• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 INU

INU

BCRocks

• Registered Users
  • 1,999 posts

Posted 08 April 2007 - 06:01 PM

I was checking the toxic plants for dogs since we are renovating the garden. On ASPCA websitethere is a list of toxic plants to dogs and lists avocado as one of them. I've seen lists of toxic veggies/plants and flowers in the past but this is the first time I am learning avocados can be so bad for animals. I eat one avocado a day (I am addicted to them) and sometimes I give a slice to my dogs and they love it. I hope it didn't cause any damage to my dogs... I am worried. I was planning on getting an avocado tree in the backyard and I am glad I read this before getting one.

from Wikipedia:

Toxicity to Animals
Feeding avocados to any non-human animal should be avoided completely. There is documented evidence that animals such as cattle, horses, goats, rabbits, birds, dogs, cats, and even fish[5][6] can be severely harmed or even killed when they consume the leaves, bark, or fruit. Avocados contain a toxic fatty acid derivative known as persin.[7] Many animal organizations recommend total avoidance of all parts of the plant. The symptoms include gastrointestinal irritation, vomiting, diarrhea, respiratory distress, congestion, fluid accumulation around the tissues of the heart and even death. Birds seem to be particularly sensitive to this toxic compound.

Negative effects in humans seem to be primarily in allergic individuals.

#2 ClickMeBC

ClickMeBC

• Registered Users
  • 248 posts
  • Interests:Dogs, Border Collies, Agility, Herding, Disc Dog, Dog training, dog psychology, dog behavior...anything &quot;Dog&quot;!<br /><br />Horses, Arabians, Riding (Hunter/Jumper, 3-day eventing), horse psychology and behavior...pretty much anything &quot;horse&quot; as well. :)<br /> <br />Writing, Art, Painting(acryllic, oil, trying out pastel and watercolor), sketching, charcoal<br /><br />Skiing, Martial Arts, hiking, biking, running, swimming, being outside in general<br /><br />Computers, Photography(animals and nature), digital photography, digital video editing/movie making

Posted 08 April 2007 - 06:19 PM

This surprises me. I had no idea they were so toxic and could so severely effect so many different animals. I, too, am very glad you discovered this and I appreciate that you posted it here! I've never heard this before.... :rolleyes:
Sophie and the trio:
Sierra Mist
Hallie

And Quynn the Border Collie

Posted Image

Life's a Ball....Chase It.
Rest in peace, Sparky

"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and screaming "WOO HOO, What a Ride!"

Shoot for the moon...even if you miss, you'll land among the stars.

#3 Anda

Anda

One of a kind! :)

• Registered Users
  • 5,529 posts

Posted 08 April 2007 - 06:45 PM

I read this not too long ago on the ASPCA website, and it surprised me, too. Fortunatly, avocado is not a fruit I am very fond of.

#4 Zoe

Zoe

• Registered Users
  • 1,176 posts

Posted 08 April 2007 - 07:49 PM

Oh, I didn't know that - thanks for posting. I like avacado although not as much as to eat one a day ! Haven't given any to Dylan so far, and now I won't. I am sure Jazzy and Cooper are ok.

#5 Tassie

Tassie

• Registered Users
  • 3,042 posts

Posted 08 April 2007 - 09:05 PM

I had read avocado on lists of 'dangerous' foods - but the problem with those sort of lists is that there's not a clear indication of how much is a problem, and whether the problem is immediate, or cumulative.

Like you, I tend to give my two a small slice of avocado whenever I'm slicing one - but that isn't every day. (Not with the price of avocadoes here - they tend to be at the luxury end of the fruit/vegetable market.) :rolleyes: So far, no problems - and that's over a couple of years or so.
Barb

#6 Guest_pax_*

Guest_pax_*
  • Unregistered / Not Logged In

Posted 08 April 2007 - 09:30 PM

Wow, I had no idea.

Thanks!

#7 smileyzookie

smileyzookie

Life has many choices. Eternity has two. What's yours?

• Registered Users
  • 3,476 posts

Posted 08 April 2007 - 09:47 PM

Fortunately I read this some time back, although I cant remember where. Hubby and I go through phases where our side dish every night is a sliced up avacado with salt and lime... mmmmmmmmmmmm
Donna & Riven Posted Image
Posted Image

Riven - http://www.dogster.c...gs/271754/sniff http://dogphoria.com...mber=Rivendell1
Rohan - http://www.catster.c...ts/271760/sniff
Arwen- http://www.catster.com/cats/648081
My dog is not a child substitute. At least thats what his piano teacher says. - Rita Rudner

#8 Black Watch Debatable

Black Watch Debatable

Mixed Breed

• Registered Users
  • 919 posts

Posted 08 April 2007 - 09:54 PM

I've seen first hand what a steady diet of avocados, week after week, can do to a dog: they make him really, really fat. And they make his coat really shiny.

