Photo

smart little rescue pup - "Roux" BC/husky mix? Guesses?

mix rescue puppy husky training

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 RachelMZE

RachelMZE

• Registered Users
  • 3 posts

Posted 09 December 2015 - 06:46 PM

Hi BC Boards,

I just rescued this little pup - pretty sure he's a border collie/husky mix, but would love your opinion! I've been following the boards for a few months in anticipation of finding that perfect pup. & .... Found him!

Background:

This is his fourth (!) and final home in 5 months, and my first puppy (!). When I found him he had fleas, a UTI, broken canine (fortunately just puppy tooth), fear of crates, would wet himself constantly and owners who claimed he only knew "sit" and not even his name...  but he had that look in his eye of a smart pup, and I knew his potential. ;) :) Within a week (and a lot of work!) he was cleaned up, healthy, mostly house-trained, walks nicely on a leash, sleeps next to the cat (with supervision), and knows at least 15 commands. He even picked a name for himself that gets nearly perfect recall - "Roux" ('roo' ... means redhead in French... probably sounds a bit like a howl in his ears).  We'll be taking him to a sheepherding introduction class here in Southern California at the end of the month.

I'm a former animal behaviorist and dog trainer turned scientist, and waited 10 years (!! 10 years!!) to adopt a pup of my own. I am so excited. !  As a distance runner, I am very, very happy to have a dog that can keep up (he seems to have husky endurance and endless BC zippy energy). I'm also hoping to train him on nose work.

Anyone want to throw out guesses as to his background? Former owner said pure BC / pure Siberian husky. I would agree based on behavior.

BC traits: Coat seems definite BC with white patch on neck, soft ears, flowy tail. Keen eye, fetches/herds anything I throw back to me quick-as-a-whip, sometimes drops flat before going into herding mode, maintains eye contact and listens with ears back. Responds best to whistles. Learns a task within a few repititions, responds well to food or praise reward.

Husky traits: affectionate/cuddly in that husky-way, tries for alpha, loves other dogs (tries for alpha there too), curled tail and definite husky face with that ridiculous husky goofy grin. Also gets bored once he learns a task as if to say "ok, sure, sure... but WHY?! ... neeeeext!"

He also nips at moving objects (including joggers, cyclists :( ) and sometimes defaults to jumping up on newcomers if not reminded to sit. Working on that.

Those spotted feet have me thinking he might also be an australian shepard mix, any ideas on how to know if he's BC or shepard?  People also guess heeler.  What do you all think?

Attached Files

#2 rufftie

rufftie

• Registered Users
  • 608 posts
  • Interests:dogs, agility, herding, water gardens and koi, gardening, keeping below the radar.

Posted 09 December 2015 - 06:52 PM

I see all border collie and quite the cutie! good luck and happy partnership!

#3 gcv-border

gcv-border

• Registered Users
  • 4,492 posts

Posted 09 December 2015 - 07:32 PM

Welcome to the Boards. Adorable pup. I am partial to the reds. (I have a red tri.)

I am not seeing husky, but he is still young. If you told me he was BC or BC/Aussie, I wouldn't argue. Most advice is to wait until they are older for a better guess (and don't waste your money on DNA tests which can be laughably unreliable).

Re: running. Expert advice is to wait until the growth plates are closed (definitely over a year, closer to 18 months) before engaging in any repetitive activity. There have been quite a few past threads about appropriate exercise for pups. The Search function is at the top right of the page.

You may want to join a FB group call Canine Conditioning and Body Awareness. Posts are so-so. The value lies in the Files section. Awesome.

Thanks for rescuing this cute pup.  Name??

Jovi

"Folks will know how large your soul is by the way you treat a dog."  Charles F. Duran

#4 mbc1963

mbc1963

"Border Collie/Terrier Mix" Don't judge me.

• Registered Users
  • 2,754 posts

Posted 09 December 2015 - 07:41 PM

I see BC, too... but things can change. :)
Charlie Brown, Baby Daddy to the Merrimack Valley, 1970 - 1977
Dusty, Sweet, Soft, Fat, Brindled Girl, 1977-1989
Shamokin, Biggy Baby, 1988 - 2002
Buddy, My Best Boy, 2003 - 2015

#5 GentleLake

GentleLake

• Registered Users
  • 5,583 posts

Posted 09 December 2015 - 08:03 PM

I don't see husky either, especially not a spitz-type double coat. But you say Roux's only 5 months old if I'm reading it right? Lots of characteristics can change in a pup that young (ask me how I know. LOL).

