• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 borderlicious

borderlicious

Feel the love!

• Registered Users
  • 888 posts

Posted 13 May 2007 - 05:59 PM

We did well! Okay, Eve did well and I managed to hold myself together. At least I didn't fall on my butt. Speaking of which, a lot of these photos are cropped because I don't want to show said posterior to the boards - so excuse the lack of stock in some of them. Also excuse the quality, my mom tagged along to take photos but doesn't do much more than point and shoot.

Eve waiting to goooooo:

Posted Image

She was in "whee" mode at first, going 100 miles per minute, scaring the crap out of me and making the goats run - surprisingly, she was just trying to bring them to me... at 100 miles per minute. ack. My knees are bruised from the goats slamming me every time Eve brought them around at warp speed.

Posted Image

Posted Image

She slowed down (well, not slow, but to the point where she was no longer a black blur) and worked quite nicely after that. I felt really comfortable with her... surprised me a bit, I expected it to be hellish.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

The trainer agreed to work her for me so I could get a picture, and of course none of mine turned out. This was the best I got. :rolleyes:

Posted Image
Grace and Eve, SD

#2 borderlicious

borderlicious

Feel the love!

• Registered Users
  • 888 posts

Posted 13 May 2007 - 06:03 PM

Pup cooling off:

Posted Image

Random dogs ---

Dazzle and Billy:

Posted Image

Dazzle:

Posted Image

Fiona

Posted Image

Spur

Posted Image

And PJ

Posted Image
Grace and Eve, SD

#3 Maizy

Maizy

• Registered Users
  • 278 posts

Posted 13 May 2007 - 07:42 PM

Wow - she looks great. Man I love those pups!!!!
Rachel Brassine
Keegan & Tess
Maizy, Amos & Sophie - the cats

Posted Image

#4 Liz P

Liz P

optimistic realist

• Registered Users
  • 5,230 posts

Posted 13 May 2007 - 09:51 PM

Frankie and Sage are cheering for sister Eve! They like to go full speed too because it's so much more fun :rolleyes: Why walk when you can RUN!

#5 Kat's Dogs

Kat's Dogs

:-)

• Registered Users
  • 3,886 posts
  • Interests:working dogs, behavior analysis, and veterinary medicine

Posted 13 May 2007 - 10:10 PM

I like this one!!
She looks so happy! And she can fly! :D

Posted Image

Good job pup!

ETA: I see her rough coat is growing out on her ruff and tail - she looks beautiful. :rolleyes:

Kat & the dogs:
Peanut EAC, EJC, S-NCC, JHB, CGC (13 years, Shih Tzu)
NATCH, Vers-NATCH Dazzle GM, AAD, AR, S-EAC, O-EJC, S-ECC, S-TN-E, S-WV-E, S-TG-E, HP-E, TNE-400, RV-N, GV-N, CL3-R, CL3-S, CL3-H, JHB, CGC (9 years, Border Collie)
Kova RS-N, JS-O, GS-N, SJ, SS, NAC, NJC, NCC, WV-N (2 years, Golden Retriever)
dogs-joined_zpsdcb22738.gif

#6 Allie Oop

Allie Oop

• Registered Users
  • 3,391 posts

Posted 13 May 2007 - 11:13 PM

Neat pictures! Wow, she sure has grown up. I like them all.
Deb, Allie & Rusty

Walkies (aka "Taking a Constitutional")
A Blog

2011 Western Border Collie Rescue Calendars - Available Now!

Posted Image

Help Border Collies in Need - Order Yours Now!

#7 borderlicious

borderlicious

Feel the love!

• Registered Users
  • 888 posts

Posted 13 May 2007 - 11:21 PM

I didn't know Frankie and Sage have been on sheep! How have they been doing?

Kat, yup! She's getting a lovely coat, I think she'll be very refined and elegant looking once she grows out of the gawky stage. Even with the crazy ears and legs, I think she's a gorgeous puppy -- not that I'm biased or anything. :rolleyes:
Grace and Eve, SD

#8 PSmitty

PSmitty

• Registered Users
  • 9,202 posts

Posted 14 May 2007 - 01:59 PM

You're right, she is a gorgeous puppy! And she looks really good out there with the stock! Please keep the training pics coming, they're great.

Paula
Lilly, Jack, Alex , Will & Slider

#9 hoku's mum

hoku's mum

Live Aloha

• Registered Users
  • 1,351 posts
  • Interests:Dogs, gardens, hiking, all things creative

Posted 14 May 2007 - 02:16 PM

Eve looks great! She looks focused and just having a ball. Thanks for the pics of your beautiful pup! It's so cool that your putting her on stock.
Kristin, Hoku and Gussy

#10 MrSnappy

MrSnappy

I have nothing better to do than take photos all day. zzzzzz

• Registered Users
  • 5,969 posts

Posted 14 May 2007 - 03:13 PM

She looks fantastic! What a cutie. Can I have her?

