BC Boards

Musher's Secret or Bag Balm - Do they stain furniture & rugs?

This is a big question I've had about those waxy concotions. I tried Musher's Secret last winter at a friend's house... but worry that in the house, it would melt, soften, and end up all over my couch and bed, not to mention the floors.

Thanks for your experience.

Mary

You mean your dogs don't lick off the Bag Balm from their paws?!

Mine considers it a delicatesse and actually begs for it by sitting pretty in the bathroom - the jar is on the bathroom counter - and giving me his paws, one at a time - If I ask him - where's your boo-boo, he lifts one paw at a time and shows me where he used to have blisters that were treated with Bag Balm. :rolleyes: Wierdo :D

But whatever is left after thorough licking does help with moisturizing his paw pads and he hasn't had any bleeding cuts since we bought the jar last January :D

You mean your dogs don't lick off the Bag Balm from their paws?!

Mine considers it a delicatesse and actually begs for it by sitting pretty in the bathroom - the jar is on the bathroom counter - and giving me his paws, one at a time - If I ask him - where's your boo-boo, he lifts one paw at a time and shows me where he used to have blisters that were treated with Bag Balm. :D Wierdo :D

But whatever is left after thorough licking does help with moisturizing his paw pads and he hasn't had any bleeding cuts since we bought the jar last January :D

:rolleyes::D That's so funny! Lucia licks it a little, but "eh eh" make her stop. That's another reason for putting it on at night. They are usually too tired to bother with it.

Good question. I use Musher's Secret and the dogs too think its yummy. I tried to apply it right before heading out of the door and I found that the snow actually sticks to their paws more if the wax is not absorbed or dry or whatever. I haven't seen any major stains or damage on my rugs/floors/carpets but I am sure there must be residue left there somewhere. Applying it before your dogs spend some time in the crate and giving them a kong or a bone while the wax is being absorbed might be the best option if you are worried about your floors. And yeah, even if they lick it off, their pads are still much softer and waxier looking.

Guest maya's mom

We started using Musher's this winter, and have been very happy with it. I too, usually put a fresh coat on just before heading outdoors. Maya usually starts to lick it when we are applying it, but it is not harmful. I usually put it on pretty thick if there is a lot of snow, and as mentioned, the snow sometimes does stick to it a little more than normal, if it hasn't soaked in. But, when we take her in to clean her off, the snow wipes off very easily, and there usually aren't any actual hard snow/ice balls. Depending on the weather, we re-apply every other day, to 2-3 days and have never had a problem with any staining on the carpet, furniture or hard wood floors. If you don't take them outside after applying a thick coat, I would just apply less, and really rub it in the paws, to avoid any excess getting on furniture, etc in your house. I believe their website also said it didn't stain.....Either way, we love it!