BC Boards

Video files request for a presentation

Maja

Dear Handlers,

As I wrote in a different section, I agreed to give a presentation on sheep herding at a cultural conference at my college. What I would like to ask you is whether I could get some files from you with sheep herding for me to include fragments of them, with credits, in my presentation.

I need actual files, not links, since I can't count on having an Internet connection at the conference and I want to splice the videos.

What I am interested in includes but is not limited to the following:

1. Young dogs learning or who just learned something specific

2. Different elements of a trial

3. A good trial run

4. Plain ordinary tough farm work

5. Visible set out team on horses

6. Anything else I have not thought of yet, but will say "great!' when I see it.

My email address is majawn at yahoo dot com

The conference is in December.

Maja

Maja, yes, there is a very nice little program. I am truly hoping the expert handlers will respond to your thread. And lol, Maja, please do your own YouTube Viddy (as the Brits would say ;) ) of your conference. I would so love to see your presentation. Or better yet, Vimeo!!!!!! The best clarity is with Vimeo without the extra costs that HD resolution has on YouTube. Agility folks in Europe looooove Vimeo the best! It aces! :wub: :wub:

Maja, lol, it's wonderful that us "ballet" folks can chit-chat too! haha, I didn't have the chance to write on your comment about going to ballet school. At the time I had this nightmare freelance deadline going. Had to prepare a client's brand new logo, specialty gift bags, newsletter e-Vite, brand new launching of website landing page, business cards, marketing cards, just an avalanche of stuff going on. And my brother popped on his way back from an International Medical Conference himself! on his way back to NYC and!!! my own agility trials the very same weekend, lol! :o

Serena,

I have received responses mostly through PM and email, and I have lots of very good material. Now, as soon as I come back from the trial on Sunday where Bonnie will blow her outrun probably, I am going to get down to downloading and getting the main framework figured out. So I am very grateful for all the help I received. In the mean time I am pondering how to use Bonnie in the presentation and have some sneaky ideas :D .

As for ballet, well, it's funny actually, but before the first test (the trial qualifying test) I was all in pieces thinking that I won't remember the route after the judge shows it to us. And my DH says, "But you know how, you've been trained to do it". I felt so dumb, because obviously, I somehow missed the connection. Since then I have incorporated some things. Nothing to do with what I actually do, but with the way my brain works. And believe me, with herding, I need all the brain power I can get.

Maja

Maja, you must absolutely use Vimeo....I just get so excited about getting to see all the discipline of sheepherding! Hopefully some of the links you got are actually the fancy HD quality, lol! as a 3D animator I can't stand the jaggies!!! and pixelation. But not all people know how to convert. I caught some sheepherders who did not know how to effectively prepare their video before sending it to Vimeo. In Europe there are so many "brilliant folks" and I highly suspect you are one of those "typical" Europeans, lol! Takes a bit of technological know-how so if you don't do it right, things don't effectively translate especially! since the length of a sheepherding session is far longer, more has to be done to the video. I put up 3D animations on Vimeo and they all look gorgeous and smooth....All the British dog agility folk do excellent Vimeo videos too but agility time span goes very fast,lol! so for a non-expert they can easily do Vimeo as opposed to sheepherding.

Maja, in a way, I'm much "luckier" in being able to incorporate all of my ballet training in actually working my dog....there is a total joy with running my dog. Being only 5'2" and never working out like a fiend, exercising (except for dance) or jogging like other American women, what I do is use all the ballet leaps and long legwork to cover the distance so that I can actually keep up with my border collie. I get to use tons of movement and even throw in the good 'ole jeté command, lol! We have a very lovely running style that is also unique....And like you, I have to use my spatial distance to remember my courses better. However, unlike you I have a learning disability which can severely impair me, so the ballet truly serves me well. :D

• 2 weeks later...

Serena,

I am sorry I have not replied earlier, but I was away at a trial and then I had a ton of things to do (like e.g asking dumb questions on this board ;)).

Well, the "brilliant" Europeans found it fit to regulate the length of cucumbers, curvature of bananas, the length of perch per hen in a coop, and gazillions of other equally brilliant regulations.

Thank you for all your suggestions. Now, I am at the stage of "whatever possessed me to volunteer for this!" and the coming week I will start getting the videos and then assembling the presentations. And with Bonnie's recent win in the Czech Republic (never mind the outrun, they won't know any better ;) ) we will be celebrities :lol: :lol: :lol:).