RDM
That'll Do Border Collie Rescue-Vancouver, BC Canada
Posted ImageTDBCR - "Where every dog is a Star"
TDBCR / 3 Woofs & A WooTWoo / Big Air Photography

#11 Moss

Moss

• Registered Users
  • 369 posts

Posted 14 May 2007 - 03:31 PM

Great pictures. Eve looks to be doing really well. More training pics please :rolleyes:
Kirsty, Scotland

#12 airbear

airbear

Talk to the paw

• Registered Users
  • 2,543 posts

Posted 14 May 2007 - 05:31 PM

Very very nice! How do goats work, compared to sheep? Are they more flighty? And how do you keep your dogs' pads from burning on that gravel? My tenderfoots would have no feet left - must be a hardy Arizona thing.

Also, if we are taking orders, please send me both Eve and Fiona. I am sure I have room for both. :rolleyes:

Kristi
Rex and Bar
Bear, Wick and Lou - forever in my heart
Our Photo Blog

The future belongs to those who believe in the beauty of their dreams - Eleanor Roosevelt

#13 hsnrs

hsnrs

• Registered Users
  • 810 posts

Posted 14 May 2007 - 10:52 PM

Really neat pictures! Was it hot? Saw Dazzle work once; she was good. Is Fiona a BC or McNab? Looks like you all were really having fun. N

#14 Liz P

Liz P

optimistic realist

• Registered Users
  • 5,230 posts

Posted 14 May 2007 - 11:28 PM

On sheep? LOL, yes, a few times. I was farm sitting and they tested every last inch of the fence around the pasture. They discovered holes and weak spots the farm owner had no idea were there :rolleyes: Frankie even managed to climb over a wall in the barn one time to get to them while I was putting out hay. Mr. Frankie No No was a monster, as I expected, and dove right in. The lead ewe challenged him and he gripped her on the nose then hung onto her side while she sprinted across the field. Sage is more of a thinker and doesn't go quite as fast, though he is also a bit of a hellion too and antagonized the lead ewe (who is quite nasty with dogs) and also got her on the nose. Needless to say, both pups are ON and desperate to work the woollies. I need to get them on some knee knockers so we can do some real training. I may have to dig out my 35mm camera since my digital only takes blurry action shots.

Here are the most recent pics of them
http://www.bordercol...showtopic=10923

#15 borderlicious

borderlicious

Feel the love!

• Registered Users
  • 888 posts

Posted 15 May 2007 - 12:13 AM

MY puppy! My dad is getting another border collie pup in a couple months, you guys are welcome to have that one. :rolleyes:

Narita,

It was nice when we got there at 7am, but by the time all the mock trial runs were done (about 11am) it was pushing 95 degrees. Eve handled the heat much better than I did but I still didn't want to let her work for more than 3-4 minutes at a time.

Kristi,

The ground is quite warm, I can usually feel it through my tennis shoes. As for the dog's tolerance, I think it's a combination of the dog developing tough feet and having tight, hard feet to begin with. Eve was okay with it as long as she kept moving, but when she wasn't working she found some shade to stand in. I've found that their pads don't heat up a lot, it's the skin between the pads that gets painful when it makes contact with the ground. Eve has fairly tight feet and shorter toes than my other dogs so she is more tolerant of it than they are.

The goats... Well, they're odd. I really can't compare them to sheep much because the only sheep I've worked have been in a large (50-60+) flock or have been dog-broke but in small numbers. I can say that the goats I've had experience with seem to handle a lot like cattle. Sometimes they kick up their heels and take off and sometimes it's not easy at all to get them to move. These goats were pretty dog-broke so they'd get up and move when they saw Eve coming, but I worked another dog on some undogged goats and they were either super flighty or stubborn as hell. Hard to compare them to sheep, but they really reminded me of my cattle -- and I have no idea how cattle compare to sheep.
Grace and Eve, SD

#16 Maralynn

Maralynn

• Registered Users
  • 5,468 posts

Posted 15 May 2007 - 08:21 AM

Eve is beautiful! I think she'd like to come work sheep in Michigan where it's not so hot... :rolleyes:

Mara
Kenzi & Kolt

Kipp, my little dude 2004-2014
Missy, my good girl 1999-2011

K9 Knitter blog

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Copyright: All posts and images on this site are protected by copyright, and may not be reproduced or distributed in any way without permission. Banner photo courtesy of Denise Wall, 2009 CDWall. For further information, contact info@bordercollie.org.