BC Boards

Shampoo?

I was wanting to know what kind of shampoo you guys use on your dogs? I don't want to take Black Jack to the groomers everytime he gets dirty, but I don't want to dry his skin out either with some cheap stuff. There's some that don't dry them out isn't there? We tried to find one that we could use on Sage but we never really found one that didn't dry her out.

I'm lucky with my groomer she's really great, nice to be around and has two BC's but I hate to spend $15 to $20 every other day to have him cleaned :rolleyes:

I use both Cloud Star Buddy Wash, and the Kenic products. The Buddy Wash is my favorite - all natural ingredients. My border collies get bathed at least once a year, whether they need it or not. Most of the time if they're dirty I either toss them in a crate for a few minutes or towel them off, and within a little while they're clean enough again.

My Carlie dog gets a bath once a week. She is a therapy dog and it is required that they have a bath before their visits. I don't use a specific brand but I do always make sure it is an oatmeal shampoo and I give fish oil by mouth every day to keep her skin and coat from drying out. Her coat is healthy, shiny and dandruff free.

Olivia

Because we go out on the beach every day, Daisy gets very sandy and salty. I don't like to leave the salt on her skin, and I don't like all the sand in my house, so I bathe her every day when we get home. But I only use shampoo once a week or even less often, and I use oatmeal shampoo.

My system is very efficient for me: In my garage, I have one of those large plastic storage tubs that you can get for cheap at Target. She goes in it and gets water poured over her head and back using an old wastebasket. Then she gets toweled off with dog towels, which are tatty old beach towels. I fill the tub with water from the garden hose. If it's really cold (like in Wyoming!) I add some hot water from indoors to warm it up some. But it doesn't have to be warm water like for people, just not ICY cold, and in fact I don't think I've had to warm it up at all yet this year. After all, Daisy happily goes in the ocean and sits there to cool off, and right now the water temperature is about 58 degrees. I change the tub water about every three rinse-offs. So, as you can see, it's a system that is much less cushy than a groomer. But it keeps Daisy very clean and her skin healthy. When I had her out at Anna's ranch, her fur was glow-in-the-dark white compared with the ranch dogs. It was kind of an embarassing brand, like "Look at me, I'm a city dog!"

Hope that helps.

I'd be very careful with shampoos , I had a terrible experience with a good organic expensive puppy product recommended by the best (...)and Tamyr got this tragic rash on her spine like boils ...took weeks to mend .

Most of the time water is enough , unless they've rolled in dead stuff of course :-(

When it is warm enough, I bring her home and hose her off with plain water, then towel her dry. She LOVES to be cuddled up in big beach towels. I use plain water as much as I can. When she does need a bath, I use Vet Solution Aloe Oatmeal shampoo and conditioner. If we are going through a super muddy period and she needs more frequent baths, I leave a little of the conditioner on to help mud roll right off of her. I have found that these dogs are very easy to keep clean and I'm lazy about brushing and fussing anyway so we're a good fit. :rolleyes: It is a constant thing though, she spends more time being muddy than not, I have found...

Polly hates baths but is game, we play with rubber duckie in the tub--and her favorite part is the hair dryer--loves this part and acts like a diva getting groomed. We use an upstairs bathtub so it turns into quite a production by the time we finish grooming/cleaning/washing of the towels. My dream house would have a dog shower in the garage or mudroom-- wouldn't that be cool?

Charlene

Based on our vet's recommendation, we use HyLyt dog shampoo during the cold season, or if conditions warrant that she really needs a bath. It is made by DVM Pharmaceuticals, and is a soap-free hypoallergenic pet shampoo for routine cleansing of normal, dry or sensitive skin. Annie's and Missy's fur and skin seem to respond well to the coconut oil it contains, and it leaves a nice smell that does not see to bother the dogs. During the summer, Annie gets clean by virtue of the fact that she loves to swim and chase balls in a freshwater stream, so bathing is usually unnecessary.

I don't wash my dog too often (last time was about 4 months ago :D -he might get one this weekend since we're going to the vet next week for his yearly shots), so I still have 3/4 of a bottle of Hartz Puppy (maybe "Tearless" - it's purple, that's all I remember ) shampoo we bought when we got him in December 2005. That says a lot about the frequency of his baths (which he hates, as well :rolleyes: )

Jake uses Earthbath, which works the best I've seen so far. He only gets bathed a couple times a year, though (and always during the warmer months, starting with icky spring and ending on the coldest day of summer, lol). Is it bad, though, that I use Jake's Earthbath on myself during winter? 'Cause that's what I've been using for the past few months and OMG, it works great! Now go ahead and make fun of me :rolleyes:

Is it bad, though, that I use Jake's Earthbath on myself during winter? 'Cause that's what I've been using for the past few months and OMG, it works great! Now go ahead and make fun of me :rolleyes:

Well, I'll freely admit that I've used Buddy Wash on my own hair. I ran out of shampoo one day and didn't realize it until I was soaked from head to toe... so I just snagged the Buddy Wash. It was actually very nice, and did a nice job!

Ok, great. Thanks guys. Yeah I probably wont give him a bath to often anyway, but now I kind of know what to look for.

Nobody's mentioned this, but I use baby shampoo on their heads when they need to be thoroughly washed. I just like knowing I'm not going to hurt them if they accidentally get any in their eyes.

In mud season my girlies get a lot of hosing off but not always a full on bath.

In the barn I just use whatever we've got in the wash stall, usually some form of Cowboy Magic. I love their rosemary stuff.

After rinsing, I usually give them a quick dowse with some dilute vinegar. I find it helps with bugs, and it keeps their skin from getting flaky from our hard water.

At home, they have been known to enjoy whatever yummy smelling thing I have in my shower. Rosie the Fluff loves her Paul Mitchell conditioner. :rolleyes: