BC Boards

What to do before getting a dog?

In my current situation, getting a dog, just isn't going to work. This is for many reasons, and, some of reasons, I just can't control. Although it's unfortunate, it is probably for the best. The other people in life, have little to no desire to meet the needs of the breeds, that I'm considering. Which just wouldn't work.I'm not looking to get a dog anytime soon, it will be at least a few years, until I considering adding a dog. This will be once I'm settled down,& the time,& money to raise a dog.

Border Collie's are one of the many breeds I am considering. They've always been breed that I've been interested in. I know their needs,& I do plan on meeting those needs, whether it's agility, frisbee, dock dogs , herding, or another sport. Not only that, but just doing general exercise, swimming, fetch, walking, running,& go on hikes.

What do you recommend I do before getting a dog?

What should I read? What trails,& dog related events should I go to?

Anything else?

Are you thinking about a puppy or adult dog? If you're going the adult rescue route, I like the book(let) 'Love has no age limit' (super cheesy name, decent information) by Patricia McConnell and Karen London.

Due to it being a long ways off, I'm not entirely sure yet. Both are consideration. I have no issues with rescuing.

ETA: I still need to look into the pro's,& con's of both rescuing,& getting a puppy(or older dog) from a breeder.

Do you need a dog fix?

If I didn't have my own dog, I would be volunteering at the local shelter - walking dogs, training dogs, and yes, probably cleaning up too. You would get to interact with many different breeds of dogs and increase your understanding of and experience with many different dog issues, behaviors, personalities, etc.

Do you have friends who need dog-sitters? - if that is possible for your schedule.

I also like the Patricia McConnell book mentioned above for anyone adopting a rescue dog.

You may want to visit any dog event you think you will participate in - flyball, herding, agility, disc dog, rally, whatever. I thought flyball looked cool when I saw it on TV, but one or two visits to flyball competitions convinced me I didn't want my dog to participate - but I still like to observe. Or you may find an activity that you want to try and wasn't on your radar.

When I decided to get a border collie I had done my research, I thought. Because I wanted a Border Collie, I skimmed over a lot of the issues and decided that I would have no problem exercising her enough and spending enough time with her. What I hadn't really considered was how long Border Collies take to mature. My pup is now 11 months old and I wouldn't trade her for the world but her demands initially were more than I had anticipated. I think a good way of preparing would be to read the threads on this forum regularly. Not only will you get good advice for later but you will get an idea about some of the issues people are dealing with. Border Collies need exercise but they also need a lot of mental stimulation. They are a very special breed of dog.

Good luck in the future

Bill

Start saving money. The amount you pay to bring your dog home will only be a small percentage of the total cost. I got my puppy at nine weeks and she is very healthy and happy....but...she had a UTI so that was an extra trip to the vet. Now she has a couple of parasites (that the vet assured me were very common in puppies) and I paid a pretty penny for the medication. And my pup has a small bump (like a wart) on her leg that will require another extra trip to the vet.

Add in a crate, collar, leash, puppy classes, toys and things to chew and it really adds up. If you have a little money in savings you will be prepared for the extra expenses.

And I agree with visiting dog events so you can get an idea if the activity is something you think you will be interested in. Also, check out some dog trainers and see if you can sit and watch their classes. This will give you a good feel if the trainer is someone that you would like to work with.

Find a way to get to know people who own the breeds you are interested in, and consequently get to know their dogs. when I worked in a grooming shop, a new girl started and when asked what breed she wanted (she was young and never had a dog of her own), she said a Scotty! We kindly said, no you don't. We had a good laugh but told her, once you get to know some, you'll most likely change your mind. And she did. She later said, there was no way she would ever want one now, after meeting so many. She had no idea what they were like, and just reading about them sure didn't compare to real life time with the breed, she later ended up with an Aussie which is a breed much more suited for her personality.

