BC Boards

So Many Border Collies!

Guest WoobiesMom

Guest WoobiesMom
:rolleyes: I was watching Animal Planet's new show It's the Me or the Dog the other night with the british gal. One of the things she does is take the owners to a shelter to show what can happen to the dog if they don't make appropriate changes to its behavior. The shelter she took this particular owner to had an unsually high number of Border Collies, really beautiful, purebred looking BCs. It was so sad to know these smart sensitive dogs ended up in a shelter because of the bad fortune of ending up in a home where the owner either didn't know how to handle them or wasn't interested in putting in the time necessary to get a fantastic dog as part of their family!

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I saw that episode last nite...funny thing is I looked at my DH and said "Did you see how many Border Collies were in that shelter?" It was heartwrenching the looks on their faces.

As sad as it was to see so many dogs in that shelter, one good thing came of it...that lady realized just how important it is to get control over her dogs behavior. Hopefully she will stick to it for the long run. :rolleyes:

I watched that show last night as well, and I also noticed all the BCs, but thought that maybe in UK the prevalence of Border Collies and BC mixes is much higher than in US, therefore the large number of dogs in the shelter....

P.S. That woman was totaly insane, keeping all those dogs inside the house, not walking them for the past 2 years, then shoving sugar and cafeine in them (for those who missed it, she was giving their dogs HOT TEA with MILK AND BISCUITS, every day, at "tea-time" and treating them with icecream - one icecream cone per dog !!! )

That's why you have to spay or neuter your pets. Everyone wants a border collie because they see them on TV doing all these things. Agility, obedience, herding, dog dancing, tricks, but they don't realize how much time and patience it takes to put into them. They think you just buy a dog and it's smart. When I bred my dogs.....BOY OH BOY.....was I picky- Had homes picked out before I bred. Tested before I bred. I actually tried to talk them out of getting a border collie. "If you want a dog that lays by the fireplace, you've got the wrong breed"............"If they don't have a job, they will find one and the one they pick- you won't like". Now, all of mine didn't go to herding homes. A lot did. I had 6 litters in 15 years so I'm not over breeding. Most went to herding homes, some to obedience homes, agility, some to people that biked a lot and wanted someone to run with them daily. Some went on to become just farm dogs, a couple as pets. I usually keep in touch with most of my pups owners, even though most are gone now. We still talk and exchange dog jokes and pictures. I sold a Mick/China pup to a lady then she wanted another later on. The first one got an OTCH title- very hard to receive. She sent me an 8X10 photo. When she showed in CA. My mother went and taped it. Devoted? I guess I could say "yes, I am" Will I breed again- doubtful. Backyard breeders are very bad on border collies. We need only the best. Ability, temperament, and who cares about looks. Just my opinion- I've been the owner of several very ugly dogs that looked beautiful in my eyes when they were doing what they were meant to do.

I missed that one. I was going to watch it but I forgot it was on. Is it very good?

It's sad but very true. Far to many great BC's get put down because their owners didn't know what BC's needed. It makes me really mad, but sad at the same time. That's why I adopted my Black Jack (along with other reasons) I couldn't stand seeing him in there day after day so sad and lonely. It breaks my heart to see all those dogs with out a home. I wish people would get a little bit smarter and think before they get that "cute little BC pup". Or at least devote the time if they do get one. Ok, rant over. lol. But it is very sad.

I am in the UK and I hate to say that many, many dogs in rescue over here are BC or BC crossbreeds :rolleyes: We have too many farmers over here breeding a litter to keep one and then selling the other pups cheaply to ignorant owners who have absolutely no idea just how much stimulation and exercise a collie needs. There are also the puppy farm operations that churn out badly bred litter after litter and sell them again to people who haven't the first clue about raising and training a border collie.

It is depressing - and incredibly sad.

Perhaps even worse though is the situation in Ireland. There are a number of BC breed rescues in the UK that also rescue collies from Ireland and bring them over here to rehome. Collies in Ireland are very much still seen as a tool of the trade, and worthless if they don't work, or become old, ill or infirm :D

:rolleyes: Hi we are from the Uk and regularly visit our local rehoming centre to spend some time with the dogs that are there and it is so sad to see the dogs that are about 1yr old as you know that they were brought as a cute little puppy and then to hard work to look after through the puppy/adolescence bit. People then must just get bored with them. It does break your heart in there sometimes especially when the poor pups are so young still and already have issues on being with other dogs/children etc.