But yeah, definitely looks a lot like a border collie or at least a border collie mix at this point. And lots of border collies have that much ticking. Nothing necessarily Aussie about that, though I'd be more inclined to think Aussie than husky.

I have to wonder how the former owner is so sure he's half purebred border collie and half purebred husky if s/he was the third owner.

"People in your life always come and go all the time; the dogs are always there for me. Always." ~Samantha Valle

#6 kingfisher7151

kingfisher7151

• Registered Users
  • 736 posts

Posted 09 December 2015 - 10:08 PM

I see a whole lot of border collie and aussie, not much that says husky. But it's hard to tell at 5 months. Most aussies have the personality you described, and a curly tail!

Either way, good on you for taking on this poor pup!

#7 urge to herd

urge to herd

• Registered Users
  • 4,332 posts

Posted 09 December 2015 - 10:25 PM

I see lots of BC, too. I've seen pix of several border collies who have a ton of 'freckles'.  For the tightly curled tail - Gibbs' tail is almost a perfect circle when he's prancing around.

And the friendly, loving personality - my departed Buzz never met a human he didn't like love adore! Truly, he loved meeting new 'best friends' so much I turned it into a reward for giving me a sit, or a down, or something, before he dashed off to greet the sometimes befuddled humans.  There are a fair number of more timid bcs, but the outgoing personality does crop up pretty regularly.

I can safely state he's 100% cute, maybe even 110%. You'll know more about him as he matures. Enjoy the ride!

Ruth and Gibbs

#8 Beach BCs

Beach BCs

Life's A Beach!

• Registered Users
  • 921 posts

Posted 09 December 2015 - 10:44 PM

I see a really cute red Border Collie. :)
Kate

Georgia, Texas & Faith

#9 Liz P

Liz P

optimistic realist

• Registered Users
  • 5,234 posts

Posted 09 December 2015 - 10:48 PM

I'll join the others in seeing just a BC.  Not sure where the husky part comes in.

This is a purebred Border Collie.  (She is Juniper's great aunt, for those of you who know my dogs.)

Lunasitsnow7months.jpg

Luna1.jpg

#10 Maralynn

Maralynn

• Registered Users
  • 5,493 posts

Posted 10 December 2015 - 07:06 AM

A curled tail like this? (he's all Border Collie!)

Whatever he is he sounds like a fabulous pup - and pretty lucky to have ended up with you!

Mara
Kenzi & Kolt

Kipp, my little dude 2004-2014
Missy, my good girl 1999-2011

K9 Knitter blog

#11 waffles

waffles

• Registered Users
  • 1,093 posts

Posted 10 December 2015 - 07:58 AM

I could see husky in his round forehead and eyes but it's hard to tell by one still photo. I could guess Aussie / border collie too. The ticking on his legs isn't anything indicative of another breed as border collies can have ticking too. There are plenty of times when we would guess a dogs breed mix at the grooming shop, only to have the owners tell us something totally different than what we saw. And these were people who knew the mix. So anything is possible, a lot of dogs that look a lot like two breeds can end up being something else entirely.

#12 PSmitty

PSmitty

• Registered Users
  • 9,202 posts

Posted 10 December 2015 - 02:06 PM

He's so cute! All I see right now is BC, no husky at all. Would love to see more pics, especially standing and profile, although he's still young to try to guess.

I was going to say the same thing as Mara... when you say curled tailed, you mean like this? Mine is about 5-6 months old here and holds his tail like this a lot. I wouldn't use that as an indication of husky. :)

2rwu993.jpg

Congrats on your new puppy, he sounds wonderful!

Paula
Lilly, Jack, Alex , Will & Slider

#13 Gloria Atwater

Gloria Atwater

Talksalot

• Registered Users
  • 2,631 posts
  • Interests:Sheepdogging!

Posted 10 December 2015 - 02:30 PM

Oh, my gosh, what a cutie! It sure sounds like he came to the right home! Bless you for welcoming him and giving him a good life! :wub:

To look at, I would never guess he was anything but BC. The freckled feet mean nothing - lots of border collies have freckles and one lady I know lovingly refers to her line of dogs as "The Freckled Mafia" because the freckles are so common in her breeding and pass down through generations. Maybe, just maybe his muzzle could seem a bit husky-ish, but then some BC boys also have a heavier muzzle - witness my boy in my profile pic. And my Gael wears her tail curled up over her back when she's playing and/or excited, like a darned Shiba Inu. Thankfully it comes back down when she's working...

