BC Boards

100 Things in 100 Days?

*this idea was taken from another forum*

Basically you make a list of 100 things you want to socialize your pups with in 100 days.

What do you socialize your pups with?

Here's my list, any more suggestions?

1. Used to my dog at home.

2. Skateboards, bikes, scooters, things like that

3. Pots and Pans crashing (not an everyday thing, just the sound)

4. Vacuum.

5. Hand Vac.

6. Air Comspressor

7. Gates

8. Cars (going by, closing doors)

9. Car riding

10. Crate.

11. X Pen

12. Standing on the grooming table

13. Moving surfaces (being moved on rugs, beds, ect)

14. Doors being shut right next to th pup

15. Dogs walking next to the pup and not getting overly excited

16. Flash lights

17. Bath Tub (jumping in when asked and staying in till told to get out)

18. Camera Flash

19. Dogs barking

20. Umbrellas

21. People in Hats

22. People in sunglasses

23. People in rain coats

24. Police Men

25. UPS Man

26. Mail Man

27. Peolple Jogging by

28. Trash Cans moving

29. Big Trucks (18 wheelers, ect)

30. Bridges

31. Walking in a crowd

32. Sitting next to new dogs

33. Waiting in the vet's office

34. Nails being touched

35. Nails being dremmeled

36. Paws being rubbed

37. Ears being touched/handled

38. Ear cleaner being put in

39. Cows, Sheep, Goats

40. Chickens and Pigs

41. Being handled by Children

42. Being around men with beards, ruff voices

43. Thunderstorms

44. Fires (we have a fire place and use it a lot in the winter)

45. All sizes of dogs

46. Hair Dryers

47. Places like Petsmart

48. Older People

49. Nursing Homes

50. Play Grounds

51. Being stepped over

52. Being Touched by strangers

53. Playing with all sorts of dogs (BIG to small)

54. Many people moving through our house.

55. Phone ringing

56. Leashes

57. Collar

58. Harness

59. Fireworks

60. Lawn Mower

61. Weededer (sp?)

62. Flower Pots

63. Rocking Chairs

64. Walking with a cane or walker

65. Mirrors

66. Flapping Tarps

67. Stairs (obviously for my house lol)

68. Post Office

69. Bank

70. Friend's Houses

71. My friends Farm

72. Walking in town

73. Puppy Play Group

74. Puppy Training Classes

75. Being Measured

76. Watching things (Agility Run, Herding, Ob competition, ect)

77. Music Being Played

78. Going out at night

79. All types of surfaces

80. Dish Washer/Dryer/Washing Machine

People of all races

People in wheelchairs, both manual and motorized

Trucks backing up

People ringing doorbells or knocking at the door

Smoke alarms

Blender

Sirens

Going to the bathroom on cement (sometimes necessary)

Kids running and squealing

Statues (especially of animals)

I think they taking this from Ian Dunbars 100 people from 8-12 weeks. That's only 56 days, but the goal is to make sure you give a puppy the broad spectrum human socialization it needs during the formative weeks. The people need to be difference races, sizes, dress, ages...etc.

Since you want this pup to do agility- I am assuming - as well as herding, you might look at the current series on raising a puppy in Clean Run magazine. The agility skills are specific, but the manners/socialization stuff is very similar to raising a good pup for herding. Being proactive, allowing the pup to learn within boundaries (setting him up for success)

Your list is good, and most will be handled during the human socialization. I don't like puppy play groups, as they are usually badly run and puppies end up getting frightened or learning to bullies. Sort of like letting a bunch of toddlers have a free for all.

Pups learn more by playing/being trained around well behaved mature dogs and puppies, and supervised interaction good natured older dogs that teach them manners.

Wendy, the only reason I was thinking of a Puppy Play group or Basic Training class is because, around here I wouldn't dare let this pup socialize with some of the dogs I know. You, and two other people I would trust a dog with their dogs.

I would like to do Agility, but I think first is going to come Herding.

