BC Boards

ABCA/ISDS registered "beardies"

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Returning this thread to a higher plane -- or at least to the original topic -- I wanted to comment on the questions about the working style of these dogs. I don't really know if the non-ISDS/ABCA working beardies are upright, loose-eyed and barky, but the ISDS/ABCA descendants of Turnbull's Blue shown here are generally not. Ben, the Blue grandson, is actually at the strong-eyed end of the border collie spectrum. As for the others, I'd say they are well within the normal variation found in the working styles of border collies. I've told Barbara Starkey, who owns the dogs, how to join the boards so she can post with her perceptions, and I hope she will.

>

Not really. If a pup is born to an ISDS-registered dog it is considered a border collie, whether bearded or not. If a dog is registered on merit with the ISDS, it is considered a border collie, whether bearded or not. I've seen the ISDS papers on Grae, the Blue great-grandson shown above, and there's no notation on there that he's bearded, nor is there any notation next to Blue's name on his pedigree that he is bearded. I doubt there's any notation on the papers of the others either, although I don't know for sure.

The pedigree I got from Teun v/d Dool is compiled from ISDS studbook info. Color and coat type is listed for the first three generations (and would be listed for subsequent gens except that there isn't enough room). The information must be recorded somewhere by ISDS even if it doesn't show up on the papers.

Fly's great-grandma:

Ceri 151753

Beard B,W

1984-07-18

T.Ll.Roberts

CI=8.58/4.47%, 78%W

There isn't any pedigree information on ISDS papers, is there? I keep forgetting to get Fly's registration papers from my trainer, otherwise I'd know.

No, there isn't any pedigree information on ISDS papers. I'm glad you mentioned that, because it caused me to realize that the papers I saw for Grae had to be his ABCA papers, not his ISDS papers. So maybe his ISDS papers DO have "beard" noted on them. We'll ask Barbara if she joins us.

• 1 year later...

They are quite distinct, though as this thread notes, there is a good bit of mixing today.

Beardies are more or less a Welsh breed. Although there wasn't any registry until the 20th century (and a lot of working Beardies still aren't registered), the Welsh are fiercely proud of their distinctive lines of sheepdogs - in addition to the beardies there's also pockets of "Welsh collies" although the ATV and the trial-bred collie are overwhelming them rapidly.

http://www.glassportal.com/herding/welsh.htm

http://www.bbc.co.uk/wales/mid/yoursay/top...mal_magic.shtml

I got to see Ben work quite a bit in my early training days with Carlie, both in training and in a trial or two. He worked very much like a border collie. I don't remember him barking or being upright and bouncy. He was quite stylish and slinky. Very sweet personality though and I like the shaggy face look!

Olivia

• 4 years later...

Hello,

my name is Christine and i am from Germany.

Since november last year i own a new border collie (beside my two older ones Nelly 7, and Lucy 5)

Her name is Lone. Her father is Jim (by Serge van der Zweep) and her mother ist Kyp.

Kyp has got Turnbull Blue in her pedigree.

Since 2 month now, Little-Lone begins to develop a very special outlook.

Greetings after so many years from Turnbull Blue : A beard grows in her face. :D

I began to search in the internet for some relatives of Lone - and lucky-me, i found this board with

so many pictures.

Although Lones development is not yet ready, i will show you some pictures of her :

DSC00795.JPG

And here are some more :

Lone and friends

Lots of greetings from Germany

Christine

and her unbelievable charming dogs :rolleyes:

Thank you very much for the compliments :rolleyes:

A friend took all this fotos. Its also her picasa Album.

And another friend found this site for me.

We are some people with bordercollies and sheep and from time to time we meet us

to have a little training together (Germanys size allows that) :D

I own some skudden, Scottish Blackface and Schnucken

(sorry i don´t know if there´s a translation).

Best wishes

Christine

We had Jo Sermon from Brittain come over and do an agilty seminar for us a couple of years ago. She has working beardies to do agility with, and she purchased them from working farms. She sent me some pictures of working beardies as well, hope I can find the links.

According to the time she has spent with the famers she got the pups from, they do work quite differently than border collies - she has spent time with the farmers and watched the dogs work. As well, their conformation is quite similar to the show beardie, i,e, head style, etc. the biggest difference is the coats of them. THey have the flatter head etc - different than a Border Collies.

I hope I still have the links - my computer has given me problems and I have lost some of the links I used to have.

Hello,

my name is Christine and i am from Germany.

Since november last year i own a new border collie (beside my two older ones Nelly 7, and Lucy 5)

Her name is Lone. Her father is Jim (by Serge van der Zweep) and her mother ist Kyp.

Kyp has got Turnbull Blue in her pedigree.

Since 2 month now, Little-Lone begins to develop a very special outlook.

Greetings after so many years from Turnbull Blue : A beard grows in her face. :D

I began to search in the internet for some relatives of Lone - and lucky-me, i found this board with

so many pictures.

Although Lones development is not yet ready, i will show you some pictures of her :

DSC00795.JPG

And here are some more :

Lone and friends

Lots of greetings from Germany

Christine

and her unbelievable charming dogs :rolleyes:

What a neat looking dog she is! Very striking!

I wonder - did Beardies and BC's start out as varients of the same type long ago?

I have heard of furry faces on Aussies but they have variety of breeds in their genetic make up so that is not surprising.

Greetings after so many years from Turnbull Blue : A beard grows in her face.

Such a cool suprise and a neat way of saying it!

Lone is really adorable. Do you know how her parents are on stock? The other dogs you have in the pictures look beautiful too!

I'd have a hard time keeping from tugging on her little wiskers, just so cute!

Thank you very much for your warm welcome. :D

Its very interesting to read here.

I write in a German bordercollie board as well and it is very similar.

Lones parents are still on stock. It was the first litter of her mother Kyp, who

works as a farm dog at the belge/dutch frontier. Originally she is from Wales.

Her father Jim (ISDS No. 277807is one of the most favourite studdogs in Europe

at the moment.

He was winner of the European brace championship last September in Switzerland together

with the bitch Lass, also owned by Serge van der Zweep. Lass, by the way, was winner

of the single championship (and Jim was fifth)

I had several clinics with Serge and felt in love with his Jim... and so last november the

dream to have a daughter from him became true.

Here is a photo of Lone made on the day, when she arrived on our house.

You see, she looked totally different and the Turnbull Blue Genetics decided

to surpise us a few month later :D

lone.jpg

If you like to read more about her father

click here

It´s all written in English.

And here is some more information about me -

unfortunately in German.

Lots of greetings from the other side

of the bc-world :rolleyes:

Christine

Christine, you should submit her pictures to the Border Collie Museum (link is to the coat type page)- I think they're looking for a bearded picture :-)

She is really adorable!!

Christine, you should submit her pictures to the Border Collie Museum (link is to the coat type page)- I think they're looking for a bearded picture :-)

She is really adorable!!

Thank you for this interesting link -

í´ll wait a few months and see how Lone matures

and then i will send some photos to the bordercollie-museum.

At the moment nobody believes that she´s a "real" bordercollie.

Most of the people think, she´s a

Giant schnauzer/German shepherd/Terrier crossbread :D

Lone herself thinks she´s a pig :rolleyes:

38563445.jpg

Christine

:D

At the moment nobody believes that she´s a "real" bordercollie.

Most of the people think, she´s a

Giant schnauzer/German shepherd/Terrier crossbread

Yep that sounds about right... if a Border Collie isn't cookie-cutter black and white with a rough coat, there's no way it's purebred! There's several threads on here about what people have been told their purebred Border Collies are mixes of. Very entertaining, you should read through a couple if you get a chance :-)