60 replies to this topic

#1 SoloRiver

SoloRiver

Canis sapiens

• Registered Users
  • 4,701 posts
  • Interests:working sheepdogs, agility, behavior and training, rescue

Posted 01 September 2007 - 12:13 AM

I'm going to start with a small number of photos and add more later -- don't have much time to postprocess here. I am having a great time. I think I have a sunburn already, and considering that I never burn that tells you something. It is SUNNY here. And HOT.

Day One:

Posted Image
Jeanne Weaver and Jack at the pen.

I found the sign on the inside of the pen door a little ironic. No wonder the sheep don't want to go in there!

Posted Image
Bill Berhow and Pete at the post with the big, anomalous lighted scoreboard in the background (it is CRAZY! a lighted scoreboard at a sheepdog trial???)

Posted Image
I love Pete so I take pictures of him. Here he is turning the post.

Posted Image
Pete and his sheep in the shedding ring.

Posted Image
Bill Berhow and Pete at the pen. I don't know if you can tell but this field is very steep. The trees and roads crisscrossing it are also complicating factors.

Posted Image
Who could this mystery handler be?

Posted Image
Ha! Revealed by the giant lighted scoreboard! (See line starting with "next run.")

(Note the tagline on the bottom of the giant lighted scoreboard. It is true; each run features very fresh American lamb.)

Posted Image
Bill and his sheep on the fetch.

That's it for now. More tomorrow.
Melanie, Solo the Red, Superfly, and Jett Girl
My homepage
My photos on Flickr
Canine Behavioral Genetics Project

#2 ShoresDog

ShoresDog

• Registered Users
  • 3,970 posts

Posted 01 September 2007 - 12:24 AM

Great pictures, Melanie! We are lucky to have you there doing some good photography. Since Soldier Field is the only big trial I've been to, I assumed they all had huge scoreboards. Just kidding! I think the scoreboard might have been inherited from the venue's previous life as the nordic skiing or some such venue in the Winter Olympics. I'll look for you tomorrow.

Jan & Daisy & Juno & Star
LJ Shores, San Diego CA

SHORESLIFEPHOTO

#3 kelpiegirl

kelpiegirl

• Registered Users
  • 4,368 posts

Posted 01 September 2007 - 06:21 AM

Wow- looks like it is becoming more cultured, or, well, sort of like rodeo is to ranch work with all those beautiful signs, that lovely post, and the lit scoreboard. If we start seeing clowns, we are all in for it :rolleyes: I suppose my cowboy boots, and belt buckle will have to do- oh, no, what about chewin' tabaccy? OH GOD- I am out if that starts! At the bullriding we saw the other day, there were all these good looking cowboys- and then they spit...
Julie
Never wrestle with pigs, you only get dirty, and they like it.

http://kelpiematrix.blogspot.com/

#4 Allie Oop

Allie Oop

• Registered Users
  • 3,391 posts

Posted 01 September 2007 - 09:29 AM

Nice pictures, Melanie. I'm getting exciting about coming up! Unfortunately, it is going to be another hot one today - 97 degrees is the prediction. :D I like the lighted score board -- that way I always know who is competing. Jan is right, the huge scoreboard is left over from the 2002 Winter Olympics (cross country skiing, snow shoeing, biathalon, etc.).

A little anecdote about the "American Lamb" advertising - the media has done several pre-event shows and they were up to Soldier Hollow on Friday. Apparently, the morning show folks did a nice segment with a dog working the sheep and then moved to a person in the foreground who was doing a demonstration of one of the food booths that are set up (there is a LOT of wonderful food available, as well as the Fiber Festival for those who like checking out weaving, yarn making, etc.). The unfortunate thing was, the dog with the sheep was still in the background and the food demonstration was of . . . you guessed it, a lamb roasting on a spit. (I have to admit I have this on hearsay as I don't watch television and didn't see it myself, but I had at least 4 people at work who did watch it tell me they felt so bad for the sheep. :rolleyes: )

Julie, the event is actually pretty genteel. No chaw or clowns in sight. :D It is, however, a huge draw to spectators - most of whom know absolutely nothing about about sheep dog trialing. I heard they were expecting to break the attendance record of 20,000 spectators this year, so it is also well attended. They do have some duck herding competitions going and the K-9 Kings (dog frisbee show) in the upper area where the jousting, food and Fiber Festival are held. :D
Deb, Allie & Rusty

Walkies (aka "Taking a Constitutional")
A Blog

2011 Western Border Collie Rescue Calendars - Available Now!

Posted Image

Help Border Collies in Need - Order Yours Now!

