BC Boards

Solliquin and Sileo

CSW

We are starting the Solliquin today. It just arrived at the vet. Here are some links for those interested.

https://www.researchgate.net/publication/296194967_Case_report_series_of_clinical_effectiveness_and_safety_of_SolliquinTM_for_behavioral_support_in_dogs

http://www.cliniciansbrief.com/sites/default/files/attachments/CN_The%20Fearful,%20Anxious,%20%26%20Worried%20Pet.pdf (page 3 discusses the ingredients).

I would be interested in hearing if anyone else is using Solliquin and their results.

I would also be interested in anyone who used Sileo for the fireworks or other situations and what were the results. The fireworks here in Fargo ND were very bad in our neighborhood this year.

I've owned several BCs who reacted very badly to the active ingredient in Sileo. I am very cautious using it in lean, athletic dogs with normally low heart rates. It's a useful drug, but I worry about sending someone home with it.

My neighbor used it (Sileo) with her very fit agility border collie who is so thunderphobic as to practicality try to kill herself to escape the noise. She had used Sileo all weekend for the fireworks and we gave her dog a dose last night before the big storm (owner traveling) we had and she's a different dog. She is giving slightly less than the recommended amount for her dog's size. I intend to try it on my youngster who is thunderphobic, I've been that impressed with her results.

J.

Are they taking their dogs' heart rates? I've seen them drop to 10 bpm, scary low.

Liz P, have you seen this with Sileo or are you referring to Dexdormitor? I am also very hesitant to prescribe this drug at this time, knowing the profound cardiovascular effects of dormitor/Dexdormitor. I am waiting for it to be out on the market for a while to see what type of problems get reported back...

With dexdomitor, at a lower than recommended dose. Several different dogs lightly sedated for taking rads. I am also declining to prescribe Sileo until it's been on the market for awhile and we see what happens. It scares me a lot to be sending clients home with a drug like that.

Interesting night. We had very bad storms with tornado warnings here in North Dakota. Star reacts to the thunder by barking and getting excited, and if it is a long storm or a particularly bad one, panting. We had quite a bit of thunder and it was only 5 days after the dreaded fireworks, so that may have been a factor. I don't have a basement but kept her in an inside room with me and the radio on. She was still overly excited afterwards as it was a longer storm and late at night, when she is known to still get the zoomies on occasion. The Solliquin does say you can give an additional dose when events are particularly stressful, but I did not since she had only been on it 3 days and on the higher dose. She is right at the weight for going to the higher dose and the vet said to have her on the higher dose to start with. Some dogs can (sometimes) experience nausea if a 2nd dose is given. Then a 2nd stream of storms came in about 1 1/2 hours later with A LOT of loud rolling thunder. After I realized she was only getting worse, I gave her a 2nd dose, it came about 16 hours after her normal morning, once a day, dose. 30 minutes later she was sleeping through the storm. I should have given it earlier. She seems fine this morning. For those unfamiliar with Solliquin, it is a fairly new daily supplement only available through veterinarians, to help with noise anxiety. My vet had to special order it. The links in my first post provide details as to how it works.

Seems like a lot of the issues related to dosage could be resolved by selling it in smaller single dose vials. Less risk of a pet owner accidentally giving too much and also the med would last longer if you only need it occasionally as the current syringe dispensing expires 14 days after opening.

Julie, yes and no. Higher doses will cause more cardiovascular depression, but I've seen dogs on a very low dose have bad reactions and dogs on the higher end of the dose need additional drugs to get them to sleep.

Rushdoggie, single doses would be safer, but I still would still worry sending it home with a client. I won't let my techs walk away from an animal sedated with that drug. I want regular reports on heart rates. If I am concerned, I reverse immediately.

Now, I do use it on a regular basis in clinical practice. When we use it with care it's very handy. I've never lost a dog or cat to it, but I treat all anesthesia with the utmost respect. When you get too compliant and comfortable, you make mistakes.

So Star has been on Solliquin for 1 week. Today was a great day for Star! Here is her progress report, sorry it is a bit long.

