BC Boards

How soon to run long distance?

An old track injury was bothering me last night so I decided to take Cerb out on the Mt bike. About 1/4 mile into his ""walk" he busted into a full on run and kept it up, with a just few rests, for the next 45 minutes. He's 6 months old... is that type of exercise OK?

Even after that run, he proceeded to wrestle with his buddies at the park for another 45 minutes. Perhaps I'm expecting too little?

Puppies that age should not be taken on any biking/running regimen at all. They should run around and play as they want, take for walks, play with toys, other dogs, etc. You need to wait until their growth plates are closed AND their muscles and ligaments have developed sufficient to suport their joints. The rule of thumb is about 18 months old for mid-size dogs and 2 years for large breeds. Otherwise you are looking at stressing joints, etc that is going to create problems for a dog that may not be apparent for a few years.

Even after that run, he proceeded to wrestle with his buddies at the park for another 45 minutes. Perhaps I'm expecting too little?

I would consider that way too long to run for a pup who is still growing. Also, not sure where you live but please be aware that over-heating and heat stroke can seem to hit out of the blue even in mild temperatures, especially if the humidity is high. But even in cold temps, I would not want a 6 month old running for 45 minutes. Not because he couldn't do it, have a great time and then go on and do more, but because of concerns about injury and long term, possibly life-long effects on his growing body. Just because these dogs can go all day, doesn't mean they should.

Thanks for the advice. I'll dial him back to walking. I misinterpreted his wanting to run and his being able to do so, for being ready to run. Up to this point it's been a couple of walks a day and roughhousing with his buds. Im glad I asked.

Thanks for the advice. I'll dial him back to walking. I misinterpreted his wanting to run and his being able to do so, for being ready to run. Up to this point it's been a couple of walks a day and roughhousing with his buds. Im glad I asked.

It certainly doesn't mean that he can't run around and be a dog. At that age, my pups are going for a walk out in the pasture or someplace, either with the other dogs or by themselves on a long line and running, sniffing, digging, but it is on their terms. Going running or biking isn't on their terms. I will go for an hour and for some of that time they are chasing the other dogs, running after a butterfly, or just walking around, sniffing etc. or rolling in something gross LOL

Archived