BC Boards

Sheepdog Finals, Double Lift results!

Gloria Atwater

And results are in! Magnificent work by all. Every person and dog on that field are winners, in my book. :rolleyes:

FINALS, DOUBLE LIFT, SUNDAY,

HANDLER - DOG GATHER - SCORE

1 Shannahan, Pat - Riggs 122 - 530

2 Wilson, Tom - Sly 123 - 505

3 MacRae, Alasdair - Nap 162 - 439

4 Schmaltz, Wendy - Gin 196 - 422

5 Glen, Scott - Maid 192 - 405

6 Luedecke, Emil - Spot 171 - 354

7 Milliken, Amanda - Roz 156 - 347

8 French, Robin - Bill 163 - 339

9 Burch, Larry - Dot 186 - 337

10 Cunningham, Lori - Matt 216 - 301

11 Bailey, Debbie - Huck 284 - 155

12 Enzeroth, Ron - Dusty 263 - 137

13 Boyce, Dawn - Tink 110 - rt

14 Forrester, Tom - Pete 327 - rt

15 Nieder, Libby - Lyn 339 - rt

16 Glen, Scott - Don 169 - dq

17 Berhow, Bill - Mike 175 - dq

And results are in! Magnificent work by all. Every person and dog on that field are winners, in my book. :rolleyes:

FINALS, DOUBLE LIFT, SUNDAY,

HANDLER - DOG GATHER - SCORE

1 Shannahan, Pat - Riggs 122 - 530

2 Wilson, Tom - Sly 123 - 505

3 MacRae, Alasdair - Nap 162 - 439

4 Schmaltz, Wendy - Gin 196 - 422

5 Glen, Scott - Maid 192 - 405

6 Luedecke, Emil - Spot 171 - 354

7 Milliken, Amanda - Roz 156 - 347

8 French, Robin - Bill 163 - 339

9 Burch, Larry - Dot 186 - 337

10 Cunningham, Lori - Matt 216 - 301

11 Bailey, Debbie - Huck 284 - 155

12 Enzeroth, Ron - Dusty 263 - 137

13 Boyce, Dawn - Tink 110 - rt

14 Forrester, Tom - Pete 327 - rt

15 Nieder, Libby - Lyn 339 - rt

16 Glen, Scott - Don 169 - dq

17 Berhow, Bill - Mike 175 - dq

What does the rt mean?

RT = retire It means the handler left the post, ending his/her run. In this case, the judges excused the handler (technically a DQ) when it was clear that the dog wasn't going to turn back to get the second set of sheep. The DQs listed in the scores for the final 17 were for the dogs who gripped.

To clarify, normally a retire is when a handler chooses to end a run, usually because it's going badly, and a DQ is when the handler is excused because of something having happened that is a disqualifiable "offense." So the use of RT in this situation (the final go-round of the national finals) is not the standard way the scores are reported for most trials (i.e., all the nonscores in the final 17 were technically DQs because in each case the handler was excused by the judges).

J.

Hooray for all!

I have to confess having had a crush on Riggs ever since Dave ("Red Russel") posted that video of him at the Blowing Dirt SDT. What a lovely run, then and yesterday! And, as an aside (and not that it would matter to everyone, but to me a dog's personality is important), I noticed how confident and friendly his demeanor was when the dogs and handlers were all being introduced half-way during the day. His body language was shouting "Hail fellow well met!!"

Does anyone know when the list of awards is going to be posted? (not the final order of finish). I'm rooting for Robin French's Bill (who I had the pleasure of meeting, briefly, between runs) for "Best Young Dog", but I couldn't stick around yesterday for the awards ceremony. It wasn't on the USBCHA or the Nationals website last I looked.

I won't be able to post any photos for a few days - too much work!

(ETA: not that posting photos is too much work - it's the darned day job that's getting in the way)

As for RT vs DQ, this (from Stockdog Gems) sums it up with humor: The only difference between an RT and a DQ is who says thank you first. You can get that on a key ring from them. I almost did...

Robin: rats. I think I told you that my sister-in-law had tears in her eyes when I told her how well Bill had done in Open. Well, we're looking for great things from Bill (and Zac!) next year, and for many years to come!

Sue, loved the saying about DQ vs RT - I'll try to remember that the next time someone asks me! It was a pleasure meeting you, however briefly, yesterday!

Is the Gather the same as the OLF? How many total points are available for the gather on Sundays double lift??

Cindy (obviously a novice) in FL

Yep. points off. I was pretty proud of Zac and Bill each only losing 8 points on their gathers in the first round. That's the total lost with both judges added together

Is the Gather the same as the OLF? How many total points are available for the gather on Sundays double lift??

Cindy (obviously a novice) in FL

The gather is outrun, lift, and fetch. On Sunday, each gather (1st and 2nd) was worth 50 points (outrun 20, lift 10, and fetch 20) for a total of 100 points (per judge), for a combined total of 400 points. Then the drive was 40 points, International shed was 20 points, and pen 10 points (per judge) for a "grand" total of 680 possible points.

Qualifying runs were pointed at outrun 20, lift 10, fetch 20, drive 30, split 10, pen 10, and single 10 (per judge) for a "grand" total of 220 possible points. Nursery runs were similar but without split and single for a "grand" total of 180 possible points.

Hello everyone,

Thanks, Sue, for explaining the "gather" and for the point breakdown for the runs at the Finals. As Sue wrote, the gather is the combined outrun, lift, and fetch, and is also called the "outwork". At some trials, there can be a "silent gather", in which the handler may not command the dog in any way. The use of "OLF" seems to be a recent term for the gather and is often used by those coming to sheepdog trialing from other venues.

Regards,

nancy

Archived