I honestly just don't get it.

Jodi

#2 Bo Peep

Bo Peep

• Registered Users
  • 2,460 posts
  • Interests:Dystonia, PT Cruisers, NASCAR,

Posted 01 October 2007 - 01:50 PM

To take two very pretty dogs and keep breeding them until finally down the line you have a very pretty dog that could care less what sheep are.
Dianne the human and Usher the furry man in my life
http://usherssheepdo...g.blogspot.com/

#3 RaisingRiver

RaisingRiver

2 + 2

• Registered Users
  • 1,998 posts
  • Interests:discdog

Posted 01 October 2007 - 01:59 PM

The dogs looks so thick, heavy. Neither of my dogs have hips that wide or seems so thick. I know there's variety, but honestly, those dogs were very homogeneous.

ETA: The point? Um... yah.

#4 1sheepdoggal

1sheepdoggal

Ain't it a wonderment!

• Registered Users
  • 1,486 posts
  • Interests:I am an avid sheep dog gal and Certified Master Groomer, so anything dog is most interesting to me. But too, I love fishing, fishing, and oh, did I say fishing?!

Posted 01 October 2007 - 02:12 PM

To take two very pretty dogs and keep breeding them until finally down the line you have a very pretty dog that could care less what sheep are.

They already are there and most dont know what to do with stock. They have a vague idea that some thing should happen, but have no real value as a stock dog. Just a barbie dog. Shame too, but as is with a lot of breeds of dogs these days, they are split into two catagories, working quality, and show quality, oh, then theres some that have no quality.
Darci Johnson NCMG #UT16
http://1sheepdoggal.blogspot.com

"No one appreciates the very special genius of your conversation as the dog does.

#5 AKB

AKB

• Registered Users
  • 438 posts

Posted 01 October 2007 - 02:15 PM

Compared to the dogs on this board, I don't even find the AKC collies especially pretty. I was watching a dog show on animal planet a few weeks ago and the border collie had the weirdest face to me- it looked almost like a spaniel- just too soft and round. Overall though, I would have much less of a problem with the AKC if they at least didn't welcome commercially bred dogs and then turn around and ruin breeds that were better off without them.

#6 Dixie_Girl

Dixie_Girl

It's 5:00 somewhere!

• Registered Users
  • 4,035 posts

Posted 01 October 2007 - 02:15 PM

I gotta run Jackson to the vet, when I get back, I will post a pic that will knock your socks off! I promise!
Jackson-My boy
Skip-The delinquent
Cheyenne-My baby girl, RIP
Holly-She did the best she could, RIP
Sammy-Cat, extraordinaire, RIP

#7 OurBoys

OurBoys

Border Collies-They're not dogs, they're an addiction

• Registered Users
  • 2,186 posts

Posted 01 October 2007 - 02:20 PM

The dogs looks so thick, heavy. Neither of my dogs have hips that wide or seems so thick. I know there's variety, but honestly, those dogs were very homogeneous.

That was my first thought as well. I know they take extra care with the coats but that does not look like fluff to me.

Brenda

------------

Rescues Rock!

JJ (RIP 10/8/2014), Jake, Josie
DSC_0574cropped-1.jpg

#8 Laurae

Laurae

i'd rather be working my dogs...

• Registered Users
  • 3,174 posts

Posted 01 October 2007 - 02:26 PM

Besides being way too fat, did anyone notice how their backs sloped downward a la German Shepherd Dogs? Y I K E S !!!

Cheers,
Laura
5120876952_de8afa8164.jpg
Poetry in motion with Sophie, Taz, Meg, Ike, and puppy Gus!
And Craig waiting at the bridge.

See profiles of many top competitors from the 2011 National Sheepdog Finals in Carbondale, Colorado

#9 sluj

sluj

academia mut

• Registered Users
  • 1,105 posts

Posted 01 October 2007 - 02:34 PM

Compared to the dogs on this board, I don't even find the AKC collies especially pretty. I was watching a dog show on animal planet a few weeks ago and the border collie had the weirdest face to me- it looked almost like a spaniel- just too soft and round. Overall though, I would have much less of a problem with the AKC if they at least didn't welcome commercially bred dogs and then turn around and ruin breeds that were better off without them.

Hear, hear! Or even compared to some of the dogs showing up on petfinder :rolleyes:
"The greatest pleasure of a dog is that you may make a fool of yourself with him, and not only will he not scold you, but he will make a fool of himself too." - Samuel Butler
flickr, Photobucket, and dogster

#10 ShoresDog

ShoresDog

• Registered Users
  • 3,832 posts

Posted 01 October 2007 - 02:41 PM

The last dog, in close up from behind, had a rear end that looked literally twice as wide as Daisy's. Poor guy!

Jan & Daisy & Juno & Star
LJ Shores, San Diego CA

SHORESLIFEPHOTO

#11 AKB

AKB

• Registered Users
  • 438 posts

Posted 01 October 2007 - 02:44 PM

I got Ingrid on petfinder- and Pasqual and Eve (although they are decidedly not border collies. Especially Evie. She's a cat) Ingrid's only half BC but she looks more like what a BC should than the dogs in that film.

