BC Boards

? of puppymill rescue temperment problem

One of my customers just got a new rescue - cavalier King Charles. She was told that the dog had been a breeder dog in a puppy mill/backyard breeder with lots of dogs. She is supposed to be 2 year's old. And she spend 6 months in a foster home with other CKC. I don't think she interacted much with the other dogs in the foster home.

I have never seen such a passive, placid 2 year old dog in my life. She sleeps up on the sofa cushions. And that is pretty much it.

She seems healthy and was just at the vet. I know CKC have mucho heart problems but the vet didn't way anything about it.

When I get there at noon to get the dogs out she is always on the sofa cushions. I pick her up and carry her outside where she kind of wanders around for a while. Then she goes back inside and gets her cookie. And then she goes back up on the sofa.

She is very sweet tempered and loves to be held and will just stay there forever. It's kind of like there is just nobody home.

Is this behavior common in puppy mill dogs? From being in a cage most of her life? Will she get better?

One of the problems with rescues from puppy mills is that in the end you have a puppy mill dog along with all of their problems.

She is very sweet tempered and loves to be held and will just stay there forever. It's kind of like there is just nobody home.

Is this behavior common in puppy mill dogs? From being in a cage most of her life? Will she get better?

One of the problems with rescues from puppy mills is that in the end you have a puppy mill dog along with all of their problems.

Firstly, if your reference baseline is a border collie, quite a few breeds, and especially lap dog breeds, will seem a bit "not there". They weren't bred for their smarts.

Secondly, I do think that there is something in your description that reminds me of my foster Taff half ear. When he first came to me, he was passive. He didn't know how to react and respond, so he just sat there. Kelso (from the same puppy mill situation) was better described as catatonic. Both dogs learned how to be normal happy dogs and were eventually adopted. Taff half ear took 6 months to adjust to normal life. Kelso took a year and a half, I believe.

Thank you. I feel better now. This dog is in a great home with a woman who will really care for her. The other Cav in the house is very active. But she seems to get along with other 2 small dogs just fine. She did a really cute little haoppy dance for me the other day - she is very sweet but just so passive.

I believe my shelter dog (BC) was primarily kept in a cage before he was found running with two other dogs (another BC and a ACD). Upon coming to our house, he immediately planted himself on the couch and became the resident "couch potato." It was his safe spot that he could watch the world from, and still feel secure. It was months before he allowed himself to get off the couch and slowly join the rest of the world. It has been a year and a half. He has now found his place in the pack, joins in and plays, and although he is still a work in progress, he does not need the security of the couch anymore. So....I believe it will come. :) I have attached a picture of Rusty on his "safe sofa" a month after we got him.

post-9048-0-37952300-1364869938_thumb.jpg

• 1 month later...

In my experience, puppy mill dogs just dont have much of a personality when they are first liberated. Not all mind you but the ones I come in contact with. Sometimes it takes a good year to finally see the dogs true self emerge. Its so rewarding to watch a still, sad and unsure dog come into his own and gain confidence, joy and trust.

Best wishes

She's getting better and better. Some days she meets me at the door and then just runs on outside all by herself. And she is starting to develop a personality - a really sweet one. She really is the sweetist little dog. I have gotten her to play with me a couple of times. She's got a great owner who spends a lot of time with her.

I don't think she hears very well. But that's not a big deal.

• 7 months later...

As one who also rescued a severely abused/neglected adult puppy mill dog, all I can say is to give her lots and lots of time. Don't push her too fast. I am certain that she will come around with lots of patience, love, consistency, structure and space. Let time heal her emotional wounds. She has to learn to trust & love again and that can take lots of time (check out our puppy mill rescue dog...patience and time has done wonders for him!). I hope the same for you and your doggie. Best wishes....

PS Our puppy mill rescue dog was basically a big "lump" on the floor for quite some time (months actually). He would not move or even look at me. He played "dead" most of the time. Now he's awesome!! (Still very shy with strangers but he gets better and better each day). He always surprises us with his new found confidence. It is a wonderful experience! Hang in there!

I had a Sheltie who was a p m dog. She sat in the middle of the livingroom floor for weeks with no reaction to anything - nada, zip. Until my husband got the flu and felt the need of something to cuddle. So he bundled her off to his bed, put her in next to him and stayed that way for three days. Bingo! she fell in love and cuddled him right back. She was never a normal outgoing dog but she for sure knew she had a family, she was happy and we loved each other till she passed at 16. Yes to hanging in!