BC Boards

Water Intoxication

This is FoxyRoxy's mama this time - I was just reading up on some things for our new baby and came across this thread - husband didn't tell me he posted here. It's been enough time that I didn't cry reading my own story. Miss my sweetpea, what a tender heart she was, was told she could have been a therapy dog. Losing her was like losing a child because she was just young and innocent and so sweet and loving. But so happy to say we have a beautiful black and white darling, Raven, who is 3 months old, and we see no signs of the water fascination. She loves to jump in and even swim a little, all very normal dog stuff, none of the behaviors I realize were there with Roxy from the beginning - she was pouncing at her water in her water bowl early on. I wonder now how much of a difference it might make in terms of the genetics - "bad" programming setting her up for fixation maybe - since Roxy wasn't from a breeder. This time we did it "right" (my attitude before was, they are already born, someone is going to take them, and they need to be loved, so that someone may as well be us, because we love our dogs like crazy and give them a fun life of adventure and affection, but now I'm all about knowing the history if possible). We got Raven from a good breeder, fabulous pedigree, met the parents who are both gorgeous and amazing, and the family who raises the dogs is also fabulous. Raven is very balanced in all ways. And no hints of any water fixation. And so, I wonder about what we didn't know about Roxy's genetic background. But, as I see that this happens to BCs a lot in general, maybe she was just a really good little BC, doing her thing, being intense and exuberant and a little nuts. And oh, how I loved our first puppy love mutt who lived into her 16th year, but we are so converted to BCs now, like a whole different world (which sometimes drives me a little nuts ;)

I think it's always a combination of nature and nurture. I have a bunch of well-bred working dogs, and many of them love, love, love water. Hose games are a passion, and some like to get into stock tanks and splash. I think it's up to us humans to ensure moderation and to try to prevent any behavior from becoming an obsession. We may not always be successful in the prevention, but then we can still interrupt behaviors or not put our dogs in situations where they can practice those behaviors. What I'm trying to say is that while genetics certainly plays a part, that doesn't mean that a water-loving dog is poorly bred, and it's still up to us to prevent/control/mitigate those behaviors.

I'm glad you've got a new pup who brings you joy.

J.

Wow, I wish I would've seen these posts and had this information years ago. I didn't loose my pup but I had a big scare. He was 7 months old and VERY OCD about water. He wasn't even in the water for very long but at one point in time he went over backwards and went under water and must have swallowed a ton. We walked back to the car and he started acting very lethargic. He wouldn't sit or lay down. Just stood and groaned. I was sure he bloated and twisted something. I work for a vet so I called the one who was on call and was to meet him at the office. By the time I got there Logan's gum were pale and he was salivating and groaning. By the time the vet got there I had already started bloodwork, put in an IV catheter and started IV fluids at maintenance rate and took an x-ray. By the time the bloodwork was done the vet realized it was water toxicity and was figuring out a Lasix dose but Logan started peeing up a storm and looking better. He suffered no ill effects but even now at nine years of age I put a stopwatch on him when he is in the water. 5 minutes tops. He is just too crazy.