#5 MrSnappy

MrSnappy

I have nothing better to do than take photos all day. zzzzzz

• Registered Users
  • 5,967 posts

Posted 01 September 2007 - 11:40 AM

I am so jealous that I couldn't make it this year. I really wanted to be there. I am so glad you are there with your camera Melanie!

RDM
That'll Do Border Collie Rescue-Vancouver, BC Canada
Posted ImageTDBCR - "Where every dog is a Star"
TDBCR / 3 Woofs & A WooTWoo / Big Air Photography

#6 Kat's Dogs

Kat's Dogs

:-)

• Registered Users
  • 3,886 posts
  • Interests:working dogs, behavior analysis, and veterinary medicine

Posted 01 September 2007 - 12:22 PM

Lovely pictures! (of course :rolleyes:)
I really like the first one of Pete. Amazing looking dog.

Kat & the dogs:
Peanut EAC, EJC, S-NCC, JHB, CGC (13 years, Shih Tzu)
NATCH, Vers-NATCH Dazzle GM, AAD, AR, S-EAC, O-EJC, S-ECC, S-TN-E, S-WV-E, S-TG-E, HP-E, TNE-400, RV-N, GV-N, CL3-R, CL3-S, CL3-H, JHB, CGC (9 years, Border Collie)
Kova RS-N, JS-O, GS-N, SJ, SS, NAC, NJC, NCC, WV-N (2 years, Golden Retriever)
dogs-joined_zpsdcb22738.gif

#7 Kim M

Kim M

• Registered Users
  • 42 posts

Posted 01 September 2007 - 01:03 PM

Wow! Incredible pictures. Thanks for sharing! Kimberley

#8 SoloRiver

SoloRiver

Canis sapiens

• Registered Users
  • 4,701 posts

Posted 02 September 2007 - 12:24 AM

A few from today. I didn't take very many today, too busy, and now too tired to postprocess more.

A couple of dog photos to start:

Posted Image
Don Helsley's Blue on the fetch. Bad lighting and blown highlights notwithstanding, I had to take this one because his facial markings are so cool.

Posted Image
An underwhelming attempt to rescue a mediocre panning shot of Bill Berhow's Mike by making it black and white.

Posted Image
Bill Berhow and Pete in the shedding ring, from a different angle today. I like the one ewe looking at Pete with a dubious expression.

Posted Image
Amanda Milliken and Bart turning the post. They finished up with a 90, putting them into second place for the day.

As you can see, Bev Lambert and Pippa had a near-perfect run, but I have no photos of it because I was just watching and enjoying it.

Time for bed.
My homepage
My photos on Flickr

#9 Little Bo Boop

Little Bo Boop

• Registered Users
  • 1,588 posts

Posted 02 September 2007 - 10:29 AM

Wow! thanks so much for posting the pics. Very nice! hey can you get some pics of our Texans :rolleyes: looks like they're doing pretty good so far. Maybe get a pic of Red Oliver's Luke, or Alison's Jim would be good too!
Posted Image

#10 PSmitty

PSmitty

• Registered Users
  • 9,202 posts

Posted 02 September 2007 - 10:33 AM

These are all great. Thanks, Melanie.

Paula
Lilly, Jack, Alex , Will & Slider

#11 ShoresDog

ShoresDog

• Registered Users
  • 3,970 posts

Posted 02 September 2007 - 08:36 PM

Wow! thanks so much for posting the pics. Very nice! hey can you get some pics of our Texans :D looks like they're doing pretty good so far. Maybe get a pic of Red Oliver's Luke, or Alison's Jim would be good too!

