BC Boards

Anyone in Texas have it in their heart to adopt a border collie?

I have a friend that I adopted my Loki from near the Austin area who is in need of finding homes for her four other rescues.

Story...

She found a border collie wandering in her neighborhood last year and no owner would come forward. The animal shelter in the area said they would euthanize the dog since its overcrowded with strays in this particular area. My friend has a big heart and kept her but to her surprise she was actually pregnant. This lovely dog gave birth to my Loki and four other females who are now 11 months old. The mother and one of the pups are red tri color merles with excellent temperaments. Unfortunately the other two have the double merle gene...hearing is intact but eye sight is partial in one and blind in the other.

My friend is overwhelmed with many border collies and does not have the appropriate space...I would take more but I already have too many.

If anyone is interested feel free to message me on here and I can give you contact information.

Its going to take a special heart and maybe even some unique training for the double merles. If anyone knows of any good rescue groups who have the resources other than All Border Collie Rescue please refer me to them. :)

Thanks.

Pictures of the momma she is beautiful!

post-16800-0-07761300-1446945638_thumb.jpg

post-16800-0-09530000-1446945637_thumb.jpg

double merle 1

post-16800-0-29702900-1446945629_thumb.jpg

double merle 2

post-16800-0-13604400-1446945628_thumb.jpg

red tri color merle puppy

post-16800-0-90861400-1446945635_thumb.jpg

I would have suggested All Border Collie Rescue. Are they full and can not take any more dogs?

There is a Border Collie Rescue Texas, Inc. The only thing I know about them is through their webpage - which unfortunately doesn't look very promising.

Good Luck.

I would have suggested All Border Collie Rescue. Are they full and can not take any more dogs?

There is a Border Collie Rescue Texas, Inc. The only thing I know about them is through their webpage - which unfortunately doesn't look very promising.

Good Luck.

I may try them for the double merles. I'd hate to dump four dogs off on them since they got a lot of dogs last year during the holidays. :/ Feel like I'm doing my part by finding at least a few of them good homes.

Border Collie Rescue of Texas is, I believe, the group that took the Jefferson County dogs a few years ago.......some of you may remember that my Kelso foster dog was one of them. They were wonderful, and even set up a special online support group for those of us who were rehabilitating the shut-down dogs like Kelso. So unless I have the name wrong, please don't let an "unpromising" web page turn you off that rescue group.

Hi,

http://deafdogsrock.com

This group does a lot for deaf dogs, has a network of people who know a lot about them, and also keeps a very active Facebook presence. They might know of some resources or foster homes for the deaf ones until permanent homes can be found.

From what I was told they can hear...they just can't see. Their eyes are very pink...one looks like it doesn't even have eyes its so sad. She believes the one in the close up photo can see a little bit but the other puppy is completely blind so it just sits in one spot most of the time. Also since they were born the white dogs have been very small.

Have you looked at Border Collie Rescue & Rehab, based in Allen? http://bcrrt.com/ We were approved to adopt from both them and ABCR. ABCR wound up having the right dog at the right time, but both seemed like solid groups and were a pleasure to work with.

Wish I could offer more. :(

No I have never heard of them before. I'm going to get into contact with your group The double merles need some kind of rehab for sure with experienced trainers. Thank you for your help! :)

Border Collie Rescue of Texas is, I believe, the group that took the Jefferson County dogs a few years ago.......some of you may remember that my Kelso foster dog was one of them. They were wonderful, and even set up a special online support group for those of us who were rehabilitating the shut-down dogs like Kelso. So unless I have the name wrong, please don't let an "unpromising" web page turn you off that rescue group.

Thank you I will try contacting them as well! :)

For what it's worth, I don't know that it's a bad website issue so much as that they don't appear to be very active anymore. That's the perception I got when I checked their website as we were preparing to adopt, anyhow. In years past they seemed to have dogs moving through, but lately it looks like there's not a lot going on.