The neighbor kids drive electric kiddie cars around. This really makes Star very reactive, barking, and running around inside the house, tearing up toys. I do try to distract her with a soundtrack she is use to, turning on the fan, closing off bedrooms and staying in the room the farthest from the noise, but usually with very limited success, actually no success. This has created some tension between the neighbors and I, as I have asked them not to run the kiddie cars near my house. It is always Star who alerts me to the cars, I don't know what she is reacting to until I open the door and hear them as I can't hear them when indoors, though obviously she can. Today, Star was just laying in the living room, awake, and I opened the patio door for the breeze and I heard the kiddie cars, she did not react. Not wanting to push our luck, I closed the door and did not make a big deal out of it other than to let her do some tricks for treats.

Around supper time, I had the patio door open for the breeze again. Star normally will not go out into the fenced back yard unless she sees me at the door or I go with her. She spends little time outside before she races inside, tail tucked. She has gotten into the habit of going out and nosing around in the very early morning, before 6AM and again, late at night, both times when it is very, very quiet outside, but some days, she will not even do that. Usually when I have the patio door open during the day or evening she will choose to go into her kennel in the bedroom and hide. When she comes out, she will peek around the corner and if the patio door is open, go back to her kennel. Tonight at suppertime I had it open and she went out and played in the yard on her own, running and nosing around. She only did this for a bit and then came in, then went out and did it again. Now while this is an improvement, it is not the REALLY BIG NEWS.

Later after supper, I was washing dishes and suddenly wondered where was Star as she is usually underfoot when dirty dishes are involved. I looked around and then out the kitchen window and she was sitting in the backyard, with her back to the house, quite relaxed. What a joy to see her enjoying the outside in a relaxed manner. I honestly cannot remember the last time I saw her do this.

We still have a ways to go, but what an improvement! A goal I hope we will achieve is to go on walks, but I do not want to push her into it. I am happy with the progress she has demonstrated today. :)

Star has been on Solliquin for 2 weeks.

Her fear and reactive problems started last fall. We have not been on walks since then as she is too scared and will run to her kennel when I ask if she wants to go on a walk. When I asked her on Sunday night, she surprised me by going to the door. We put on her harness and I took her on a short walk. Her tail was up the whole time (not tucked between her legs). It has been too hot since then to try it again.

Yesterday Star went to the vet who has been treating her for an iliopsoas strain. He noticed a difference in her right away. This is the ortho vet who order the Solliquin for us and he was so impressed by Star's comfort level he mentioned he would be ordering it for the clinic. Star did not have her tail tucked between her legs during the visit. It was up and wagging except during the examinanation (still not tucked though) and treatment.

Also today the duplex next door caught fire. Everyone and their pets got out okay, but it is right next to ours. I have a large backyard, but small side yard. We had fire trucks and numerous emergency vehicles here in front of our house and of course the fire was close enough you could smell it. I put Star in her kennel and gave her another Solliquin as soon as I realized there was a fire next door. The directions do say you can give another dose if there is a stressful event. Star only got excited for a very short time and then settled down. The trucks were running the whole time and they used my lawn as a staging area for the firemen.

Finally, yesterday I asked the vet if I could split her dose and he agreed. Instead of giving one tablet in the morning, I will be giving her 1/2 in the morning and 1/2 in the evening. I was going to start that today, but the fire nextdoor preempted that plan. I want to split the dose becuase she seems to need some more in the late evening, so I thought we would try this.

I feel this product is definately worth a try if you have a noise sensitive or anxious dog. Star is right at the cut off weight for the larger dosage and the vet has us taking the larger dose of 1 tablet per day. For smaller dogs, it is less costly as they need only 1/2 a tablet per day. It is also available in a formula for cats. You do have to get it from a vet, at least right now. We have already ordered 2 more bottles. The vet said he had originally hesitated to order it for the clinic as it was somewhat expensive, but after seeing Star he was going to order it. I told him if it works owners will want it and the bonus is it has no known side effects or adverse reactions.

Going to 1/2 tablets twice a day did not work at all. We are back to one tablet in the morning and sometimes 1/2 or 1 additional tablet in late evening, such as last night when we had 2 waves of storms. Have been on 3 short walks now and doing lots of rewarding after the walk, similiar to when we were housebreaking as a puppy with high value treats and happy, happy voice. Star is still a bit hesitate at times and I am choosing very quiet times to try a short walk where I can control the conditions as much as possible.