BC Boards

Off leash bulldog attacked my Aussie

Has anyone else had this happen? Do you ever carry protection for this type of incident? Wick suffered a serious puncture in the throat and multiple lacerations and swelling but will be ok. I'm obviously pretty upset about it. We were just walking this morning at 640 am ish and all of a sudden this bulldog came running from about 30 feet away strait at us from around a blind corner (they were behind a bush) and went strait into an attack.

There are several people on this board that have survived dog attacks like this. Many carry various things to protect 5 hems elves and their dogs. Pepper spray to walking sticks.

That's why I don't walk dogs anymore.

I'm glad you both will be ok. Did the owner of the dog ever show up?

Hearing these stories is so infuriating. I won't walk my dogs in my neighborhood because there are always so many people that allow their dogs to "roam" in their unfenced yards...ie the street. I don't even run or walk without my dogs because of it. I don't understand how people think it's ok. When I'm out on a trail somewhere, I expect to see off leash dogs - even then it's amazing how many are aggressive. (Fearful or not).

I'm glad you and your dog are ok. I hope the owner of the bulldog is being responsible and paying for the medical costs.

My mother comes to visit and gives out about the 'poor dogs' because a dog's place is 'outside'... in an unfenced yard... in an area with lots and lots of sheep. That's just how it's supposed to be.

I come across a surprising number of people who think it's 'cruel' of me not to let my dogs wander or not to let my reactive dog off-lead in areas with other dogs. Sure they'll 'sort it out'.