I can't promise pictures of Melanie's high quality, but I did take a few pictures of Red Oliver running Luke, and I got a wonderful close-up picture of Red and Blaze. What a lovely gentleman Mr. Oliver is! I will post as soon as I return to San Diego, and I'll look for Alison.

Today saw some awesome runs. It is a testament to my commitment to motherhood that today I left before Bev Lambert ran Pippa late in the afternoon in order to meet up with my daughter. I say this only slightly tongue in cheek, because I love Pippa! :rolleyes: Bev and Pippa scored a 96 which is a course record. I don't have a super camera, so my pictures from a distance are pretty crummy. But I will be posting some cute close-ups from Friday in which Bev gives Pippa her post-run ice cream cone!

Jan & Daisy & Juno & Star
LJ Shores, San Diego CA

SHORESLIFEPHOTO

#12 Little Bo Boop

Little Bo Boop

• Registered Users
  • 1,588 posts

Posted 02 September 2007 - 08:52 PM

I can't promise pictures of Melanie's high quality, but I did take a few pictures of Red Oliver running Luke, and I got a wonderful close-up picture of Red and Blaze. What a lovely gentleman Mr. Oliver is! I will post as soon as I return to San Diego, and I'll look for Alison.

Today saw some awesome runs. It is a testament to my commitment to motherhood that today I left before Bev Lambert ran Pippa late in the afternoon in order to meet up with my daughter. I say this only slightly tongue in cheek, because I love Pippa! :rolleyes: Bev and Pippa scored a 96 which is a course record. I don't have a super camera, so my pictures from a distance are pretty crummy. But I will be posting some cute close-ups from Friday in which Bev gives Pippa her post-run ice cream cone!

Oh fantastic! Yes Red is a very nice man :-) I love Luke, he is so calm, cool and collected, what a cool dog he is ;-). And Alison is very nice as well (H is ok too LOL) I'll be looking for the pics. I'm looking forward to the Pippa and the ice cream cone as well :D
Posted Image

#13 Allie Oop

Allie Oop

• Registered Users
  • 3,391 posts

Posted 03 September 2007 - 11:24 PM

Melanie, terrific pictures (as always)! It was wonderful meeting you in person (she is even more beautiful than her pictures). I can hardly wait to see the rest of the pictures you've taken!

I am also looking forward to Shoresdog's pictures of Bev Lambert's, Pippa, eating the ice cream cone! (I got a sneak preview and Shoresdog took some wonderful pictures, too!) I was fortunate enough to spend the day yesterday viewing the competitors and their gorgeous dogs with Jan (Shoresdog) and getting to meet Melanie while she and her co-worker were working in their booth collecting DNA samples from competitors dogs. I also got to watch Anna (AKA Stockdogranch), Riddle & Tickle setting the sheep up on the hill (was that Charlie up there with you on Sunday, Anna?)

Sunday was a great day on the course and and there were a lot of high scores, although it was incredibly hot. The clouds moved in and, unfortunately, it didn't rain over the course, but at least it shaded the sun a bit. My own spouse did not get to come to the event because he insisted on going camping this weekend -- which meant he had to dog sit, while my son, 84 yr. old MIL and I went to the show. I missed seeing Bev Lambert and Pippa set the course record, however, because my son insisted he had heat stroke and my MIL was getting pretty tired, but I am looking forward to both Jan's and Melanie's photos.

I didn't take many pics this year because we ended up sitting at the end of the course where the exhaust pen is (however, it is covered by a canopy). However, here are a couple to tide you over until Jan and Melanie post their wonderful pictures.

Here are a couple of Patrick Shannahan and Riggs doing their run.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Partial crowd shot. Clouds moving in, but no rain at Soldier Hollow. (My hubby said it rained like crazy at the campground we were at).

Posted Image
Deb, Allie & Rusty

Walkies (aka "Taking a Constitutional")
A Blog

2011 Western Border Collie Rescue Calendars - Available Now!

Posted Image

Help Border Collies in Need - Order Yours Now!

