BC Boards

How adept are dogs are at reading facial expressions & body language?

318958_10151263946841355_1128600768_n.jpg

If you came across your dog doing something it ''knows'' it shouldn't be doing yet you gave a very happy welcome with a cheery voice, do you think it would still get the ''guilty'' look on its face and with its body language?

My dog behaves as if she's ashamed if I come home and she's barfed on the rug. (Always by the back door.) I have NEVER scolded her for barfing on the rug, or having "the collywobles" - and she's always ashamed about that too. She hangs her head and won't look at me, even though I commiserate with her for having upset "gutty-wuts". She eats weird, nasty things if she can, so she's either barfed or the other several times.

She's never done anything destructive when I was gone, so I don't know about that.

Forgot to add that I think my dogs read my energy not my facial expressions.

They read your "energy"? What is your energie?

This is by the way a serious question, as your post seems to talk about something other than facial expression and body language.

I don´t think dogs read anything mysterious beyond that, it might seem that way, but that is just because they are really really good at it.

Forgot to add that I think my dogs read my energy not my facial expressions.

But that's probably manifested in your body language which will include your facial expressions - how you move, your posture, relaxation or tenseness. I think the dogs read the whole package - face is part of it but more important is the whole body language and the message it conveys.

I have NEVER scolded her for barfing on the rug

Maybe not but you would hardly have been pleased at the prospect of cleaning it up and you can't hide that from a dog whether you scold them or not.

They are far better at reading subtle nuances of body language than we are. We have bigger brains but we have largely lost the survival instinct that needs that ability.

I think dogs can read facial expressions. If I direct a look of surprise at my dog, she will look at me in anticipation (if I'm reading her facial expressions correctly). Who knows how adept they are at reading subtle expressions, though. I have noticed that Hannah and my GSD Cammie were both more attuned to me in general.

I suspect Pam is right; they are far better at reading subtle nuances of body language than we are.

They read your "energy"? What is your energie?

This is by the way a serious question, as your post seems to talk about something other than facial expression and body language.

I don´t think dogs read anything mysterious beyond that, it might seem that way, but that is just because they are really really good at it.

Your energy is who you are, on a basic level. When you meet a stranger, you pick up on their energy-happy, serious, tense, low key, hyper, honest, down-to-earth, etc. You pick up on who they are on a core level, same thing with a dog. The first time I met my brothers dog, I knew he was going to bite and told them to not take him (he bit my sis-in-law 2 wks after they got him and just sent her to the hospital for stitches) and the first time I met one of my coworkers I knew she was not an stand up-honest type of person (turned out she was stealing from the shop and was fired). I am not a mind reader or a physic, I just picked up on 'who they were' on a basic level. Most people can do this, dogs just do it way better. It is how you can meet someone and in 1 minute can tell whether you want to continue being around that person, date them, be friends, or whatever. This is all 'energy' (body language, facial expressions, etc) or whatever word you want to use.

There has been some scientific research on how dogs interpret human facial expressions- scientists discovered that dogs have the ability to interpret human facial expressions with the same accuracy as a human infant or toddler. I think it was written up in a journal called Current Biology a couple of years ago.

Maybe not but you would hardly have been pleased at the prospect of cleaning it up and you can't hide that from a dog whether you scold them or not.

They are far better at reading subtle nuances of body language than we are. We have bigger brains but we have largely lost the survival instinct that needs that ability.

This. Think about it. If a dog can read the smallest turn of your shoulder or gesture of your hand while running agility, or read a shift in your stance or the smallest flick of a p***ed off sheep's ear, then it stands to reason that they can see the sag or tightening up of your shoulders when you see a mess on the floor.

Humans as a rule are spectacularly unaware of how much we communicate without any words at all. Thank god our dogs can remind us of all that we would otherwise miss.

Ruth and Agent Gibbs

Dogs are brilliant at reading body language. But they read your whole body, and with more than one sense.

Visually, they consider your entire body (including posture and type of movement), not just your face, hand, foot (etc.) in a freeze frame.

Their hearing is more sensitive and covers a wider range than ours, so they can detect undertones which may or may not agree with superficial words, no matter how cheerful the phrasing.

And compared to humans, they have an incredibly powerful sense of smell -- which almost certainly gives them an extremely accurate direct perception of our true chemical/emotional condition.

In addition to cues given by a human walking on-stage, dogs are not oblivious to situational context. Being found near an "accident" site has caused negative results in the past; it's probably not a good place to be found again.

To me, that adds up to dogs being pretty good at detecting incongruities between the messages we want to send, and the underlying emotional reactions we're intellectually overruling.

It amazes me that dogs have the sapient capacity to recognize human message conflicts, realize which message the human would like them to accept, and then respond accordingly. The dog found near the accidental potty mess who is anxious at first will often accept reassurance swiftly and happily.

At least, most of the time. When the human is sufficiently clear about which signal ought to take priority, and follows through, and the conflict with past experience/context is surmountable.

Liz S in Central NY

I've had dogs that were more adept than others at reading me. Maybe that's not right, maybe those particular dogs were the ones who cared more about what I thought about XYZ. Currently, Gideon responds to every little move I make, while Micah seems oblivious. Gideon's goal in life is to please, Micah's is to be pleased.

This. Think about it. If a dog can read the smallest turn of your shoulder or gesture of your hand while running agility, or read a shift in your stance or the smallest flick of a p***ed off sheep's ear, then it stands to reason that they can see the sag or tightening up of your shoulders when you see a mess on the floor.

