BC Boards

Bar J Ranch in Arizona a reputable breeder?

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Charging more for a bitch than a dog is quite common in the UK. I wouldn't be surprised if a working breeder did the same, and why not if the preference for bitches attracts a premium? Breeders are in business, not charities.

Minor variations in price due to gender are not unheard of among responsible breeders. Widely varying prices due to gender or cosmetic reasons (like color) are often a clue that the breeder is not breeding for the true working market but rather for those who either want to produce pups and sell them, too, or those who are attracted to the cosmetic aspects and not the value of a real working prospect.

JMO.

Even dogs who were born on the same day, and so presumably from the same litter, were priced differentially. I couldn't see anything obvious as to why that would be because dogs of the same gender had different prices as well.

J.

That I do find odd. Red male pup born Dec 10th, priced at $1250. Black male pup, same litter, priced at $750. One black tri male born Dec 9, priced at $1000. Another tri male pup, same litter, priced at $1500. Very random pricing!

Hard to tell much about the pups in the videos, as his sheep are so dull and he has to keep shushing the pups to move them - when they're not biting them.

~ Gloria

Red = rare? Red = more dollars?

One tri = common or less flashy? Other tri = less common or more flashy, and more dollars?

People who pay more for "color" are branding themselves as ignorant but maybe that's this breeder's market.

Since these pups are all over 7 months old is it possible it's based on working potential. i.e. keener pups commanding a higher price in his view?

Given that the 16 month old red merle female, Rita, was advertized as having "an interest in stock but we have not started her" and listed for $2,000 that seems like a bit of a stretch to believe, but it's the only reasonable explanation of his pricing system, in addition to color, that I can come up with.

Do dogs that are bred for working cattle bring more than dogs bred primarily for working sheep?

Just an aside. I think red dogs are more acceptable in the cattle dog crowd than they are in the sheep crowd. Anyway I think that is what one of our cattle dog people here said.

One of my customers has 2 golden retrievers. One, I think, is an AKC dog. The other was bred by a man who breeds working retrievers but he sells to a lot of non-working people simply because can get a better price.

So I don't know if you could really fault someone who breeds good working dogs but charges more for the odd off color just because he/she can. That's just the way it is out there in the business world.

Do true working breeders actually advertise the dogs they have for sale with a price tag?

Isn't striking a deal based on the dog at hand and the prospective buyer more common?

I don't think "true working breeders" and their approaches to business practices (at least in the US) are any more homogeneous than people in any other type of trade.

• 2 weeks later...

Do dogs that are bred for working cattle bring more than dogs bred primarily for working sheep?

My sheep bred dog was more than my cattle bred dog, but I don't think that was a factor in either breeder's prices. They were both farm bred. One breeder thought she had gold and the other thought she had nice working pups. They priced accordingly. If I had bought from the second one first, I never would have bought from the first, but the first dog is the nicer to live with, so I'm glad I did what I did.

• 2 months later...

UPDATE: Got my ABCA papers back on my dog finally.

Though I'm not Border Collie expert, it looks like she has great breeding on her dad's side and more of a backyard/barbie collie line on her mom's.

The Sire is Sky and Dam is Red Hot Flair.

Sky's father is Bill, owned by Pete Carmichael and bred by Juan Reyes, and his mother is Kate, owned by Kate Palmer and bred by Pete Carmichael. Those dogs come from Juan Reyes Red and Tip, and Carmichael's Luke and Hooker, respectively.

All cattle dogs, some good bloodlines there.

Then we get to the mother's side.

Red Hot Flair is my dog's mom. She has no working history. I think she was bought because she was a red merle, though none of the pups were red. She was a sweet dog, though.

Red Hot Flair comes from Spur Bar Doc and 2t Eye Shadow from Wendy Koubek and her kennels, which look more like barbie collies to me than true stockdogs. And they were out of more Koubek bred dogs except one named Top Hand Magie bred by Eddie Sharp, though when I looked him up he seems to only breed Kelpies.

Not knowing much about pedigrees, how would say my pup's pedigree looks? I can try and take a photo of it if that's not enough info. I'm going to see if I can get her around some sheep soon to really tell. I'm just curious if she's really more of a barbie collie than a dog from working lines, or if the good half of her pedigree can compensate for the not so impressive side.

What lousy reasons for breeding her. :wacko:

I agree, especially when her dad comes from strong lines and is supposedly a good work dog. Seems odd to go to lengths to get a stud dog from really good lines to throw in with an untested dam. Oh, well. Too late for me to do anything about it. I'll see how she likes sheep in about a month. She's already everything I wanted in a dog. If she's into herding, I'll take that up with her. If not, no biggee.

Funny thing is I just go back from a company bbq and she was the hit of the place, playing frisbee with the little kids and doing tricks. A friend asked about the breeder and I told him to stay away.

>>Funny thing is I just go back from a company bbq and she was the hit of the place, playing frisbee with the little kids and doing tricks. A friend asked about the breeder and I told him to stay away.<<

Good move. I tell people Quinn was the absolute right dog for me from the absolute wrong breeder.

Totally agree about telling people to stay away from breedings like that.

I don't have a clue who bred Bodhi, as he's a rescue who was picked up as a stray. But he didn't seem to have much interest in sheep the one time he was taken to them (not long after he was adopted and still recovering from being pretty shut down), so I'm always telling people that despite what a great dog he is, he's a lousy border collie.

My pup tends to run out ahead of me in a circular pattern sometimes over a hundred yards, then turn around and flop down and watch me. She always does this when I let her off leash. Is that signs of a good natural outrun?

It looks like my file is too big to download here. I'll see if a link to my drive works for people.

https://portal.nextivadrive.com/Product/File/Home.aspx?sid=2174b582-0e3d-491c-a235-94f853ab0de1&ref=file#&&7Z2zqTcGiWX0Q93HOa6YmPwgzhfQpniFP/8b/tKaA9oPBuLqIj5RMSsiTzP3C3ybFK9uPnuuxPH5a0vkY8Pjuajn1zX2WqRUfa/VdkMTcSAZtM6eDTbjl671Q+fuqBDJ