Volunteering at a shelter or going to events (trials, sit in at a pet training class, etc)are great ways of spending time with different dogs. Do you know anyone who owns a border collie? Ask to walk them or ask to just pick their brain.

I'd just like to thank everyone who has answered! I really appreciate your advice.

Do you need a dog fix?

If I didn't have my own dog, I would be volunteering at the local shelter - walking dogs, training dogs, and yes, probably cleaning up too. You would get to interact with many different breeds of dogs and increase your understanding of and experience with many different dog issues, behaviors, personalities, etc.

Do you have friends who need dog-sitters? - if that is possible for your schedule.

I also like the Patricia McConnell book mentioned above for anyone adopting a rescue dog.

You may want to visit any dog event you think you will participate in - flyball, herding, agility, disc dog, rally, whatever. I thought flyball looked cool when I saw it on TV, but one or two visits to flyball competitions convinced me I didn't want my dog to participate - but I still like to observe. Or you may find an activity that you want to try and wasn't on your radar.

Of course I do:p I'll admit,I daydream about having a dog. I toture myself by looking at petfinder, but it's so addictive looking on there.

Excuse me for getting off-topic.

While I DO want to volunteer, I'm not sure if it's entirely possible. I don't my drivers license yet(confidential reasons). So, that isn't option right now.

I dog sit for one of my neighbors, which I love doing, I've gained some experience from this, too. However they aren't really breeds/mixes that I'm interested in. I might possibly, walk my neighbors new puppy.

Here are the dogsports I'm currently interested in:

• Agility

• Canine Disc /Frisbee

• Dock Dogs

• Freestyle

• Herding

When I decided to get a border collie I had done my research, I thought. Because I wanted a Border Collie, I skimmed over a lot of the issues and decided that I would have no problem exercising her enough and spending enough time with her. What I hadn't really considered was how long Border Collies take to mature. My pup is now 11 months old and I wouldn't trade her for the world but her demands initially were more than I had anticipated. I think a good way of preparing would be to read the threads on this forum regularly. Not only will you get good advice for later but you will get an idea about some of the issues people are dealing with. Border Collies need exercise but they also need a lot of mental stimulation. They are a very special breed of dog.

Good luck in the future

Bill

That's the exact reason I joined, to get more experience. Though, I really need to meet BC's in person, before I get one.

When you mean mental simulation, do mean Kongs, Puzzle toys ,& stuff like that?

I still have a ton of learning to do. I'm sorry for all the questions,& me being so uneducated. I just want to learn as much as possible, before I get a dog.

I think everyone might have a different list, but some random thoughts:

Yes, set aside money (its huge! Puppies can sometimes be expensive in their first year!). Decide how you will deal with unexpected expenses such as injuries or major illness: set aside savings, credit card, pet insurance?

Talk to pet loving friends ind a good retailer (online or other wise) for crates, gates, food and toys.

Proactively have resources that you had time to look into such as a vet that comes recommended, a place to take basic and sports dog classes you feel is a good fit (you can talk to people and visit classes without a dog).

Have a little bit of time of banked so if you need to you can have a few days around the puppy coming home.

Decide how you will deal with things like taking the puppy out on work days, and where you will put the crates and gates.

Lots of reading.

Lots of good responses/advice here. I'll only add what should be obvious: bringing home a dog is a commitment. You have to commit not just money; but more importantly - time, attention, affection, loyalty to your dog. You will have to be committed to teaching your dog what is expected and accepted. You will have to be flexible, adaptable. Your dog will have a personality, and that will place some demands on you in response. Your dog may get sick, or make messes, or break things. You'll have to take it in stride, while seeking to correct behaviors that might be really unacceptable.

In our house we have an oft-repeated saying: 'price of puppies'. Puppies in this case really means any dogs from our current to pups to our 13 1/2 year old girl. There really is a constant price to having a dog of any age; though we wouldn't want to ever do without them.

