BC Boards

Kelpie's

I met a foster dog today, that has kind of thrown me for a loop. One of the small town Humane Societies around here has him and is describing him as a Kelpie. Him and his brother were evidently a couple of ranch dogs that got lose and were never claimed and ended up in rescue.

Since I can't figure out how to post a picture or a link to his adoption page, I will have to try to describe him. He looks to me like a R/W BC smooth coat with a bob tail. He has a large white blaze on his chest, white socks, a BC white stripe down his face and head, and huge bat ears. Additionally he has one merle eye. He is one very handsome dog and I was told he was around 1 1/2 YO. He had a great temperament around people and generally ignored other dogs preferring to sniff and explore.

My understanding is that it is pretty rare for a Kelpie to have any white in their coats, and it is almost unheard of to see one with a merle eye. From what I have read Kelpies exhibit Eye sometimes, but that doesn't really give me a lot to go on as to what the differences are in behavior between Kelpies and BC's.

I am considering possibly adopting him, but don't really know exactly what I am getting into if he is in fact a Kelpie. I would think a BC should not have much trouble getting along with a Kelpie and vice versa.

Maybe he's a Mc Nab? I think sometimes they have stumpy tails & more white with bat ears?

Just type out the address. People can copy and paste. :)

Oops, sorry! I just realized that was not very helpful since some of those links can be really long and impossible to type out. The dog sounded so interesting and I really wanted to see a photo.

Edited by RemsMom

The Kelpies I have known have been very distinct from border collies. No white, and a much more foxy appearance to the face. Just this afternoon I met a R/W smoothie, blue eyes, with a tail, and it was a BC/McNab cross. They frequently are without tails, however. It had all the intensity of a BC. So I wouldn't be surprised if this dog was some BC or McNab cross. Don't forget that there are definitely some regions where border collies have their tails docked.

If he is a Kelpie, I have found them to be very much like border collies, but all of them have been quite timid. I wouldn't make a general statement saying they're all like that, though.

Doesn't sound at all like a kelpie. Noisy beasts generally.

Big and beefy, small and slender, any colour from light sand to black. Never seen one with a white blaze although some have a little white on the chest.

Popularity in agility here has inevitably led to some bad breeding followed by disillusion.

Most people I know with a kelpie have collies too. Some have gone from collie to kelpie and back to collie, others have stuck with kelpies.

Our KC doesn't recognise the breed. Originally the ones taking part in agility were all working bred but with increased popular with that is no longer the case. Some people may import working bred dogs from Australia but their prime purpose is to produce sport dogs - maybe dabbling in a little work on the side.

The old familiar story.

The dog is being fostered by the Okmulgee Humane Society, Okmulgee, Ok, and his name is Waylon.

I am going to try to type out the link for him.

htpps://www.petfinder.com/petdetail/30066713/

I hope the link works. The more I look around and research the more I think he is a McNabb, as I think his tail is naturally docked. That said this will be the first time I have heard of a McNabb in Oklahoma if that is what he is.

Having met the dog in person, he is all collie of some type, just not sure what type.

GVC,

He actually looks much better in person, than he does in the photos. He needs to be put on a better diet, as his coat is not the best. He never really broke out into a full run, but he had the ground covering Collie trot down to a science. My one major concern is how my BC would get along with him if I adopt him. They met, but showed very little interest in each other.

I think he is handsome & he looks on the ball yet goofy. I would guess a Mc Nab or maybe even a Mc Nab x Aust Shep..the last pic he looks a bit like an aussie besides the ears & short fur. I don't think he is much if any kelpie, but I can see how someone could make a guess.

Good luck. I hope he fits in!!

https://www.facebook.com/bonnyquick.co.uk

The red tri and the b/w with airplane ears in the photos are both BC / Kelpie mixes. I think the one by the lake gives the best view.

I'm sure people would be able to come up with photos of pure bred BCs that look very similar.

I would say BC mix, but he could be all BC.

I don't see Kelpie in him, but I am not exactly any kind of expert on Kelpies, having known a grand total of one in my life.

Nice looking dog, looks friendly and goofy. His attitude reminds me of my Kit, who is a love.

I have seen natural dogs in all different lengths, just like cats. They may have half a tail, or 2,3,or 5 or any other number of vertebra. I've even seen naturals with no tail whatsoever, that's bad though, because a lot of them have no anal tone, which means no bowel control.

How strange. I was looking at that dog and his brother prior to adopting my guy (he was from the okc animal control). My advice with an adult rescue is to look at the dog in front of you more than breed. If you like them then go for it.