Photo

Are dogs allowed in Canadian National Parks?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 ripley

ripley

• Registered Users
  • 377 posts

Posted 28 December 2007 - 01:27 AM

I'm thinking about taking a trip this summer to Nova Scotia and I would like to bring Yoshi. I would plan on spending most of my time hiking , so I'm wondering if dogs are allowed in the National Parks in Canada. There are very strict rules about US National Parks (dogs are often not allowed on the trails), but I couldn't find anything about Canadian Parks. I found the government website, but it doesn't seem to say anything about dogs. I've emailed them, but thought I'd check here too to see if any of you Canadians have taken your dogs hiking in National Parks. Places I might go include Cabot trail in Cape Breton Highlands National Park, Alexander Graham Bell National Historic Site, Kejimkujik National Park, and Prince Edward Island. Thanks!!

#2 Allie Oop

Allie Oop

• Registered Users
  • 3,391 posts

Posted 28 December 2007 - 08:42 PM

We went to Canada for two weeks with Allie several years ago and had a wonderful time in the National Parks there. We spent a lot of time in Glacier, Waterton, Banff and Jasper. Obviously, there are a lot of places that dogs can't go (i.e. the hot springs, museums, etc.), but if you plan your trip well you can do and see a lot of fabulous things.

When you go to the Parks Canada website, you need to select the individual park you are interested in from the list of the parks and then the information on pets is often found in the Visitor Information - Plan Your Trip and Safety sections. I just glanced at the Cape Breton page and it looked like dogs on leash are allowed on some of the trails, but not on swimming beaches or certain trails. You then have to go to the individual trail listings to see if dogs are allowed. It takes a little longer to search because each park has its own rules and regulations, it's not "across the board". When you do searches you will also have the best luck with the term "pets", rather than "dogs". There are some parks that don't permit dogs due to issues with Caribou and other wildlife, but most do, as long as they are on leash.

We did a lot of fun things and Allie was even permitted to go on the glacier near the Columbia Icefields. We camped for the majority of our trip and Allie had a ball.

Good luck and have fun!
Deb, Allie & Rusty

Walkies (aka "Taking a Constitutional")
A Blog

2011 Western Border Collie Rescue Calendars - Available Now!

Posted Image

Help Border Collies in Need - Order Yours Now!

#3 ripley

ripley

• Registered Users
  • 377 posts

Posted 28 December 2007 - 10:10 PM

Thanks for the tips! I hate leaving Yoshi behind when I go on trips, so I'm wanting to go somewhere where he can come along. I'm glad to hear you had a good experience taking Allie. I will have to check with the individual parks to see what percentage of trails allow dogs.

#4 Alaska

Alaska

Yawwwwwwwwwn

• Registered Users
  • 1,451 posts

Posted 30 December 2007 - 03:27 AM

Hey Ripley,

Check these out:

Nova Scotia parks where dogs can hike
PEI parks where dogs can hike

Poke around the rest of the site and you might find more useful info: Hike With Your Dog. If you download the free part of his book, you'll probably find just what you were looking for.

#5 ripley

ripley

• Registered Users
  • 377 posts

Posted 01 January 2008 - 01:15 AM

Thanks for the links Alaska! It looks like he will be allowed on at least some of the trails in the two National Parks in Cape Breton. That's too bad they can't go on the beaches at all. I would love to have some beach photos. :rolleyes:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Copyright: All posts and images on this site are protected by copyright, and may not be reproduced or distributed in any way without permission. Banner photo courtesy of Denise Wall, 2009 CDWall. For further information, contact info@bordercollie.org.