BC Boards

Bait bag? Favorites?

CptJack, to answer your question about pockets in women's clothing: I don't know. And I took 2 semesters of History of Costuming, taught by a near genius at melding design and function. Of course, this in a theatre arts dept., so . . .

If I were guessing, I'd say that it's got a lot to do w/what sells or what they think will sell. However, I've lately seen some pants that have a multitude of pockets of all sizes, made for medical/industrial use. The pockets are not roomy, however, made for things like scissors/pruning shears to slip in and out of quickly.

Thanks for the ideas.

Ruth and Gibbs

If I use a bait bag I prefer something with a french hinge so I can open close with one hand and clip so I can clip it to the waist of my pants vs threading a belt. The Terry Ryan works well, and I think Outward Hound has one.

Anymore though, I seldom use treat bags. I either use them off of a table or chair nearby or stick a few in my pocket.

Bait bags can get in the way, but I did have the snap hinge one (made by Premier, who was purchased by another company a few years later) which I really liked.

I have been considering a lightweight vest - somewhat similar to a fishing vest I have seen at Gander Mountain or Sportsman's Warehouse - with lots of pockets. I figure I can fit a toy or two, treats and poop bags - and maybe my cell phone.

Best bait bag I've found is the Doggone Good Trek & Train Treat Pouch. I recommend buying a web belt for it too (it doesn't come with one).

I've used a lot of bait pouches. Every single one of them has worn out on me, except the Doggone Good one. (French hinges break, magnets wear themselves out of the lining, etc.) It's about time for me to buy myself a new one, but it's because the one I currently have is just kind of icky now. It's still like new in every other way, after years of use.

LOL!! My favorite actually is the canvas nail pouch from Home Depot!! I had one for Speedy that I then used for Maddie and then Dean and then Tessa when she first started. It finally gave out and I used a plastic baggie crammed in my pocket for Bandit.

I loved that nail pouch! I could keep treats, a clicker, and a small target handy in it at all times!! Nice to have those things on hand with a brand new trainee! :)

I'm glad this topic came up because I need to get a new bait bag and haven't been able to decide which one to get. Good to see people's reviews.

A lot of agility folks associated with NEBCR love this one that they sell in their store: http://shop.nebcr.org/collections/training-aids/products/click-draw-tret-pouch-1

A nice perk is that buying one from NEBCR also helps border collies. ;)

I really liked the snap hinged one Premier (now PetSafe) used to sell, but one of the hinges broke almost immediately. They would have replaced it then (dunno if they still do) but I never got around to sending it back.

I have been through a lot of treat bags, and I have never been happy with one of them for very long. Hinges wear out and magnets wear through the cloth, as Sekah said. I train and treat a lot and none of the commercially made ones were useful for long enough to make me think they were worth the money.

Also, the opening and closing of the bag with hinges or magnets took too much time and was fussy.

I came across what appears to be a food server's pouch in a thrift store. It is just a small flat bag of black cotton with an opening at the top, no closure, but deep enough that the treats don't fall out when I lean over, and sewn onto a belt of the same material that is adjustable and has an easy-on easy-off clasp. It looks like what a food server would keep the order pad and a pen in. It is machine washable, and has lasted several years now and works the best, although lately I have preferred just to put the treats into my pocket. When I am training I wear either loose pants that have pockets (like sweatpants or the like), or a vest with pockets that I got (also at a thrift store) just for the purpose. Below is a photo from the internet of a similar one, although not exactly like what I use.

post-2074-0-32587900-1461683255_thumb.jpg

what do you all think about this type:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00NGW9FKK/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_nS_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=1O3VII5QA2D2C&coliid=I2ERQOME56B4I6&psc=1

I was thinking of getting this more for long walks because it comes with a leash attachment... has any one used this brand or product?

Also on the topic of pants, I had a pair of pants that I thought had the fake pockets until a seam (at the top of the pockets) came loose and I realized they sewed the pockets shut!

Why waist the fabric to make the pockets if you are just going to sew them together? :huh: (needless to say I found a seam ripper real quick)

I have this one: https://www.cleanrun.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=product.display&product_ID=2606&ParentCat=54

and I like it a lot. Separate spots for different value treats, poop bag dispenser, hinges closed, and I can fit a ton of treats in there. Although the thought of a light-weight vest does intrigue me.

I went with the PoochPouch, a soft silicon molded thing with a clip for a belt or waistband. The top is very easy to stick my hands into, holds a good amount of treats, and it will clean up nicely just by throwing it in with the dishes. Took it to class yesterday after I tried it out around the house, works very nicely for me.

Thanks for all the advice! It helped me sort through what was important to me and not so important.

Ruth and Gibbs, who is getting treat delivery more efficiently and with less cursing

The problem with any pants pockets for me is that I fumble, I bring out way more treats than needed or drop them. My hand gets caught in the seams/edges, it takes too long to get the treat out, I forget which pocket the treats are in, etc. etc.

The bait bag I got solves all those problems for me, it's pliable and has an opening that allows me to stick 2 fingers in and get a single treat, quickly with no fuss.

I don't need the extra stuff that some bait bags have pockets for - all the other stuff I carry on my person fits nicely in my pockets.

Ruth and Gibbs