Hass [rhymes with class] avocados --- shoot, all avocados --- are the most delicious food on. the. planet.

I grew up with avocado trees in the back yard. Dad loved them --- he'd string the trees with big, fat light bulbs in the winter to protect them from freezing. The dogs loved them, too. When the fruit was ripe, the yard was an obstacle course of avocado pits.

Too many at one sitting can give a dog a mild case of green runs :D

My dogs all learned to pick them off the tree. [They'll pick figs off the tree, too.]

The glorious California avocado.

Barb, are your avocados grown locally? When I was living in London years ago, all the avocados there were imported from Kenya. Mmmmm... avocados... In the markets in Mexico you can find ones as big as soup bowls...

Story: I was in the kitchen getting food ready for a party, and the first person to arrive saw me chopping some avocados into a bowl, adding some salt, pepper, etc. She said, "What are you making?" Me: "Guacamole." She was from back east. She stared at me: "You make that with avocados? Whoa --- I thought you made it with sour cream and a mix."

Another story: a friend of mine from Maine married a guy from California, and the first time they brought an avocado home from the market, he told her the pit is the part you eat after you toss out all the green stuff. He's a chucklehead :rolleyes: She spent a fair amount of time trying to chop the slippery pit into bite-size pieces. They're still married!

Edited because Barb is not Tassie.

Luisa
Jasper, Smoky, Lulu & Grayling
"tan cerca que se cierran tus ojos con mi sueño."
Pablo Neruda, Cien sonetos al pit bull.
Blog: Lassie, Get Help.

#9 Tassie

Tassie

• Registered Users
  • 3,042 posts

Posted 08 April 2007 - 11:48 PM

Yep - Tassie = Barb - :rolleyes: Australians like to shorten everything to something ending in "ie" - so Tasmania - the island state at the bottom of Australia, is often referred to as Tassie. And I'm Barb :D

Luisa, Tasmania's climate is cool temperate, so a bit cool to grow avocadoes comercially. The ones we get here come from Northern New South Wales or Queensland - way further up the eastern coast of Australia, and sub-tropical in climate. We also get some from the North Island of New Zealand. The ones we see here are usually Hass, then followed by Shepherd (the smooth green skinned - a bit more pear shaped.) Back in the summer there were some seriously large ones around in a few places - not sure of the variety or where they came from - but delicious. Maybe like the ones you could get in Mexico.
Barb

#10 sharkie

sharkie

nuttier than squirrel poo

• Registered Users
  • 460 posts

Posted 09 April 2007 - 09:19 PM

I had read avocado on lists of 'dangerous' foods - but the problem with those sort of lists is that there's not a clear indication of how much is a problem, and whether the problem is immediate, or cumulative.

Like you, I tend to give my two a small slice of avocado whenever I'm slicing one - but that isn't every day. (Not with the price of avocadoes here - they tend to be at the luxury end of the fruit/vegetable market.) :D So far, no problems - and that's over a couple of years or so.

if its not immediate its definitely cumulative....avocados are like bacons. I remember this as one of the few fruits that didn't make the healthy "fruit list" . But they're reeeeally reeeaaally yum :rolleyes:
i think my dogs are from space

#11 MaggieDog

MaggieDog

• Registered Users
  • 2,639 posts
  • Interests:dogs (behavior, training, you name it), hiking/the outdoors, reading, rollerblading

Posted 09 April 2007 - 10:33 PM

Ummm I feed Avoderm, a dog food made w/ some avocado fruit in it...I know the pits are poisonous as are leaves, but the fruit?!
Erin
Ziva: 4 yo Corgi mix, agility dog!
Kestrel: 2 yo Cattle Dog (mix?), schutzhund and agility dog in training
Aerten: Malinois puppy, schutzhund dog in training

Maggie Mae, always in our hearts <3

Posted Image

"To me, every hour of the light and dark is a miracle. Every cubic inch of space is a miracle." - Walt Whitman

#12 Black Watch Debatable

Black Watch Debatable

Mixed Breed

• Registered Users
  • 919 posts

Posted 09 April 2007 - 11:39 PM

Avoderm web site.

Luisa
Jasper, Smoky, Lulu & Grayling
"tan cerca que se cierran tus ojos con mi sueño."
Pablo Neruda, Cien sonetos al pit bull.
Blog: Lassie, Get Help.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Copyright: All posts and images on this site are protected by copyright, and may not be reproduced or distributed in any way without permission. Banner photo courtesy of Denise Wall, 2009 CDWall. For further information, contact info@bordercollie.org.