There's an awful lot of ads on Craigslist from people looking to rehome their dogs. No doubt some folks really can't keep their dog for unanticipated reasons and consequences; but the cynic in me says that way too many people get a dog without realizing they are making a commitment not entirely dissimilar to the deepest comradeship or marriage.

So be ready to love your dog, and grow together with him or her. You won't regret it, and you'll be amazed at how your dog brings out your character and qualities, and really does help you evolve. And you'll be forever grateful for it.

• 1 month later...

I would like to emphasize what Medic09 touched on. A dog is a commitment for life, so you need to be prepared to give 14 or 15 years (or more) to your canine companion. From your posts it seems you might be fairly young and it's good that you're putting off ownership for a few years. When you do become serious about looking, please consider all the things you might want to do (school, marriage, children, travel, etc.) that might be complicated by owning a dog. It's always better to opt to wait than to take in a canine friend only to find that you need to rehome it a few years down the road as your life circumstances change.

J.

Herding, as it relates to Border Collies, is not really a "sport". It's a vocation. Those that do not work can often benefit by being part of a sport. Sometimes people do herding as a sport (with their dogs) but ... I feel it is important to make the distinction clear to prospective first time owners. A Border Collie is a working dog. It really is important because it makes up HUGE chunks of why and how they do things.

They can be GREAT pets and sport dogs, of course, but that is not what their DNA has prepared them to be. If you go in understanding this, you and the dog will be fine.

Mental stimulation: yes, Kongs and puzzle toys are good - but it has always been my experience that BC need a great deal of mental stimulation of the variety that comes from interaction with a human. I tell you, a drive to the market with plenty of stops so we can start to put names to scents and everyday items, tires her out more than even the most carefully stuffed Kong.

I always think this is because the history of the breed is "farm dog", if you will, and as is still done today on our farm, dogs - starting as puppies - spent the day following around the farmer, learning things - often indirectly. THAT sort of mental stimulation. They are best when you can make them a part of your everyday life because they have been selectively bred to thrive on partnership. Whatever you do, whatever job you have, a properly integrated BC will find stimulating, generally speaking.

Everyone has given great advice.

I really love this place.

I would just like to reiterate that I will not be getting for at least four years. So, actually getting a dog, won't be anytime soon.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I'm sorry I haven't replied to everyone. I'm having some issues with the forum. I can't seem to reply to more then two quotes, because I just get an error message.

ETA: Maybe it's because I am on mobile? I'm going to try from laptop.

ETA 2:

Start saving money. The amount you pay to bring your dog home will only be a small percentage of the total cost. I got my puppy at nine weeks and she is very healthy and happy....but...she had a UTI so that was an extra trip to the vet. Now she has a couple of parasites (that the vet assured me were very common in puppies) and I paid a pretty penny for the medication. And my pup has a small bump (like a wart) on her leg that will require another extra trip to the vet.

Add in a crate, collar, leash, puppy classes, toys and things to chew and it really adds up. If you have a little money in savings you will be prepared for the extra expenses.

And I agree with visiting dog events so you can get an idea if the activity is something you think you will be interested in. Also, check out some dog trainers and see if you can sit and watch their classes. This will give you a good feel if the trainer is someone that you would like to work with.

I agree with those who've suggest to start setting aside money. Unfortunately, due to some personal circumstances, I do not have a job. Which means, I do not have that much extra money,I don't even have that much money, period. Setting aside money for when I bring home a dog, just isn't possible right now. However, I'm currently searching for a job. Which will hopefully be soon. Once I do have a job, I do plan on setting aside some money.

What is even better is that one of my potential jobs might be at a Dog Daycare/Kennel, which would be great for dog experience.

I have that feeling that I will end up buying too many dog collars, & leashes.

