dangerous wildlife of all times. Our thoughts and prayers go out for the Steve Irwin family.
These words were posted on the homepage of Loma Linda University Medical Center Venom ER. SoCal is Reptile City, and if a rattlesnake nails you, you'll find no better doc in the world than Sean Bush, MD, herpetologist and advocate --- like Steve Irwin --- for the animals many people hate and fear.

I grew up catching snakes and lizards. My dad loved woodworking and built sturdy cages for everything we caught. Dad was ahead of his time, if not as enlightened as Steve Irwin: Dad's rule was, "You can keep it for one day, and then you must let it go where you found it." Now I try to share with my students the wonder I felt as a kid: there's nothing like a little gopher snake breathing in waltz time in your cupped hand, falling asleep while you finish your classwork.

I totally agree with Melanie's comment:

I enjoyed Steve Irwin's shows because the fact of the matter is that the man read animals better than anyone I have ever seen on TV, including animals whose behavior is difficult for most humans to read.
Anyone who's spent any time around reptiles knew how good he was. Rest in peace, Steve. You were a great advocate for wildlife, and truly "one of the greatest advocates for dangerous wildlife of all times."

[My dentist is a surfer (it's California) and was speared by a sting ray barb as he walked in shallow water last year. The barb ripped a hole in the bottom of his foot --- he needed surgery and missed months of work. Said it was the most painful thing ever.]

Even if the barb had not pierced his heart, he would still have been in serious trouble since the venom/toxin is a vasoconstrictor (Rangel, MD) which is not something you'd want injected near your heart.

What a tragidy for his family and the animals he loved (in the wild and in captivity).

As far as PETA, it was a way for them to grab some news coverage without much effort.

Mark