BC Boards

How do you teach the Go Slow command

I know this is a very basic command but I am not doing to well at it so I was wondering if anyone had a specific way of teaching Speed Commands. Juno is walking pretty well these days but I would like to be able to say Go Slower at times, especially when going down hills.

Thanks

Bill

In obedience, there is the slow pace in heeling. The command is often "back." In the old days, we would jerk back on the collar to get the dog to slow. Nowadays, it is often taught with rewards (usually treats) or praise when the dog is in the correct position. Once the dog gets the idea that he needs to slow down, it is just a matter of a little practice to walk at that pace.

Jinx doesn't know a formal "heel" yet(haven't tried to train it). But he does know "get back" which is walk behind me and stay close. I would practice changing speeds with him. "hurry up" to go faster and "steady" or "slow down" for slow down. I would just warn him then I would change speed, he caught on pretty quick that he had to speed up when i said hurry up and slow down to stay behind me when i said slow down. I do most of his walking off leash in the woods... so his reward is usually "go ahead" or "go sniff"

I train a "come along" which is to stay at leash distance from me - in any direction that is not directly ahead of me (I am still in charge of the direction and pace and I want the dog's attention). I train this by starting when they are very young and I can pick them up and place them where I want them. I train it several times a day, every day of the week. They must go at my pace - so speed is controlled. It is really leash training without the leash.

When they are on a long leash or running looser, I use a "slow-easy" command which is useful for inside places, when children or elderly people are involved, where you are not sure what is ahead, etc. - I use it later for formal training with Service and SaR dogs. Essentially it is a voice modulation command - could be any word, really. I have conditioned them to respond to a "slooooooow" tone. Easy to teach while walking on a leash. Just go slow and use your voice tone/word pronunciation to match your speed. Dogs respond to it like people do - intuitively.

When they are conditioned it is a very very useful tool to have. Slows their responses to things - gets them to approach situations/people more calmly and with thought.

Thanks for the suggestions.

CMP - I started the slow with a voice modulation yesterday and it seems to be working. You're right she seemed to get it intuitively. I'll keep at it.

With regards to the Come Along command i am not quite sure how to proceed because I have been letting Juno go in front of me on the loose leash as long as the leash is loose. Should I just call her to my side when she is on the leash using the Come Along command or do you think I should practice it on a long llne. This seems like a very important command to me so I would really like to get it right.

By the way, I am still using the whistle infrequently for recall and it is working well. Last week Juno went into the woods and I wasn't sure where she was. Normally I only use the whistle if I am sure she will return but I was a bit concerned so I gave the whistle a good blow and she bolted out of the woods back to me. I was impressed.

Thanks

Bill

Hi CMP

Sorry I misread the first part of your comment regarding Come Along. I now see that the dog is not on the leash for this so I guess it makes sense for me to practice it on the long line at first now that Juno is a year old.

Thanks again

Bill

My poor Gidget has many commands while walking, but how she learned them is maybe not the correct way but all the things I was told just were too complicated for this old lady whos hands dont work to be using clickers and a cane and giving treats and all that stuff at the same time so this is what i did.

When she pulled on me i stop... I don't move, I become a statue! I dont budge i say nothing, i dont do a darn thing I may look like a total idiot but I just do not care. She figures it out and looks at me and i point to my side if she comes to me i say yes then i say heal and off we go, if she do it again then once again i am a statue! oh it is a pain, but turning around and walking the other direction is more pain for me, standing there don't hurt me because i use a hands free leash. it has been working, all her things i teach her is with this system, I do have some things she does where I hold the leash, but same principle, statue seems to get my girls attention in a quick hurry, she don't like it when I don't move.

Hi Lizabeth

I always seem to be one step behind you. I have just started using the statue technique a week or two ago instead of walking backwards, and like you, I have found it to be very effective. The reason i was asking about a slow command was that i was hoping to be more proactive and get Juno to slow down on command. CMP's suggestion to modulate the voice has been working for me the last couple of days. Juno just seems to be improving in so many areas since she turned one.

Cheers

Bill

We do have as I call them slips, usually when I am not able to keep up with working her for a few days, we go back to square one, though she bounces back rather quick, she don't like when I turn into a statue lol. But even in the house I have her on the leash at times working with her, mainly because I need her for balance. The 2 step thing has helped her to really learn to slow down. I think with these young border collies anytime we want to slow them down is almost like punishment they seem to have 2 speeds, fast and faster lol! Can you run or play your bc hard before walks? I have found that if I tucker Gidget out a little bit before a walk I have a much better behaved and more willing to work with me dog then when I don't take that 10 minutes out of my time before we head out.

Also with my new leash that has a belt that the leash clips on to, Id hate to think what would happen should she try to run off full speed after a leaf blowing in the wind haha.

I also find that her walking is better after she has run or played for a while. She is usually out in the yard before our walks so she often has a good run after a squirrel or some noise from the end of the yard. Usually her run comes in the middle of our walks when I let her loose for a while on the long line.

Yes someone here actually had said about using the long line when I was first working with Gidget, it worked wonders. Now we have a shorter line that we use, still do bring out the longer one from time to time, but I am using the shorter hands free line now more often as we are training for going for walks into public areas and stores. Once again this weekend I have not been able to work with her at all, was not home, couldn't bring her with me, so I hope tomorrow I can have a productive day with the dogs.