Find a way to get to know people who own the breeds you are interested in, and consequently get to know their dogs. when I worked in a grooming shop, a new girl started and when asked what breed she wanted (she was young and never had a dog of her own), she said a Scotty! We kindly said, no you don't. We had a good laugh but told her, once you get to know some, you'll most likely change your mind. And she did. She later said, there was no way she would ever want one now, after meeting so many. She had no idea what they were like, and just reading about them sure didn't compare to real life time with the breed, she later ended up with an Aussie which is a breed much more suited for her personality.

Volunteering at a shelter or going to events (trials, sit in at a pet training class, etc)are great ways of spending time with different dogs. Do you know anyone who owns a border collie? Ask to walk them or ask to just pick their brain.

One of the main reasons for joining here is/was to gain more information from people who own the breed. I have lurked here awhile, before joining, & it seems that a lot of people have great advice, & have different experiences.

As for sitting in class- What should/How should I ask about sitting in training class?

I live in Wisconsin- What trails should I attend?

Mental stimulation: yes, Kongs and puzzle toys are good - but it has always been my experience that BC need a great deal of mental stimulation of the variety that comes from interaction with a human. I tell you, a drive to the market with plenty of stops so we can start to put names to scents and everyday items, tires her out more than even the most carefully stuffed Kong.

I always think this is because the history of the breed is "farm dog", if you will, and as is still done today on our farm, dogs - starting as puppies - spent the day following around the farmer, learning things - often indirectly. THAT sort of mental stimulation. They are best when you can make them a part of your everyday life because they have been selectively bred to thrive on partnership. Whatever you do, whatever job you have, a properly integrated BC will find stimulating, generally speaking.

Yeah, this. I'm a new BC owner and as someone else mentioned what I was prepared for was basically a dog who needed a lot of training and exercise and.

Well, my pup learns fast and loves formal training sessions and classes, and she absolutely has energy to burn, but that's not really the most striking thing to me. The thing that strikes me often and catches me off guard is how involved she is. I have other dogs who are velcro - they want to be close and touching you all the time - but that's really not the kind of thing Molly has going on.

My other dogs might follow me to the bathroom to stay close to me and hope they'll be pet since I'm a captive audience. Molly doesn't do that. Molly follows me into the bathroom, sits intently and watches me pull out the toilet paper, flush the toilet, turn on the sink and wash my hands and turn it off again. Then she leaves with me. After a while of doing this, she appeared downstairs carrying the toilet paper -she had to scale bathroom fixtures to get it. A bit later, she was flushing the toilet, both to drink out of it and not. Now she's standing on the toilet and nosing the faucet handle up to turn it on. And she's PREDICTING what's next in the routine and moving place to place in anticipation of what's next.

And, okay, maybe I could have picked another daily ritual to explain this, but while I'm sure some border collies are velcro in just wanting to be close and loved Molly's only interested in that when she's sleepy. Otherwise, she's close because she wants to know what I am doing, how things work, and to be part of it - whatever 'it' is. The other dogs watch me do laundry and want a little training, maybe a treat, and a pet and to stick close. Molly starts yanking the clothes out of the drier. It's glorious and funny and fun and sometimes exasperating, but it's honestly in some ways more like having a toddler than a puppy.

Indeed it is (like having a toddler).

I love this about them. This wanting to be a part of your life, paying attention to things, learning as they go. And it is THIS which I caution people about. Lots of puppies have tons of energy and are "hyperactive" (to use the conventional term which is wrong for describing a BC) but not so many really, really want to be a part of your life in the same way.

If you are not ready for THAT, then you are not ready for a BC :)

Yeah. I can honestly come up with maybe a dozen things I would 'warn' people to be prepared for when it comes to BC, based on my experience this far and the level of involvement they need to thrive is at the top of the list, but energy level's probably at the bottom.

Noise and motion sensitivity, the ability to become fixated, that they don't like appreciate many other dogs' playstyles, and that other dog's don't often appreciate THEIRS, that letting them practice 'herding' by being a jerk to dogs, cats, kids, or other is a really stupid idea, not to reward any behavior you don't want to become a fixture, that consistency is probably more important with them than some other breeds I've had or own because of their speed at forming associations, to absolutely enforce down time and train an off switch, that they tend to be soft... things like that, yes.