So, without watching him in person, I'll just say that he looks 100% adorable! Sounds like you've got an excellent handle on his training, too, so I hope you'll continue to share his progress with us.

Oh, and one can never post too many cute puppy pics. :D

~ Gloria

You ask of my companions. Hills, sir, and the sundown, and a dog as large as myself that my father bought me. They are better than human beings, because they know but do not tell. ~ Emily Dickinson

To sit with a dog on a hillside on a glorious afternoon is to be back in Eden, where doing nothing was not boring - it was peace. ~ Milan Kundera

#14 ShoresDog

ShoresDog

• Registered Users
  • 3,987 posts

Posted 10 December 2015 - 10:11 PM

What a darling pup!  And a lucky dog to have landed with you.  Sounds like you are very interested in his personality and development, and knowledgeable to boot.  Every rescue pup should be so lucky!

Those speckles are common in border collies, and his beautiful red coloring is also known among the tribe.  One thing that's nice about border collies is how varied their looks can be.  It all comes down to what's in their little noggins. 

Best wishes for a long and happy partnership!

Jan & Daisy & Juno & Star
LJ Shores, San Diego CA

SHORESLIFEPHOTO

#15 TxMom

TxMom

• Registered Users
  • 277 posts

Posted 10 December 2015 - 10:40 PM

Whatever he is, he's awfully cute! I also have a puppy (five-ish months) who's at least part Border Collie and I'm enjoying the mystery of seeing what she grows into. Congrats, and may Roux have smooth sailing from here on out in his fourth and permanent home!

You can't take the sky from me.

#16 WickAndArtoo

WickAndArtoo

• Registered Users
  • 199 posts

Posted 11 December 2015 - 06:50 AM

What a cutie!! Our little monkey has a curly tail and ticking also :) I do see the round face that may or may not be husky. We have a Aussie mix and he has all those boisterous personality traits too. That is a beautiful little guy, I am so happy you found each other :)

#17 RachelMZE

RachelMZE

• Registered Users
  • 3 posts

Posted 15 December 2015 - 02:11 PM

Hi BC boards! Wow, what a fantastic and warm welcome! So many beautiful dogs!

Roux and I had a busy training week - and he's gone from a fabulous pup to an absolutely fantastic-fabulous pup.. doing well with all kinds of new trainings.

We don't run yet, in fact- I can't run right now either while I recover from a foot injury, so training a puppy is my primary activity for quite awhile.

Also - we're pretty certain he is pure husky/BC - he has a howl that sounds very husky, and the older he gets, the more husky his face and tail look. The previous owners took him from friends who couldn't handle the puppy energy, who in turn took him from friends who claim it was an on purpose breeding of a male husky to their BC.  :\ ah well, he's a great mutt and we're glad to give him a good home.

We'll be taking him to a sheepherding class Dec 26 - I'll let you know how he does!

Here's some more pictures!

Attached Files

#18 waffles

waffles

• Registered Users
  • 1,093 posts

Posted 15 December 2015 - 04:14 PM

Too freaking cute! I definitely see husky now in his eyes/face and ears. Looks a lot like the neighbors red and white husky. He looks quite happy to have found you.

#19 GentleLake

GentleLake

• Registered Users
  • 5,583 posts

Posted 15 December 2015 - 05:56 PM

His fur and even his head in these pics look more like he could be part husky than the first one.

This is why it's so hard to tell from pictures, especially only one, and at a very young age.

Whatever he is, he's going to be stunning.

"People in your life always come and go all the time; the dogs are always there for me. Always." ~Samantha Valle

#20 kingfisher7151

kingfisher7151

• Registered Users
  • 736 posts

Posted 15 December 2015 - 08:23 PM

Ah, I see more husky now! That sure is a powerful mix. He's beautiful, very rugged!

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: mix, rescue, puppy, husky, training

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Copyright: All posts and images on this site are protected by copyright, and may not be reproduced or distributed in any way without permission. Banner photo courtesy of Denise Wall, 2009 CDWall. For further information, contact info@bordercollie.org.