#14 SoloRiver

SoloRiver

Canis sapiens

• Registered Users
  • 4,701 posts

Posted 04 September 2007 - 12:50 AM

I'm pretty well fried from this weekend. The trial was great, we got a lot of sampling done, and I really enjoyed meeting all the new folks, handlers and non-handlers alike.

Here are some photos from day three.

Posted Image
Red Oliver and Luke at the pen.

Posted Image
Ginger Zuppan and Brie at the pen. The bright sky threw off my meter. I need to figure out how to fix this.

Posted Image
No, I did not sneak a photo of Solo in there. This is Karen Weissinger's Trix, AKA Solo's female doppleganger.

Posted Image
Karen Weissinger and Trix in the shedding ring.

Posted Image
Yet another mediocre black and white panning shot, this time of Bev Lambert's Pippa.

Posted Image
More Pippa, in color.

Photos from the last day in the next post.
My homepage
My photos on Flickr

#15 SoloRiver

SoloRiver

Canis sapiens

• Registered Users
  • 4,701 posts

Posted 04 September 2007 - 12:58 AM

Photos from the championship double lift round today. I was kind of erratic about my picture taking today. I mostly wanted to watch, and it was really stinking hot.

Posted Image
Faansie Basson and Jan, all the way from South Africa, were the first team of the day. Here, they wait for their first set of sheep.

Posted Image
Faansie Basson and Jan set up the international shed, which went very well indeed.

Posted Image
Jan walks her five collared sheep away from the others. These five were removed in one swell foop. It looked like an idealized computer simulation of an international shed.

Posted Image
Red Oliver's Blaze holds his sheep in the shedding ring.

I sorta stopped taking pictures in the middle of the day; there were too many spectators to dodge and it was so damn hot I just couldn't bother.

Posted Image
The top three finishers of the day during the medal ceremony.

First place: Bill Berhow and Pete (I have good taste in dogs, eh?)
Second place: Bev Lambert and Bill (edited as I originally said Pippa but hey, I was pretty tired)
Third Place: Amanda Milliken and Ethel
My homepage
My photos on Flickr

#16 Little Bo Boop

Little Bo Boop

• Registered Users
  • 1,588 posts

Posted 04 September 2007 - 06:00 AM

Great pics Melanie, really nice. Thanks for the pics of Luke and Blaze ;-) So is that kind of heat unusual for this time of year? It sounds like it was brutal hot.
Posted Image

#17 sandra s.

sandra s.

• Registered Users
  • 3,559 posts
  • Interests:rock music (mostly Oasis and all their heroes and influences), nature (esp. geology), rockhounding, hiking, daydreaming, taking photos (still learning!), any activity that Kessie enjoys (with some exceptions, like rolling in you-know-what!).

Posted 04 September 2007 - 07:48 AM

As usual, I'm jealous and bummed about the lack of sheepdog culture around here, but photos are far better than nothing! Thanks for sharing!

#18 Anda

Anda

One of a kind! :)

• Registered Users
  • 5,529 posts

Posted 04 September 2007 - 09:06 AM

Great pictures, Melanie and Deb! Sounds like the perfect place to be (with lots and lots of +60 UV/UVA sun block!).

Blue's one striking dog!!! Love the pictures of Trix, the She-Solo :rolleyes:

#19 PSmitty

PSmitty

• Registered Users
  • 9,202 posts

Posted 04 September 2007 - 09:11 AM

More excellent pics, Melanie! Thanks so much. And thank you, too, Deb. I'm glad you all enjoyed yourself.

"Swell foop"- :rolleyes:

Paula
Lilly, Jack, Alex , Will & Slider

#20 ShoresDog

ShoresDog

• Registered Users
  • 3,970 posts

Posted 04 September 2007 - 10:21 AM

Well, here we are back in San Diego. There was a nice story in today's Salt Lake Tribune. Be sure to click on the multimedia presentation which features Bill Berhow and Pete's run in the finals:

Salt Lake Tribune 9-4-07

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Copyright: All posts and images on this site are protected by copyright, and may not be reproduced or distributed in any way without permission. Banner photo courtesy of Denise Wall, 2009 CDWall. For further information, contact info@bordercollie.org.