That they need exercise? Meh. All dogs need exercise.

But I am still in a weird place where Molly's one of the easier puppies I've raised so I may have an easy dog or may just have already had the right lifestyle for her. I tend to lean toward the second, but either way it biases me and makes it harder to pick out potential issues in some ways.

And she's PREDICTING what's next in the routine and moving place to place in anticipation of what's next.

Oh my goodness, this! I thought I was crazy for thinking this because none of my friends have dogs who do this sort of thing (granted, they all have small, lapdog types). I stay up late watching my favorite TV show on most days. I'll get up intermittently during commercial breaks and Kieran will watch me silently from his bed, not moving. The second I turn off the TV, or in some cases close my laptop, he jumps up and runs toward my bedroom because he knows I'm going to head to sleep. I'm new here and it's nice to learn that this kind of prediction, as you say, is the norm. I don't even know if Kieran has any BC in him, but my friend calls him "the weirdest dog she's ever known" (and she's known a great many), since he doesn't exhibit typical dog behaviors and has really good observation skills.

I'll admit,I daydream about having a dog. I toture myself by looking at petfinder, but it's so addictive looking on there.

I really feel you here. I was in the same position two years ago, looking every day at dogs on Petfinder and wishing so much that I had one of my own. I agree with all the things people have mentioned here for preparing. I guess one of the small things I didn't expect was for Kieran to chew through his leash. I used to make two hour drives to visit my parents. I would tether Kieran to the back seat by his harness so in the case I needed to brake hard (or heaven forbid, hit something), he wouldn't go flying - yet still have enough slack to move comfortably. One time, when I got to my parents' house, I opened the door to let him out and was so shocked that he jumped out like nothing. Usually he'd wait until I told him it was okay. During the drive he had chewed off the leash, which was very thick! Of course, bored dog + long car ride = bad combo. I guess what I'm getting at is having spare items is important.

Thanks to everyone who has answered

Sorry for the delayed responses. I've had hectic schedule as of lately, due to school, searching for a job, & other reason. I am a member of a few other dog forums, so there is that.

I will try to get to everyone as soon as I can.

I would like to emphasize what Medic09 touched on. A dog is a commitment for life, so you need to be prepared to give 14 or 15 years (or more) to your canine companion. From your posts it seems you might be fairly young and it's good that you're putting off ownership for a few years. When you do become serious about looking, please consider all the things you might want to do (school, marriage, children, travel, etc.) that might be complicated by owning a dog. It's always better to opt to wait than to take in a canine friend only to find that you need to rehome it a few years down the road as your life circumstances change.

J.

Your are correct. I'm still fairly young, (as in) I have not yet gradute high school. I do plan to put off ownership for at least another four years. This is so I can finish college, be fairly settled, & be financially stable-to the point of where I can own a dog. Of coruse, that is just estimated, & most likely will be longer then four years. I'll be completely honest I never took marriage, or childern into consideration, but it is certainly something that I will consider. I'm not all that serious yet, but rather have more knowledge, then little to none.

I'd have to agree with the second bolted part. I would much rather wait, then potentially needing to rehome, because of circumstances. I dread the thought of rehoming a dog that I've owned. I know even people with the best plan, & the best intentions, have need to rehome there dog. I've seen happen to others, & it's unfortunate, but it was the best option to do, in that situation.

That is why I am waiting for at least four years, because I will just be too busy to take in a dog, & I most likely will not be finanacially stable. I want what is best for my next dog, & if that means waiting a few more years? I am totally fine with that.

Don't get me wrong, I would love to own have a dog right now, but, it just wouldn't be the right choice. Due to my family-memebers not being dog-savvy, & having very little dog knowledge.

I have a few questions(these are direct to anyone):

It was suggest to me, that I should consider fostering, during college. This would be before I own a dog.

