Warning: Be Careful What Your Dogs Eat!
Posted 05 April 2006 - 04:17 AM
I walk Shadow regularly in my suburban neighborhood, and she made friends with a young English Setter and his owners. Recently, I was walking by the house and the woman was outside, gardening. I mentioned that we had not seen Skeeter recently. She told me that Skeeter was in the house recovering. It seems that Skeeter ate a rock that lodged in his intestines and resulted in a severe blockage and infection. By the time they were through with the surgery and subsequent costs, they has spent some $3,000 on veterinary bills. (Skeeter will be okay, according the vet, after his recovery period.)
Puppies seem to explore the world through their sense of taste. This incident is an object lesson with respect to ensuring that you keep an eye on them at all times, even if they are in their own backyard (as Skeeter was).
Posted 05 April 2006 - 06:34 AM
Posted 05 April 2006 - 07:20 AM
Posted 05 April 2006 - 07:28 AM
Posted 05 April 2006 - 08:19 AM
I'm no longer complacent, even with my most trusted dogs.
"For the Love of Pete"
"Lord willing, and the creek don't rise"
Our Dogs Past & Present:
Posted 05 April 2006 - 03:59 PM
He was so sick by the middle of the night that he pushed out the screen in the window to get outside.
I took him to the vet, which he HATES and tries to eat, but his belly must have hurt so much that he just laid down and let her give him a shot.
He hasn't tried to eat another frog.
Posted 06 April 2006 - 07:07 AM
My brother's standard poodle, as a puppy, ate one of the kids' toys with velcro on it - which velcro'd itself to the inside of his intestine. :eek: He was fine though after a couple thousand dollars' worth of surgery.
First Light Farm
Duford, South Carolina
Posted 06 April 2006 - 07:45 AM
WOW! Our dogs eat acorns like crazy every fall. We have oak trees all around our house (post oak, red oak, and white oak). Bukka started eating acorns the first fall after we moved into this house. Since then he has taught Willow and Wren to eat them. When the acorns are dropping the dogs run into the back yard put there noses to the ground and start rooting around for acorns. They look like wild hogs. They dont eat the shell. They crack them open and eat the nut. I even atea couple because they seemed to like them so much (I writer i know of has written about making tea out of acorns). Too bitter. Too many tannins.
Originally posted by FlashMom:
And more "food" for thought. I read on the internet that acorns are poisonous to dogs, and absolutely believe that to be true.
Posted 06 April 2006 - 08:42 AM
Posted 06 April 2006 - 08:52 AM
Posted 06 April 2006 - 09:39 AM
Plus, a few months ago, she chewed through our water cooler plug, which was on and plugged into the wall. She got half way, and never touched it again, or any other wire. I belive she got a bit of a shock.
0 user(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users