We do get a few Border Collies its true but other breeds are used in the same way and brought as pups then discarded when they dont turn out the way the owner wants when that owner has put no time into them to train and show them what they are surposed to be behaving like.

I am having a rant now as it annoys me so much...

Anyway the dog show with Victoria Stilwell is great i love to watch it plus it hopefully makes owners realise that most problems that seem terrible can be sorted out with the right technique.

Most of her shows are not with bad owners though just people who have let there dogs get out of control and im glad in those cases they have actually sort help and kept them. I have not seen the one that was mentioned on here - that home doesnt sound good though!

Yes i have heard of the charity that brings them over from Ireland for re-homing the site shows the dogs and pups on it and they are lovely with good temperaments mostly so its such a shame.

hee hee finished now having a rant..

Hollys Mum :D

I agree with you, Im from the UK too and like myself I got s border collie from a working farm and they kept one back to work and sold the rest.....not sure all of you know my story still but we went in knee high without looking into BC's! So we was one of them that was sold a dog without them caring to who and why etc...

Luckily though for Scampi I am such a caring person that I read into everything I could to bring him up as best I could, even now I still always read about BC's to get any new ideas, and we are training every day, playing games, starting agility now and I will try to give him the best possible life I can for a non working lifestyle :D

Also it is much worse in Ireland sadly.

Before Getting Scampi I was told by friends of the animals charity I could choose ANY breed I wanted and they can ship it over from Ireland :rolleyes: Awwwww

:D Aww thats really sad :rolleyes:

With Holly we had a great breeder who questioned us a lot before allowing us to have one of her Collies. She wanted to no a lot about us before she let us have one. I think that is great and it is a shame more BC breeders dont do the same. We had to travel a few miles to get Holly as we prefered to go with a breeder who cared so much for her dogs. We are still in touch with her now and we send regular photos and updates of Holly.

Before Holly we owned a Yorkshire Terrier who had Diabetes for 6years of her life. It was hard work to keep her healthy and so when we decided to get another dog we wanted to be really careful about health issues in parents.

Of course this does not mean Holly wont have any issues in her life its just we fealt so bad for our little Tammy having the diabetes and we should have looked into her breed more before we had her. (never ever regreted getting her though!!)

Anyway when we did decide to get another pup we did look at local breeders first and was horrified that a local breeder whom we rang to enquire about a female puppy would have let us go and pick that puppy up that very day with no questions about our suitability or wether we could give her a good home (I dont think that anyone should have the right to own a dog if they carn't give it what it needs). To make it worse it was actually Christmas Eve!!!.

Good for Scampi now though as he's got a good home!! I have never owned a BC before and i looked into the breed before getting her but to be honest it was still a shock when we did get her as they are HARD WORK!!

I too read about things all the time reqguarding BCs and things to give them a great life as Holly is not a working dog either so i like to make sure she does loads to compensate it.

I do think though that BCs are great and hopefully we will be getting another one soon as we adore Holly.

:D

:rolleyes: Yes she was an accredited breeder and very good and in actual fact we have asked her to inform us if she breeds again as we would prefer another one from her.

Her dogs were all house dogs and although she had a few they all were in the home and really nice and well behaved. I wish all breeders took as much care and thought into breeding from their dogs. You got the impression that hers were breed for the love of her dogs rather than profit which you get with the puppy farm type of breeding which i think is awful.

Holly's breeder sounds great and very responsible - although, to be honest, a KC bred dog would probably be of little use to anyone wanting to work their dog. I believe people wanting a companion would be better looking at KC breeders as opposed to pups from ISDS lines or farms, as these dogs usually need to work. Too many people buy pups from the local farm for £50 and then wonder why their poor dog goes loopy when they don't give it anything to do :rolleyes:

My own dogs come from Thomas Longton - who is a renowned trainer and handler of sheepdogs. He is the English President of the ISDS and he tries to place most, if not all, his dogs in homes where they will be worked.