What are your thoughts on this?

It was suggest to me, that I should consider fostering, during college. This would be before I own a dog.

I fostered during college and we had a few college kids foster for the rescue group I used to be involved in. It can work out great. There's one rub: Summer vacations and other school breaks, and housing.

Obviously you need housing to allow you to do it. You also need to make sure that the rescue group knows what the deal is re: breaks. A lot of the college fosters for our group were... respite fosters. Basically they took on fosters for short term situations like the other foster family going on vacation, or when we needed somewhere to put a dog for a week or two until their forever family could pick them up and the like.

Just be clear, but it can be a great experience and a great help, without the commitment.

You can also just volunteer too. I used to go in college and help out a few times a week at the local shelter. A lot is cleaning kennels but also walking, taking photos, if you were there long enough you could help counsel adoptions, take animals to adoption events, etc.

I think college is a really ideal time to foster a dog, with consideration to breaks like CptJack said. People told me that having a dog during college would be too difficult with school and work and what not, but looking back, I really wish I hadn't listened. You'd be living on your own and classes usually don't take up that much time compared to say, a full-time job. And this is coming from someone who majored in engineering, where the coursework was on average heavier. Where I am, the rent is usually extra per month if you want a pet, so that might be something to bear in mind, but I've also seen places where it was the same as not having one. As long as your classes/extracurriculars aren't too stressful for you, fostering would offer a great experience imo. Once you get your routine down, you'd be able to tell if you could handle it.

Yeah, this. I'm a new BC owner and as someone else mentioned what I was prepared for was basically a dog who needed a lot of training and exercise and.

Well, my pup learns fast and loves formal training sessions and classes, and she absolutely has energy to burn, but that's not really the most striking thing to me. The thing that strikes me often and catches me off guard is how involved she is. I have other dogs who are velcro - they want to be close and touching you all the time - but that's really not the kind of thing Molly has going on.

My other dogs might follow me to the bathroom to stay close to me and hope they'll be pet since I'm a captive audience. Molly doesn't do that. Molly follows me into the bathroom, sits intently and watches me pull out the toilet paper, flush the toilet, turn on the sink and wash my hands and turn it off again. Then she leaves with me. After a while of doing this, she appeared downstairs carrying the toilet paper -she had to scale bathroom fixtures to get it. A bit later, she was flushing the toilet, both to drink out of it and not. Now she's standing on the toilet and nosing the faucet handle up to turn it on. And she's PREDICTING what's next in the routine and moving place to place in anticipation of what's next.

And, okay, maybe I could have picked another daily ritual to explain this, but while I'm sure some border collies are velcro in just wanting to be close and loved Molly's only interested in that when she's sleepy. Otherwise, she's close because she wants to know what I am doing, how things work, and to be part of it - whatever 'it' is. The other dogs watch me do laundry and want a little training, maybe a treat, and a pet and to stick close. Molly starts yanking the clothes out of the drier. It's glorious and funny and fun and sometimes exasperating, but it's honestly in some ways more like having a toddler than a puppy.

I'm so glad your enjoying Molly. She seems like a great fit for you. Plus, Molly is absolutely stunning.

Honestly? I'd prefer a dog that similar in temperament to Molly, and DO want a dog that is similar in temperament, as opposed to a dog is who is more "independent". I really do prefer a "velrco" dog.

However there are few issues that do worry me about the breed.

1. I've heard that some lines can have DA or are DR. How true is this? What "lines" do these traits appear more in?

DA, & DR are something that I would really like to avoid. Especially since this will be my first dog

Indeed it is (like having a toddler).

I love this about them. This wanting to be a part of your life, paying attention to things, learning as they go. And it is THIS which I caution people about. Lots of puppies have tons of energy and are "hyperactive" (to use the conventional term which is wrong for describing a BC) but not so many really, really want to be a part of your life in the same way.

