BC Boards

Border Collie x Blue Heeler???

The ears are a bit big. I don't know what kind of hound would give you that dark coloring and not give you ears more like a coonhound. But they might also be seeing something in how it moves or something else, IDK

Here in Oklahoma, there is a trend by some Ranchers to cross Red or Blue Heelers with BC's. They say the crosses tolerate the heat better when working cattle in the summer heat. The Heeler part gives better heat tolerance, while the BC part gives more herding ability. My understanding is this started in South Texas and those BC/Heeler crosses are called Texas Heelers.

Does this look like a Border Collie/Blue Heeler mix to you??? He's 5 1/2 mos. old, 33lbs.attachicon.gifIMG_1152.JPG

They do look a bit more like Catahoula Leopard Dog cross bred pups to me. Catahoulas are rather hound like in appearance.

That's exactly what I was thinking... the eyes, muzzle, and ears all say Catahoula to me

Actually, most of the Catahoulas are black and tan, but they also tend to be MM or Mm. It may be that one parent was a mixed breed. It's common to cross various breeds for working cattle. Also, a lot of the "blue heelers" you see on working farms are mixes and not purebred in the AKC sense of the word. It's possible these pups are mixes of mixed breed dogs.

They are genetically often black and tan, but are also frequently merle or double merle. The merle gene modifies the base colors, making them appear what you are calling harlequin and spotted. There ARE solid colored dogs in the breed, but breeders don't seem to like them so they aren't as common.

I've noticed that for whatever reason a lot of people mix up blue heeler and catahoula mixes, maybe because catahoulas aren't as well known as heelers. If the mom is said to be a heeler mix it could be she's actually a catahoula mix. And also, are you certain the dad is a tri color BC? If this is the result of an accidental breeding it could be there is more than one father to the litter.

Regardless of what breed they are they are adorable puppies, I'm very jealous, I can't wait to get my puppy.