I agree with you and sometimes i feal that maybe i shouldnt own a BC as she isnt worked but she has a fantastic life i think and even though she was from a KC breeder she still has to have loads to do even if its just find and fetch the hidden toy, she loves that game.

I include training (basic obedience & tricks), excercise (walks and off lead runs) and play daily and have started simple agility as i do not want to do too much jumping and stuff until she is a bit older. Again trying to do everything right with her.

Maybe when she is older might give flyball a go i think it looks fun with the agility also.

So hopefully i am giving her enough to do.

:rolleyes: Just had a look at your site page and love those photos of your dogs with the sheep!! they were great. Looks rather like my Holly too. I am going to puts some of her on here.

I agree with you and sometimes i feal that maybe i shouldnt own a BC as she isnt worked but she has a fantastic life i think and even though she was from a KC breeder she still has to have loads to do even if its just find and fetch the hidden toy, she loves that game.

I include training (basic obedience & tricks), excercise (walks and off lead runs) and play daily and have started simple agility as i do not want to do too much jumping and stuff until she is a bit older. Again trying to do everything right with her.

Maybe when she is older might give flyball a go i think it looks fun with the agility also.

So hopefully i am giving her enough to do.

:rolleyes: Just had a look at your site page and love those photos of your dogs with the sheep!! they were great. Looks rather like my Holly too. I am going to puts some of her on here.

I wouldn't say you shouldn't own a collie because she isn't worked - you are obviously giving her loads of other things to occupy her mind and body ... that is what is important :D

Would love to see some pics.

Apparently almost 50% of dogs in UK rescue centres are BC's. This is a disgusting figure! :rolleyes: I live in the UK myself and have visited rescue centres in the past, it is heartbreaking to watch the poor things in there!

We did TONNES of research before we got our little Ed. My fiance had previously owned a BC and BC cross so knew what to expect. We bought Ed from a KC breeder who questioned us to ensure we were responsible enough and knew what we were getting into. They also provided us with information into their breed/litter history. We then met Ed's mum and gorgeous siblings. It is vital that people know what to expect before getting any pets as it is the animal that suffers from there irresponsible actions!! Rant...rant...rant!!

Anyway, enough ranting It's time for Ed's walk. :D

I agree 100% with you all.

I brought up two pups at the same time and love the challenge of wearing them out everyday and the challenge of stimulating their minds, and teaching them new tricks.

My husband and I are both disabled so we are both at home ALOT, and have alot of time for our dogs, but 5 yrs ago when I worked 14 hr days and was never home, I would have been a VERY bad fit for this breed.

A.J.

The other show is also good but I like Victoria's show (It's Me or the Dog) better.

I agree with her viewpoints and like her way of teaching and getting her point, across to people.

I think Sandra's Kyla came from a rescue in Irland, didn't she? (I might be delirious without having my morning coffee :rolleyes: )

Can't possibly comment on the delirium (they say dogs become like their owners, don't they? :D ), but the part about Kyla is true. She comes from these people: Uisneach Border Collie Rescue

She was saved from euthanasia in an Irish pound. Our little piranha had been thrown in the garbage (not literally, but it's still bad enough) :D Well, someone missed out!

DSCF2131kl.jpg

They also rescue a lot of lurchers...they must have a similar situation in Ireland as border collies do.

Maybe this is opening up a can of worms, but, if there are so many BCs in rescue in the UK, why isn't that the avenue that pet owners who do their research are going when getting a BC?

Your guess is as good as mine! :D I work my dogs and therefore choose to buy pups (or started dogs) from good working lines. I think the main problem is that too many collies are bred and there aren't enough experienced homes to go round :rolleyes:

I did try to get a rescue dog from a local shelter and also the RSPCA and Friends of the animals but because we have children under 14 we was not allowed any of the breeds just incase they had problems with children in their previous home that the shelter couldnt possibly know about

So i think youll find thats why people end up getting pups because a high percentage of families have children and want a dog too but are not able to get a rescue dog.