I want an a dog who can think for his/herself. But, I'm not looking for an independent dog. I do want a dog who does want to a part of my life. A dog who will be tune with me, & a dog who will observe his/her surroundings.

Ive worked with a few puppies before(dog-sitting), & they really do remind me of Toddler. But, the breeds/mixes I was working with, aren't even close to as much dog as BC is. They do have that puppy energy, but I wouldn't compare to a BC. It's almost like their energy differs, not in the way of Low, or High energy, but, in a way I can't explain. That is at least for the young BC I met a few years ago, which was a (dog) camp, through the humane society.

While I would to have a puppy as my first dog, I am not sure if that will happen yet. I'm considering going the rescue route. I would still get a younger a dog, between 9 months to 2 years. Personally, I think a rescue BC would be a better choice for me.

Now, I don't mean in this in a bad way, nor does this mean I cant handle, or that I am not ready for a puppy. It could be true. I just don't know. I do plan on meeting a lot of BC's before I get, to see if they are right for me.

And what do you mean by "but not so many really, really want to be a part of your life in the same way?

I fostered during college and we had a few college kids foster for the rescue group I used to be involved in. It can work out great. There's one rub: Summer vacations and other school breaks, and housing.

Obviously you need housing to allow you to do it. You also need to make sure that the rescue group knows what the deal is re: breaks. A lot of the college fosters for our group were... respite fosters. Basically they took on fosters for short term situations like the other foster family going on vacation, or when we needed somewhere to put a dog for a week or two until their forever family could pick them up and the like.

Just be clear, but it can be a great experience and a great help, without the commitment.

Thank you.

I'd love to foster. I'm highly considering doing it, but, I'm afraid it won't work out, because of money, space,& the time I'll have.

I would like to foster a BC before I fully commit to owning one. Because even if I meet one, it won't be for that long. I could get the feel for the breed & I get to help dogs find forever homes.

You can also just volunteer too. I used to go in college and help out a few times a week at the local shelter. A lot is cleaning kennels but also walking, taking photos, if you were there long enough you could help counsel adoptions, take animals to adoption events, etc.

All though this isn't working at kennel, theres the potential of working at dog daycare, which would be a awesome experience.

Hopefully, I'll start volunteer at my local humane society . Don't know yet because of some personal reasons.

1. I've heard that some lines can have DA or are DR. How true is this? What "lines" do these traits appear more in?

DA, & DR are something that I would really like to avoid. Especially since this will be my first dog

DA = Dog aggressive. DR is ... dog reactive?

Honestly, I don't know that it's a thing that can be pinned down to lines. It's very common in border collies (reactivity, not necessarily outright aggression) and in fact herders in general. They're made to react to and control motion. That can lead to overstimulation and frustration around other dogs, and it can also lead to other dogs REALLY not liking how they play/their mannerisms. They're not... dogs dogs, I guess is what I'm saying, or happy go lucky anything goes when it comes to dogs they don't share a household with.

I'm not saying they all do it, but it's a common enough trait that I'd expect it to be something that you need to work with and on, unless you have an adult dog with a known temperament.

And responding to something else you said:

And what do you mean by "but not so many really, really want to be a part of your life in the same way?

My example above - my dogs are all shades of velcro. There's not an independent one in the bunch. The one who is LEAST likely to want to touch me is Molly. She's not into physical contact. She wants to help, to be active, to engage with me, but that doesn't not include much in the way of snuggles or pets, and she will ABSOLUTELY go find something to do for herself if I'm not doing it for her.

My other dogs mostly just want to touch me. If I stop being interesting, they curl up beside me and go to sleep. If I stop being interesting Molly? Goes and flushes the toilet a dozen times in the bathroom, or throws a stick for herself. I go to sleep, the other dogs - even the big GSD mix - pile into bed with me. Molly goes and sleeps in her crate - door open, of her own decision. She only sleeps with me in the morning for a little bit, and if it's cold.

She wants to DO with me, she doesn't just want to BE with me.