BC Boards

What to do before getting a dog?

Honestly, I don't know that it's a thing that can be pinned down to lines. It's very common in border collies (reactivity, not necessarily outright aggression) and in fact herders in general. They're made to react to and control motion. That can lead to overstimulation and frustration around other dogs, and it can also lead to other dogs REALLY not liking how they play/their mannerisms. They're not... dogs dogs, I guess is what I'm saying, or happy go lucky anything goes when it comes to dogs they don't share a household with.

I'm not saying they all do it, but it's a common enough trait that I'd expect it to be something that you need to work with and on, unless you have an adult dog with a known temperament.

And responding to something else you said:

And what do you mean by "but not so many really, really want to be a part of your life in the same way?

My example above - my dogs are all shades of velcro. There's not an independent one in the bunch. The one who is LEAST likely to want to touch me is Molly. She's not into physical contact. She wants to help, to be active, to engage with me, but that doesn't not include much in the way of snuggles or pets, and she will ABSOLUTELY go find something to do for herself if I'm not doing it for her.

My other dogs mostly just want to touch me. If I stop being interesting, they curl up beside me and go to sleep. If I stop being interesting Molly? Goes and flushes the toilet a dozen times in the bathroom, or throws a stick for herself. I go to sleep, the other dogs - even the big GSD mix - pile into bed with me. Molly goes and sleeps in her crate - door open, of her own decision. She only sleeps with me in the morning for a little bit, and if it's cold.

She wants to DO with me, she doesn't just want to BE with me.

Thank you again! I really appreciate your replies.

I think I could manage Dog Reactivity, but not Dog Aggression. I just don't want to deal a dog aggressive BC. I'm aware some of this behavior can be curbed, but, it can never be "taken" away.

DA = Dog aggressive. DR is ... dog reactive?

Yes.

I can't say that I'd recommend fostering or (owning) a dog during college. Definitely not the first year. College is a major life experience and is an important developmental time during young adulthood. There is so much to learn, not necessarily about your major, but about yourself, too.

Dogs are a huge responsibility. You have the rest of your life for responsibilities (darn it)! I graduated from undergrad 9 years ago and I can't tell you how much I miss the days of care-free college life. Have fun! Enjoy college and all that it offers academically and socially. Without a dog, you can be available to do whatever you'd like and live in the moment. After you graduate, you can't really go back to that lifestyle :(

Others have suggested volunteering and I think that's the best idea for your situation. Foster dogs still cost money, too! And if you're not going to invest the same effort into a foster dog as you would your own dog, I wouldn't recommend getting involved. A lot of people recommend fostering before getting a dog, but I'm not sure I always agree with that. Fostering should be the same commitment as owning, but just doesn't last the dog's entire life. I don't think it should be used as the first step to owning a dog, or having a warm-up. The only difference to me would be the timeline: temporary vs permanent. Granted, the right rescue would match an inexperienced fosterer with an appropriate dog and wouldn't set them up for failure, but even with the easiest dog, it's still a huge change going from "no dog life" to "dog-centered" life.

Maybe you have more dog experience than I'm thinking, but have you worked at a boarding center, groomer, vet clinic, rescue, etc? Have you done any dog-sitting or dog walking? I see that one of your potential jobs is at a daycare facility and to me, I think that's an excellent first step!

Once you get involved with local dog people, you may be able to find someone who has a dog that they would let you play around with in agility or some other activity. While I was still in school I got to do that with a retired sheepdog and it was a super experience! Katy got worked when she otherwise wouldn't have, and I got to have a part-time dog.

I can understand where you are. I am an obsessive planner and need to have everything set up in my mind. By senior year of college I had carefully chosen which dog breeds I wanted to own...during freshman year of vet school I instead settled on a border collie and trained in flyball and agility...by the end of vet school I owned a fully trained sheepdog...and 5 years later I have my own farm and 6 border collies. Life is so unpredictable, especially during the time you're about to enter. Don't get yourself in too deep too soon, just have fun :)

I find the Border Collies exceptionally independent. They were bred to be. For example, our farm is literally in the mountains by the ocean. Pastures are hillsides, plateaus and little islands are where our dogs work and they have to work all by themselves fairly often, with the human standing a fair distance away, at the bottom of the hill usually. Independence is critical. Not sure about other people but it is valued here and considered a quality that puts a plus mark in that dog's breedability column.

Like CptJack, if my BCs get bored, they rarely just snuggle up and stick to me, they go find something to do. If I give them five toys and stop playing with them before they have them all figured out, they ignore me totally and pay attention to the toys. They are not snuggly except when they want to be and will get quite miffed if you try and make them snuggly when they don't want it. Want to get bit or bitten at? Try and pick up a Border Collie that doesn't want to be picked up and most, in my experience, do not like being carried.

They are fabulous life companions - but they are not lap dogs. They are really loyal and love doing things with you - but they won't tolerate a lot of "lets sit here and be quiet together" unless that is what THEY feel like at that time.

And, for another opinion, all but one of mine have seemed to enjoy snuggling as mature adults. My 5 y/o adores it. I respect mine as creatures with individual preferences and comfort zones and have never had an issue with handling. Teach them what to expect, tell them what you're doing, respect them and, IME, it should be fine.