Maja

Haha, I think it's more of European ultra-tidy obsessive-compulsive, perfectionistic streak perhaps, not so much an intelligence issue bwahaha! :lol:

And oh, a big huge congratulations on your win at the Czech Republic! I can see how talented and absolutely adorable Bonnie is. I took a few sneak peeks in some other threads. Usually I try to lurk a few times at the sheepherding section, but I tend to tread on toes, and I will indeed tread on some more toes when I next post (I'm actually having a B.C. Board friend look over the contents to make sure if it's ok to post-if she warns don't post that! :o I won't...) I was also busy cheering my friend Bernadette in the UK-- she did get a bronze in the FCI World Championship for the Small Individual Medal, and it was thrilling to see her dreams come true....In Europe they always get fancy in dog agility, big huge rosettes and trophies, but in the U.S. no trophies. Only a far more plain rosette ribbon or an ugly MACH pole made of plastic and craft ribbon wrapped all around it :rolleyes: Us artists cringe at that! We did have a lively discussion at my favorite forum, Agility Addicts, in England about rosettes. I do like the U.S. system in that all rosettes are exactly the same colors for 1st-3rd prize, and I am a hard-driven person in that I think ribbons should only go up to 4th place at the very most but I can perfectly understand that dog agility is so flooded in the UK that it's pretty darn tough to get 1st-3rd place... Nevertheless, I'm obsessive-compulsive in that I want absolute consistency. In the UK for dog agility there are so many differing colors that it makes my head spin!

Well, let me know when you get done assembling the presentations! I can't wait to see and learn from them :D

As for me, I'm ultra busy training my Eluane. Every time we get 1st place it's always a Lord-Blessed miracle for us, especially with my learning disability! The forum I belong to really love little Eluane and they know about all our struggles, how few times we get to trial, the whole works, and how many odds are stacked against us. Many absolutely wonderful people there who've helped us grow and stretch beyond!!! So it's been an incredible place for support!

Anyway, have a wonderful week and am looking forward to seeing Bonnie's latest and greatest! :D

Dear Everbody,

I still need videos with the setout team on horses (can be far away and just a few seconds) and also sheepdog work on the farm, things like loading, moving, working with other livestock than sheep, but sheep too.

The bottom line is the video should be somewhat good quality. I can download vimeo and youtube.

many thanks to all those who have helped already.

Maja

Julie,

This would be great. Maybe you could just dump the files in my mailbox. It is better if the files are shorter, because my computer is given to showing symptoms of cardiac arrest, and it's much easier to paste files than to cut them.

The presentation is Dec 12, and I would like to try out the equipment at the college to see if everything works on Dec 1.

I am also going to use my set of figurines to explain things.

Maja

P.S. Whatever possessed me to volunteer for this! Temporary insanity, I guess.

Here's a link to a YouTube vid taken by Maureen Robinson. Quality is excellent, as you would expect from her. It's Mirk's run at Steamboat this year. Outrun, with set out a-horseback, then pen-single finish. It's a short video.

This one was taken Sunday by my good friend, Jan Elliott, of Star. It shows a lot of work at hand, and a lot of shedding. This file will be huge. It's a 9 minute vid. If you go to the link, you will see another short vid of me demonstrating whistles. That might be of interest.

Hope these help.

Cheers all,

I have the outline and most of the presentation ready. I will show videos (fragments of trials, young pup started, herding in strange places (Northern Norway), sheep behavior without a dog) a power point presentation, and an explanation using sheep/shepherd/sheepdog figurines.

I am still wavering whether to take Bonnie or not.

Maja

• 2 weeks later...

So I did my presentation today. It was a combination of a power point presentation (basic ingredients of stock work), figurines (basic ingredients of trials), and movies (top-dog run (Becca), cattle herding (Jake), staring a dog (Pete), herding in strange places (Norway), sheep behavior without a dog (me and my sheep), farm entertainment (putting sheep in the doghouse-Bonnie). The people were very interested in it, and the comment I got was "It is all so relevant to teaching" (it was a teachers conference). I must say at little Pete with Wayne was a hit :D . I was surprised how much they remembered form my figurine presentation later when I was showing a trial.

I would like to thank again for all the help I received. The title was "Pigs can't do that" :D .

Maja

hehe, looks like Bonnie is like Eluane in prefering husbands and BFs holding them like little babies'..... They always look a bit sheepish and uncomfortable in our arms, bless them!

Maja, maybe you can duplicate your Powerpoint presentation by converting it each slide into .jpgs and then aligning it into Photobucket! :D That way we can enjoy all the cool info! I'd love to see!

The credit for the title goes to the Soldier's Hollow trial announcement. I was very happy about it because it allowed me to follow "begin with the familiar" principle. It was very enjoyable for me - the people were very animated and involved in something entirely foreign to their life style. Beats the heck out of teaching Middle English Phonology :lol: .

Maja

post-8479-001766200 1324063325_thumb.gif

Archived