BC Boards

Puppy Growth Rate

• Replies 239
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Molly is something like 21" (that's not measured) and weighs 42lbs at 17 months. Their scale is a bit unreliable so that might be more like 40lbs or closer to 45, depending on where she wast standing on it, but '40-ish' covers it either way.

So, more than 2 years later: Yeah, she was fat - and I do mean fat. She didn't look it because she's got an extreme amount of tuck, but still - fat. Her current weight is barely 36lbs and that's about right. (And where she's been for a while, actually).

Kiran, for the record, is a BC X but he was 16lbs at 16 weeks. At 9 months (yesterday) he weighs 29lbs. A TALL and extremely skinny 29lbs, but he's yet to break 30.

Sometimes I wonder if I am feeding enough, our BC is so active she just burns it off. Feeding Blue Buffalo Wilderness Brown Rice and Chicken and It calls for 2 or 2 1/2 cups a day for 24 to 40 Lb dogs. 26 Lbs at 4 months old.

Wow - Kieran looks so much bigger in pictures! Im surprised to hear that hes smaller than Tess!

I doubt he's actually smaller than her - just lighter than she is. He occupies more space than Molly (he's about the same height but a little longer), and he was actually taller and longer than the 40lb 10 month old we hung out with at a trial this past weekend. He just weighs absolutely nothing. Like pick him up and cart him around held under one arm still weirdness.

And he has a huge head which makes him look bigger all around in pictures taken with him facing the camera.

3bqIZfcTeV9ryMQhF5Up.jpg

and well, his head is the only thing with substance right now :P Like, at all.

On 1/3/2018 at 12:12 PM, BillG said:

Sometimes I wonder if I am feeding enough, our BC is so active she just burns it off. Feeding Blue Buffalo Wilderness Brown Rice and Chicken and It calls for 2 or 2 1/2 cups a day for 24 to 40 Lb dogs. 26 Lbs at 4 months old.

Feed by the dog's condition, not recommendations on the bag. If she's too thin, up her food. Too chubby, reduce it.

One of the worst things you can do for her joints is to encourage fast growth. Slower is better.

And 26# at 4 months old doesn't mean a thing on it's own. It's all about condition, and you don't know -- and IMO can't know -- what her ultimate size will be so her size now tells you nothing.

• 2 weeks later...

Ted suffered from Panosteitis when he was young because he was growing so fast. Poor puppy looked like he was an old dog. Once his growth slowed, it went away. He was 9# at 8 1/2 weeks, 18# at 12 1/2 weeks, 22.8 # at 16 weeks and is now 3 years old and is 41 pounds.

• 2 years later...

Hello Everyone, 

I am new here but wanted to contribute and ask if I should be concerned about my dogs weight. She is a big girl and I worry she is going to be huge. Here are her weights. 

7wks 4 days - 13.5 lbs

8 weeks - 14.3 lbs

10 weeks - 17.5 lbs

Feel free to comment as I am open to any as well as suggestions etc  

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

728201E1-B750-4683-9C4E-F6EB0E423243.jpeg.53787217a10fac7e84e6b6a9e395db38.jpegHello! 

I am new here and I am a new BC owner. I have never had one before. I am concerned about my Lucie’s weight. She is a big girl. She turned 15 weeks on Saturday and weighed in at 25.8 lbs. She was the second smallest of the litter with her brothers being the biggest. I am afraid of how big she is going to be when she is full grown. Any thoughts? Should I feed her less? She eats a normal amount but is always voracious. It’s like it’s her last meal. 

My older puppy (he is 10 months old) used to be like that and we had to get him a special bowl to slow him down. He doesn’t eat half as fast anymore. He is now just over 30 lbs.  My old dog is the slowest of course and often doesn’t eat enough lol. So I have 3 dogs with 3 speeds. I’m just wondering if I should feed her more frequently but in smaller amounts. 

Here is a pic of the 3 of them. 

• 3 weeks later...
On 11/12/2014 at 12:53 AM, mum24dog said:

At 17 weeks Risk was 6kg (13.2 lb) and around 14in tall. He's not a roly poly pup by any means but he's growing steadily and starting to muscle up nicely in the hind legs. Nothing about him says unhealthy. Front legs still quite knobbly.

Have a male border collie 19 weeks old weighs 33lbs and stands about 19inches to the shoulder big boy in the making 

• 4 months later...