My former puppy!!

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#21 GentleLake

GentleLake

• Registered Users
  • 5,580 posts

Posted 07 November 2015 - 09:01 PM

I'm not Liz, but in my experience the males tend to fill out at about 3 years old.

And I think Rook is perhaps the most stunning dog I've ever seen. B)

"People in your life always come and go all the time; the dogs are always there for me. Always." ~Samantha Valle

#22 Liz P

Liz P

optimistic realist

• Registered Users
  • 5,234 posts

Posted 07 November 2015 - 09:23 PM

Yes, 2.5 to 3 years old in Border Collies for a male (closer to 2 yrs old for a female).   Their chests continue to get broader and they develop more muscling if kept in shape.

#23 Chan

Chan

• Registered Users
  • 204 posts

Posted 07 November 2015 - 10:01 PM

Thanks GentleLake! He is not your typical looking BC for sure  :)

Thanks Liz!  He will definitely be kept in shape.  It will be interesting to see him develop some more.

#24 Root Beer

Root Beer

I'm east bound, just watch ol' Bandit run!

• Registered Users
  • 7,529 posts

Posted 09 November 2015 - 08:12 AM

Yes, 2.5 to 3 years old in Border Collies for a male (closer to 2 yrs old for a female).   Their chests continue to get broader and they develop more muscling if kept in shape.

Bandit suddenly has a chest!!  He makes me think of a football player!!

Watching him develop has been fascinating!!  Suddenly, literally over the last month or so, he has really matured (physically - mentally he seems to have taken a few steps back, but in a way that is perfectly normal at his age).

Kristine
And Dean Dog, Tessa, and the Bandit
In Memory:  Sammie, Speedy, and Maddie

Tessa's Training Blog - Our Training and Experiences in Musical Freestyle, Agility, and Rally FrEe

Tessa+Snooker.JPG

#25 Tommy Coyote

Tommy Coyote

• Registered Users
  • 2,831 posts

Posted 09 November 2015 - 10:55 AM

Joey is just 2 now and he is still really long and skinny.  I feed him a whole cup of dog food more than the others and he still is skinny.  He also has really long legs so he can really, really run.

#26 gcv-border

gcv-border

• Registered Users
  • 4,492 posts

Posted 09 November 2015 - 12:55 PM

Yeah, I am waiting to see how Kiefer's chest fills out. He is still very, very lean. About 21" and 36/37 lbs. When I took him to the rehab vet [not because anything was wrong, but more for her to get her hands on him for a baseline and to see if she could detect anything that might be a concern.]. She called him Gumby, because he was so flexible. His joints could be manipulated much further than normal, but she said it could be due to his young age. She also commented on his skinny chest and said she would like to see a wider chest. I am hoping that as he matures his chest will broaden. [He's about 20 months old now.]

Interestingly, when he stands, he has a skinny-looking chest, but when sitting, his chest looks much broader.

Jovi

"Folks will know how large your soul is by the way you treat a dog."  Charles F. Duran

#27 Root Beer

Root Beer

I'm east bound, just watch ol' Bandit run!

• Registered Users
  • 7,529 posts

Posted 09 November 2015 - 01:54 PM

If he's anything like Bandit (and I know genetics can make for a wide variety even in brothers), one day it will just be there . . .

Kristine
And Dean Dog, Tessa, and the Bandit
In Memory:  Sammie, Speedy, and Maddie

Tessa's Training Blog - Our Training and Experiences in Musical Freestyle, Agility, and Rally FrEe

Tessa+Snooker.JPG

#28 Liz P

Liz P

optimistic realist

• Registered Users
  • 5,234 posts

Posted 09 November 2015 - 09:24 PM

Funny thing is that Juniper has more of a barrel shaped chest and Roy had a very masculine chest.  IOW, neither has a narrow chest.  I've known many relatives on both sides of the family tree.  Not a one is narrow.  One of these days, the pups' chests will spring out.  At least they should, based on genetics.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Copyright: All posts and images on this site are protected by copyright, and may not be reproduced or distributed in any way without permission. Banner photo courtesy of Denise Wall, 2009 CDWall. For further information, contact info@bordercollie.org.