BC Boards

Humping problem?

It's not Black Jack doing it :D It a golden/lab at the humane society I work at. He came in a week ago as a found dog. Well he's ours now, and fixed. But he's in a kennel with a BIG black lab. All he does all day is hump him. Brutus (the balck lab) is getting tired of it. Now he just looks back at him while he's going at it like "come on already, get off" :D

It doesn't matter what kennel he's in either. What ever dog is there is fine for him :rolleyes:

What can I do as far as training him to quit? We need to do something or he probably won't get adopted anytime soon. I have never had to deal with this before. I need help!!

Actually, humping generally means two things.

Some dogs (most) do it for dominance reasons.

Though, I have actually heard some dogs incorporate it into play. However for this particular case it seems slightly obsessive and stresful for the other dogs. I would say keep him on his own, but I know in a lot of shelters that's not an option...

Lots of dogs around here definitely hump during play. I've seen a daisy chain of humping when a big group of dogs was wrestling... and none of the humpers/humpees seemed particularly irritated by it. My dog will not tolerate humping in any form except from a very close friend, who fake-humps a bit to get Buddy irritated enough to start chasing him around the field.

The shelter dog does sound like he's neurotic about it, though - I wonder if it's a stress reaction, and the stress of the shelter is throwing him into overdrive? Or maybe it's the reason he was brought in? This article seems to focus on humping as the behavior of an emotionally overwhelmed dog:

http://www.petsalley.com/newsdoghumping.html

Good luck!

Mary

That was a really good article, Mary. I had a female that used to do that with females AND males. She was spayed and I think that was just her way of playing, although she did dominate my little pack. She was the "Queen" of 6 and no one seemed to mind.

I'm sure once this little guy gets his new home, the humping will stop.