I respect mine as creatures with individual preferences and comfort zones and have never had an issue with handling. Teach them what to expect, tell them what you're doing, respect them and, IME, it should be fine.

This.

Maybe you have more dog experience than I'm thinking, but have you worked at a boarding center, groomer, vet clinic, rescue, etc? Have you done any dog-sitting or dog walking? I see that one of your potential jobs is at a daycare facility and to me, I think that's an excellent first step!

No. Unfortunately, I don't have all that much dog experience.

The only dog experience I had/have is/was dog walking (breed-JRT,),& dog-sitting(breeds- Yorkie x Poodle,& unknown mix.)

However, as metioned before, I'm looking into working at Dog Daycare/Kennel. So, I'm hoping I'll be able to work their.

I did have a dog camp at Humane Society. But, that was a few years ago.

IMO, volunteering at a shelter or with a rescue organization is a much better idea than fostering while you are in school. Fostering requires every bit as much commitment of time and energy (and money) as having your own dog does, and sometimes more if the foster dog has issues that need to be worked on.

The time that a dog is in foster care is pivotal to that dog's success in his or her future permanent home, and it is very important for the dog to have considered care and a lot of specific attention in the foster home.

If it is not the right time to own your own dog, it is not the right time to foster!

In my experience, having a very stable home with established routines, and a stable, well trained, and cooperative pack of dogs (or one dog who is solid, well trained, and confident in his or her place in the home) is the best environment into which to bring a foster dog. Foster dogs are very often confused, frightened, off-balance, and in general not at their best, and for good reason. They need to come into a place where they can quickly figure out that things work a certain way and are predictable and safe. The life of most full time college students is not compatible with this kind of environment.

The time that a dog is in foster care is pivotal to that dog's success in his or her future permanent home, and it is very important for the dog to have considered care and a lot of specific attention in the foster home.

If it is not the right time to own your own dog, it is not the right time to foster!

In my experience, having a very stable home with established routines, and a stable, well trained, and cooperative pack of dogs (or one dog who is solid, well trained, and confident in his or her place in the home) is the best environment into which to bring a foster dog. Foster dogs are very often confused, frightened, off-balance, and in general not at their best, and for good reason. They need to come into a place where they can quickly figure out that things work a certain way and are predictable and safe. The life of most full time college students is not compatible with this kind of environment.

I think this depends on the situation and the college student. The shelter I work with fosters out a number of dogs that have a temperamental or medical need to be the only pet in the house. The college schedule can be more flexible than a traditional 9-5; that can help with dogs that can't be left alone for 8-10 hours at a stretch.

It totally depends on the individual...as a college student I owned 6 dogs that I actively trained and competed with and fostered regularly all while going to school full time and working part time. For me, it totally worked because I lived with someone else, owned my own house, my part time jobs were dog related (groomer and vet tech) so I was able to get cheap vet care and sometimes bring my dogs to work, and while school took up a lot of time I wasn't actually out of the house for long periods of time so I could come home, play with/train dogs and go to dog classes and then stay up late doing schoolwork. It was crazy but I loved it and it worked for me. The few times I needed help (during a fieldwork rotation when I had to work 9-5 in another city) I had the resources to pay a pet sitter to come at midday and play with my dogs for an hour.

So rather than focus on an arbitrary "student or not student" in your shes I would focus on how many hours a day you have, what your home set up is, what kind of money situation you are in and how would you meet the expenses of the dog (and also pay for any damage that might happen with a dog) what other kinds of pets live there, who else is available to help if you need it, will you have to move soon, what will you do if the foster you planned on having for a few weeks to months ends up being harder to place, etc.

I also did the dog/college/work thing. At one time I had three Border Collies in that scenario. IMO, there are one of two ways that it works - you're an established "dog" person going into it (I was) or you're part way through college and have the doog friendly housing secured and realize you have time for a dog with your schedule, etc. It was a lot of work and I didn't have a life outside of work, school and dogs. But it totally worked for me as I'm the type of person who'd rather hike with/train dogs instead of other social activities. As the OP is just getting ready to start school and is not currently involved with dogs, I think that they are very wise in holding off a couple years at least. A job working with dogs or volunteering for a shelter in an excellent way to gain perspective and experience!

I agree that it depends on the individual. And I didn't mean start fostering a dog right away as soon as you move out. I think it's better to wait at least a year into school so that you know what to expect. You could volunteer during that time like people have suggested. Once you're sure you can take care of your own needs and have the time/energy to devote to a dog (and the finances), then you can look into fostering. It's helpful to live with people who love dogs, as well--of my friends who had dogs in college, most had one or two roommates who also took care of them. Since their schedules varied, there would always be someone around in case of an emergency (once, one of my friends' dogs grabbed a bar of chocolate off their counter D:). It's not a necessity, though. Hindsight is 20/20, but I feel that if I had the chance to foster in college (when my schedule was more flexible and I didn't live alone) I would've been better prepared when I actually got my own dog. I felt like a first time parent: even though I could seek out advice from other people and the Internet, I still felt a bit lost. At least in Kieran's case, he blended into my life almost right away, but I understand that that is the exception rather than the rule.