#12 PSmitty

PSmitty

Socially awkward nonsense babbler

• Registered Users
  • 9,053 posts

Posted 01 October 2007 - 02:50 PM

Compared to the dogs on this board, I don't even find the AKC collies especially pretty.

Couldn't agree more.

Now here are some gorgeous dogs:

http://www.bordercol...p...c=10470&hl=
Paula
Lilly, Jack, Alex & Will

#13 BustopherJones

BustopherJones

Annie & Missy - "MINE!!!"

• Registered Users
  • 2,420 posts
  • Interests:Enjoying my retirement with my wife and dogs

Posted 01 October 2007 - 03:04 PM

I'll take my Annie anytime over the Barbie Collies that I see in the conformance shows...
Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, "I will try again tomorrow." ~ Mary Anne Radmacher

#14 RaisingRiver

RaisingRiver

2 + 2

• Registered Users
  • 1,998 posts
  • Interests:discdog

Posted 01 October 2007 - 03:12 PM

Besides being way too fat, did anyone notice how their backs sloped downward a la German Shepherd Dogs? Y I K E S !!!

Which is totally opposite of River who slopes sightly up.

#15 Kyrasmom

Kyrasmom

• Registered Users
  • 1,011 posts

Posted 01 October 2007 - 03:23 PM

Is it Feb already? :rolleyes:

#16 Guest_WoobiesMom_*

Guest_WoobiesMom_*
  • Unregistered / Not Logged In

Posted 01 October 2007 - 03:34 PM

I saw some show on TV recently and the winning BC looked like a soft, dumb toy. Now I realize it wasn't working or anything, but it just looked thick in the head. It looked very complacent and fluffy and oh so deceiving to general public who probably went "How pretty!!! I want one of THOSE!"

oi!

Hanging out here has changed me. :rolleyes:

#17 nancy

nancy

Dixie's Old Fogie

• Registered Users
  • 3,056 posts
  • Interests:Grandgirl, cycling, reading, needlework, Dixie & Maggie, Chuck

Posted 01 October 2007 - 03:39 PM

Geez, they're pudgy and blow-dried! And all they can do is trot in a circle and prove they have teeth. Not a hint of sheep poop on any of them.

I'll take any of the pups that were at the picnic at Becca's over those things. The ones at the picnic were much more attractive. And some of them can really work!

We'll, Fergie works. She gets the paper and the mail, joins with the cat to announce meal times, and keeps our neighbor's lawn free of squishy persimmons.

#18 jdarling

jdarling

• Registered Users
  • 2,054 posts

Posted 01 October 2007 - 04:07 PM

Here's another one

Cookie Cutters

#19 Dixie_Girl

Dixie_Girl

It's 5:00 somewhere!

• Registered Users
  • 4,035 posts

Posted 01 October 2007 - 04:21 PM

Okay, here are the pics I promised. I have always suspected that Lucy was an AKC bred BC. I guess maybe I was right. :rolleyes:

Attached File  IM002669.jpg   824.38K   107 downloads

Attached File  IM002670.jpg   794.58K   91 downloads

Attached File  IM002671.jpg   753.91K   62 downloads
Jackson-My boy
Skip-The delinquent
Cheyenne-My baby girl, RIP
Holly-She did the best she could, RIP
Sammy-Cat, extraordinaire, RIP

#20 ClickMeBC

ClickMeBC

• Registered Users
  • 248 posts
  • Interests:Dogs, Border Collies, Agility, Herding, Disc Dog, Dog training, dog psychology, dog behavior...anything &quot;Dog&quot;!<br /><br />Horses, Arabians, Riding (Hunter/Jumper, 3-day eventing), horse psychology and behavior...pretty much anything &quot;horse&quot; as well. :)<br /> <br />Writing, Art, Painting(acryllic, oil, trying out pastel and watercolor), sketching, charcoal<br /><br />Skiing, Martial Arts, hiking, biking, running, swimming, being outside in general<br /><br />Computers, Photography(animals and nature), digital photography, digital video editing/movie making

Posted 01 October 2007 - 05:16 PM

I've always much preferred the look of the working BC over that of the AKC poof-balls. They have way to much body and hair, their legs look short and their faces are extremely soft and spaniel-like. They are cute in themselves...I must at least admit that. I don't consider it the dogs' fault that they aren't of working type, but in all truth, looks are not everything.
Sophie and the trio:
Sierra Mist
Hallie

And Quynn the Border Collie

Posted Image

Life's a Ball....Chase It.
Rest in peace, Sparky

"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and screaming "WOO HOO, What a Ride!"

Shoot for the moon...even if you miss, you'll land among the stars.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Copyright: All posts and images on this site are protected by copyright, and may not be reproduced or distributed in any way without permission. Banner photo courtesy of Denise Wall, 2009 CDWall. For further information, contact info@bordercollie.org.