BC Boards

So you missed Edgeworth?

So did I this year, alas. But for our viewing pleasure, there are two video clips of it on YouTube. The first shows Denise Wall and Mick, in a run that earned them 7th place. The second shows the winning run, Bev Lambert and Pippa. Mick is 9 and the amazing Pippa is 11.

The outrun at Edgeworth is more than 600 yards, but only the early part of Mick's is shown, and Pippa's is not shown at all -- her video starts at the lift. (Showing an outrun that long takes a long time, and is not that interesting since you can't really show it in relation to the sheep, so it's just a dog running, and when they get far out it's hard to see them anyway.) If you've never been to Edgeworth, you can get an idea of the size of the field from the lift and fetch, and also from occasional glimpses (e.g., when Bev is shedding). Other things to keep in mind: (1) There is a big dip in the field, so that dog and sheep are hidden for a long time in the middle of the fetch. (2) Instead of bringing the sheep all the way to the handler's post and turning them around it on the fetch, the dogs were asked to turn the sheep around a white barrel on the near side of the fetch panels; this saves some time so more dogs can run, and is somewhat more difficult, because the dog wants to bring the sheep to the handler and often has to be convinced that turning them out there is the right thing to do. (3) The shed was a split -- split off two sheep and hold them away from the other two.

That barrel turn also means the drive is done considerably further from the handler, which adds another bit of difficulty.

Bev was on fire at the trial, was 1st and 2nd both days. The trial was a blast as usual, great field, great sheep, great hosts, great competition!

Way to go Denise and Mick!

I love to watch Bev Lambert and Pippa work. Pippa is an amazing dog. She and Bev have a great rapport. I took this picture of them at the 2006 Soldier Hollow Trials. (I really do love to sit in front of the cooling tanks.) :rolleyes:

WaytoGoPippa.jpg

Aw, if Bev does really retire Pippa at the end of this season, we are going to have to have a whole thread of Bev and Pippa reminiscences and pictures. They are the neatest pair! That's an ice cream cone Pippa's getting after run at Soldier Hollow this year. If that is Soldier Hollow 2006 in Deb's picture, that must be Bev's lucky shirt!

pippa_ice_cream_3.jpg

Thank you, Eileen, for posting the link to these videos! Great job Denise & Mick and Bev & Pippa! And thanks to those that videotaped these and posted them on you tube for everyone to see. I've never seen the barrel turn. Wow! That sure adds a level of difficulty. Does anyone know what the distance was between the handler's post and the barrel turn just for reference? And from the handler's post, do the dog and sheep disappear in the gully for as long as it appears on the video, or is the angle much different than the vantage point of the camera?

Amazing, amazing, amazing. That might be a trial I plan a vacation around. Wow!

Jodi

The angle is a bit different from the camera for that dip. If your sheep are online, you can just *barely* see the tops of the sheep heads, and don't lose sight completely, from the post. Even a little offline, and they disappear for what seems like forever. Just as they start to go into that dip, it seems the dogs start really working the draw to the right side of the field as well, so sometimes the sheep pop up considerably further left than you'd expect.

Deb - Yep, that run with Pippa was a 96.

Thanks, Eileen, for posting those links. Here's a picture of the field with the course marked for anyone interested (you may need to click to view the full image in order to read it):

87407905.jpg

One thing to note is the distance is so far away that the sound takes maybe a second? to get to the dogs at the upper end of the course. I'm not too quick on the draw in real time so having to anticipate a second earlier is very hard.

I hope to be posting more videos of runs and also a few pictures later.

I can't quite tell from the perspective, but is the course on a hill?

Yes. The handler is actually on the slope of one hill, and the course slopes down and then goes up the big hill to the top where the sheep are set. The gully referred to is approximately where the words "set out" are on Denise's picture (it's just below that). On the outrun, dogs disappear when they go down into that gully and many a handler stands at the post hoping his/her dog doesn't cross over there, unseen.

J.

Beautiful, thanks for sharing!!

Newbie question:

(3) The shed was a split -- split off two sheep and hold them away from the other two.

Until now, I thought a shed was ALWAYS about splitting the group of sheep. Are there other kinds of sheds?

Denise, you do such an excellent job with these videos! Thank you again for videotaping Rook's run, taking the time to edit, adding your special touches and putting it on YouTube! You really have made this past year trialing so much more special for Rook and I!

Thanks to you Christine for videoing my run :rolleyes:

Diane,

Thanks! Mick can still be a bit of a handful even now but we understand each other. I'd certainly be blessed to ever have another as good as he is.

Sandra,

A shed means to shed off sheep. It can be one sheep, two sheep or more. If there are four sheep, a split means two and two.

I've always wanted to see Mick run. This was the next best thing to being there. Thanks for sharing it.

BTW, I watched Pippa's first run in the US. Beverly brought her to a novice halloween trial at Joanne Krause's old place in Connecticut and ran her non-compete in the ranch class, if I recall correctly. It was the first trial I ever ran in, with Molly in Novice/Novice.

If my memory serves, Pippa -- pretty much straight off the plane -- was a little rough around the edges and seemed unsure what to do on such a small field.

I had the privilige of watching Bev and Bill run at Meeker a few years ago. That last run, was absolutly inspiring. So much so, that i had to write her and give her an atta boy girl for that run. She had something like 14 seconds on the clock to pen, and stopped and sent Bill to the water tank. We were at the edge of our seats watching the seconds tick away. She got the pen with like 3 seconds left. You should have seen the audience! I, fell out of my chair. If Im not mistaken, she won that year with Bill. I always look forward to watching Bev with any dog she runs, but I had never seen anyone do that before, and for that, she has the utmost of my respect and admiration. And, I must say, that her hat isnt so big, that she did take the time to write a nobody like me a nice e-mail back, thanking me, and telling me, that she was more concerned for her dog than with winning the trial, and that she wanted to "keep if fun". She, gives us something to aspire to. Darci

Sandra,

A shed means to shed off sheep. It can be one sheep, two sheep or more. If there are four sheep, a split means two and two.

Okay, thanks for explaining!

She had something like 14 seconds on the clock to pen, and stopped and sent Bill to the water tank. We were at the edge of our seats watching the seconds tick away. She got the pen with like 3 seconds left. You should have seen the audience! I, fell out of my chair. If Im not mistaken, she won that year with Bill. I always look forward to watching Bev with any dog she runs, but I had never seen anyone do that before, and for that, she has the utmost of my respect and admiration.

Mine too! Wow. I wish all dog "sports" people of any kind had that sort of attitude.