Laurae, thanks! Didn't think of those.

It's about time you figured out who I was :rolleyes:

The pup should be fine doing it's dog socialization on the weekends. You can also plan some specific events during the formative weeks once you have an exact time frame. Attending a weekend class at the training center in Florida for example - you'd get a ton of different dogs in during that, as well as people.

My major problem is finding "odd" (sorry to those that love them) shaped and moving dogs for the pup to learn to generalize as normal too. Standard poodles, greyhounds (got that one covered now), big hairy things like Beardies or Old English. The first time Izzy saw O's greyhound it was in the house with her and she nearly fainted - big big BIG she said.

oh, Izzy has volunteered to be the one to teach the puppy dog manners. She's actually very stern LOL

I found out about a few weeks ago. I first saw your post on "sending your wool to canada" and rememberd you said something about that at a class. Then kinda, uhm, found out more by searching some of your posts :rolleyes: This community has so many people on here I didn't know about till way after I joined lol

Thanks, didnt think about maybe going to some of the classes in FL.

Wait, you have a greyhound? Since when? Don't know if you remember, but we also have a 10 y/o Standard Poodle.

So, between Lizzie (this pup will be so well-mannered with her in the house) and Izzy I should have a very well mannerd dog? lol

My sister has the grey. We keep her when she is out of town, and of course she comes with her to visit.

Lena...for the late Lena....and Jo....who is still with me. My heart dogs. I stopped signing posts out of convenience years ago. Most people know me. And if they don't, ah, they'll figure it out eventually :rolleyes:

I think I had another screenname before that, but I lost it with a computer and grad school.

Anyway, no real mystery. And if you guys wondered you should have just asked me :D Searching posts is way too much work...

I didn't see blow dryers, or metal grates (gates were on the list, perhaps that was supposed to be gRates?). Of course you do have a long list, so I could've missed it.

I've got a little something to say about socializing a pup, should go without saying but I'll say it anyway :rolleyes:....

One does need to remember to be careful about not overwhelming a pup too and to not 'force' a pup to deal

with things s/he isn't quite ready to handle... Make this happy and fun.

Just a word of caution, babies are impressionable with great 'bounce-back' so sometimes there is a fine line...

Fairgrounds

Drunk people (knew a guy whos dog attacked him if he came home drunk)

Fireworks if possible (there were some on the 1st couple of nights after I got Ben and then Nov 5th he was OK)

Blind people (thought I had everything (well as much as you can) covered with Ben but then one day he went totaly mental barking at a woman - from a distance he wouldnt have touched her - and she was blind - also she didnt speak English so I couldnt explain that all the noise was comming from a small puppy who wouldnt touch her and not from a big mean dog)

Yeah - Ben saw his 1st newfoundland in puppy class the other day - he was kinda friendly but some of the other dogs were 'WOW WHAT IS THAT?"

Drunk people (knew a guy whos dog attacked him if he came home drunk)

Ha! :rolleyes: In my younger days, when I sometimes (once in a very great while :D ) came home a little worse for wear, my late GSD/wolf hybrid had a great trick. Somehow he'd maneuver me so my back was to something that would hit the back of my knees, like the arm of the sofa. Then he'd rear up and extend his front paws, tapping my shoulders so I juuust tipped past the balance point. I'd collapse backwards like a sack of cement every time. :D Thanks for bringing back a great memory. :D

Thankyou!!

BC4Pack, yes, I will defiantly be very careful about not "going to fast" or force him to do something. I've learned my lesson the first time about not socializing a pup properly so I'm trying to do the best possible.

Couple of ideas:

Drive to a local airstrip/ airport... a train layby...

Just taking a pup along for the fun rides helps A LOT...

And short, frequent, POSITIVE experiences can do wonders overriding not being able to

experience EVERYTHING. Sometimes you are limited in where you can take a pup.

For most people it seems that exposing the pup to enough different and pleasant people is

more of an issue than environmental exposure.