BC Boards

Removing urine stain from carpet

Hi,

I pulled up this topic from past post. We have an elderly bcx that has had two accidents in the house. I cleaned the mess up asap but after drying the carpet has a yellow stain. In one post it was suggested to use Hydrogen Peroxide and dawn detergent. But they didn't say how much of each to use, anybody know the answer? Thanks or if you have any other ideas I would be thankful.

Lisa

Nature's Miracle is FANTASTIC. It removed my pup's pee stain and the odor. It is recommended not to use anything else before you use it and to use it right away, but you can certainly try it.

Also have some on hand if it happens again.

Petsmart and Petco both carry it.

A friend who cleans carpets for a living says to do this:

Blot the urine as much as possible if still wet.

Mix 1/2 amonia and 1/2 water and dab it on the stain.

Blot up mixture.

Dab on water, then blot.

This does really work well for both fresh and old stains. I also like cleaners that have enzymes in them and the Sear's brand of carpet cleaning, "Capture" which has a spray, followed by a powder, then you scrub with a brush.

Originally posted by RaisingRiver:

Nature's Miracle is FANTASTIC. It removed my pup's pee stain and the odor

I also use that.

I would be scared to raise a pup without it! :rolleyes:

Worked great for all 3 of our puppies.

Originally posted by MrSnappy:

I vote for Folex. That stuff is amazing.

Another vote for Folex! Although I have nothing against Nature's Miracle I find Folex works just as well, is usually cheaper, and available at more stores- around here, anyway.

Dixie girl- LOL!!! :rolleyes::D

Unfortunately, those of us whose entire houses are not covered in lino (sarcasm mode) still need the occasional stain cleaner-upper.

...and Natalie, I feel for you! :eek: After Barra barfed on my pillow while I was at work one day, I decided to keep my bedroom door shut tight. If she's going to inflict some ugly on a piece of furniture I prefer it to NOT be the one I sleep on.

Use the Natures Miracle! I tried the peroxide and dawn and it turned my carpet ORANGE! I have a diabetic cat that prior to insulin would not make it to the litter box. Natures Miracle takes out all of the smell and does not stain your carpet. When our German Wirehaired Pointer had problems, also very elderly, I put a large size "pull up" potty training pants on her, cut out an area for the tail and it worked wonderfully. She did not seem to mind wearing them around the house. It got to the point we would have to carry her out because she could not stand any longer. She is no longer with us, it is very difficult watching our dear ones get old.

• 4 years later...

I know I'm re-opening an old discussion, but Nature's Miracle didn't work for me. And, I can't find anywhere that carries Folex. What else could work? I've been using a bleach-type spray, but she keeps going in the same spot. Should I do a deep-carpet cleaning? I don't want my room (which is the only place she does it) to start to smell. What is a good brand to use?

A friend who cleans carpets for a living says to do this:

Blot the urine as much as possible if still wet.

A little trick I used while house training cerb: Use a wet/dry shop vacuum rather than blotting. It pulls more urine out of the carpet and doesn't push it down into the deeper layers.

lol, I still have to get a new shop vac. the dog hair killed my old one, and I had that one for YEARS! okay, I think tonight I'm going to go rent one of those steam cleaning things just until I can go get a new shop vac this weekend. Is there a special kind of vaccum shampoo to use? Is it pet-friendly to use the steam cleaner. I have a carpet shampoo-er, but I just need more of the shampoo stuff. Do you think it's possible to make my own by mixing different cleaning aids?

lol, I still have to get a new shop vac. the dog hair killed my old one, and I had that one for YEARS! okay, I think tonight I'm going to go rent one of those steam cleaning things just until I can go get a new shop vac this weekend. Is there a special kind of vaccum shampoo to use? Is it pet-friendly to use the steam cleaner. I have a carpet shampoo-er, but I just need more of the shampoo stuff. Do you think it's possible to make my own by mixing different cleaning aids?

Ann, is this an older/incontinent dog or a puppy?

To be honest, we just used the shop vac and really sucked the spot dry. Then we followed up with "Resolve", which is a cheap, grocery store pet stain cleaner. The trick is to get as much out of the carpet as you can with the vac while it's still wet. The more you get out, the less you have to "treat". We have rugs over a bamboo floor and if we caught it ASAP, the stain wouldn't even soak through the backing. I really think the vacuum is key.

I'm just a cheap Scotsman and wont pay for expensive cleaners. What I use is a solution of the washing powder or liquid. The stuff you clean your clothes with. They all advertise stain remover power etc. Wet the area and leave for a little while for it to get into the fibres. Then scrub it and dry with a towel, and allow to dry. That should do the trick.

http://www.zeroodor.com/

A lifetime supply should come with every new puppy!

Neighborhood cats have sprayed my front door one too many times, and the whole wooden door frame reeks of cat pee. I have tried Natures Miracle, vinegar, peroxide and Dawn, a whole host of things. It goes away for a while but then comes back. Would this work, do you think?

It is/was for a puppy. It's been a week without any accidents! I'm so proud of her! She is even going and sitting by the door and will do one little bark to let everyone know she needs to go out. She will even wake me up in the middle of the night if she really needs to go.

• 3 years later...

I do clean carpets for a living so hopefully I can help. Hydrogen Peroxide is a reducing agent so it will bleach out your carpet so unless you have a very light colored carpet your exchange is a yellow stain for a white one. Next mixing vinegar and baking soda is mixing acid with a base aside from the chemical reaction it will cause they will neutralize each other. Over the counter stain removers may work but just to expensive to use. Ammonia is not a good fabric cleaner for to many reasons to explain. Remember Odor and Stain are separate problems. The Yellow stain is likely a result of the urine being alkaline causing a tannin stain (Yellow Brownish Discoloring)

For this a simple treatment of a 50/50 solution of white vinegar and distilled water, using just a touch of enzyme dye free laundry detergent. Spray on lightly scrup and towel. Repeat till stain is gone and be careful not to over wet. For the odor, use one part 32 oz (approx.) Febreze and add another over the counter deodorizer equally, then mix in 1 pint of 90-92 % rubbing alcohol

then about 4 oz of fabric softener. mix together well and spray liberally. Good luck and let me know if you have any questions.