Humans as a rule are spectacularly unaware of how much we communicate without any words at all. Thank god our dogs can remind us of all that we would otherwise miss.

Ruth and Agent Gibbs

Well, yes. But usually I don't see the barf or drizzle when I first get home. However, the dog meets me at the front door with a "hang-dog" expression. I can't be reacting - expressions, body-language, etc. to something I haven't become aware of yet.

Interestingly, If she barfs when I'm home, I'm usually on the spot with sympathy before she's done barfing. The other doesn't happen when I'm home because she goes to the back door to let me know she's "expecting a train." And in the instances when I'm at home for the event, she doesn't get the hang-dog thing. She gets a belly rub, sympathy, and some shredded coconut for barfing or the collywobbles. UEEs (Unexpected Evacuation Events) whether fore or aft are something my mother got uptight about. I remember how unfair that felt, so my gut reaction (sorry...) to a UEE is sympathy for the animal, not annoyance about the event. I get 'em outside as quick as possible, but if we don't make it - oh well...

If my dog barfs or has the collywobbles my first thought is, "Is she OK?" not "Oh crap, a mess!" I have worked in kennel settings long enough that the mess is no big deal to me. I am much more annoyed when my neighbor's stupid car alarm goes off. :P

ETA: Maybe what I'm seeing as "hang-dog" when I come home to a UEE is not hang-dog at all, but rather a dog that's sad 'cause it didn't get a belly rub, sympathy or shredded coconut when she was "in distress." I have never read her expression as apprehensive of consequences, but rather embarrassment/shame/apology.

If you came across your dog doing something it ''knows'' it shouldn't be doing yet you gave a very happy welcome with a cheery voice, do you think it would still get the ''guilty'' look on its face and with its body language?

No, my dog would not. If I were to give a happy welcome with cheery voice, I would get quite a pleased look from my dog and tail wags (from those who are inclined to wag).

FWIW, I have multiples, and never once have I come home to vomit, pee, poo, or something torn up or knocked over or destroyed or anything else in the house and found that I have been able to identify which dog did it because one is acting "guilty" in any way.

It would sure be handy because then I'd know which one is feeling sick (if I'm finding vomit, poo, or frequent pee), but I just haven't seen it. If I don't happen to see the dog in the act, or observe that the dog is "off" in some physical way, I have not found that I have a way to tell who had the issue.

Some dogs can "read" or whatever you want to call it, some very subtle signals. Much more subtle than a human being would be likely to pick up and comprehend. My Jester is especially sensitive, and good at doing this. He lies at my feet a lot when I am on computer, and if something frustrates me, he will sometimes be up and looking at me(or more likely leaving the room) before the sigh or the "tch" even comes out of my mouth. Interestingly, I can make a sign or a "tch" sound just at random, and he will not respond the same way.

Well, yes. But usually I don't see the barf or drizzle when I first get home. However, the dog meets me at the front door with a "hang-dog" expression. I can't be reacting - expressions, body-language, etc. to something I haven't become aware of yet.

But your dog can be responding to an event that happened in the past.

As Thunderhill said

In addition to cues given by a human walking on-stage, dogs are not oblivious to situational context. Being found near an "accident" site has caused negative results in the past; it's probably not a good place to be found again.

Negative results are whatever your dog considers to be negative and could have been imperceptible to you.

I think waffles is summing up what I would call energy. Have you ever studied akido or karate or Ti Chi?

Ki or Chi? Your center? A dog has it too. All living things have it. If you don't understand I guess you might not even if I could explain more. But I'm out of town working so haven't got time at moment. But I know my dogs can feel it even if its dark or they aren't looking at me. It's just there.

I'll try to explain more when I get home but ill probably forget, I still have more than a week of out of town work ahead of me.

Your explanation at least explains what this use of the term energy means to you. I personally would not use the term energy in this context.

Well I am sure it is not 'just me' but with you being from a totally different country, I am sure there are many words that we use differently. The whole point though, is not the word, but the idea that a dog can pick up on who a dog or person is in a different (and I think better more clear) way than humans typically can.

I think waffles is summing up what I would call energy. Have you ever studied akido or karate or Ti Chi?

Ki or Chi? Your center? A dog has it too. All living things have it. If you don't understand I guess you might not even if I could explain more. But I'm out of town working so haven't got time at moment. But I know my dogs can feel it even if its dark or they aren't looking at me. It's just there.

I'll try to explain more when I get home but ill probably forget, I still have more than a week of out of town work ahead of me.

Funnily I practised both tai chi and aikido.

I am also a physical therapist, and studied a couple of years biology at a dutch university.

I don´t believe in the existence of "ki" or however you want to call this mysterious life force.

You do and that is (of course) okay, and you don´t have to explain it more on my account, I seriously doubt you´ll come up with anything I haven´t come across or heard about (had some friends as a student who were very much into new age and related stuff ;) ).

And it is not very interesting discussion material, because it just boils down to "one believes it or not".

@Waffles, I don´t think this disagreement has anything to do with language difficulties.

318958_10151263946841355_1128600768_n.jpg

Ilove this photo - so like my Robin - if he's caught in some crime, he turns his head and tucks it under his arm like a chicken going to roost. The other day the three of them started rooting through a box of children's toys and started to take turns dissecting a "stuffie" . Unfortunately the "stuffie" talked. It sings (or rather, sang!) a counting song if you touched its paws or feet. Brodie stared and stared, unable to believe it spoke "human" Robin turned his head, as described above, suspecting something was going to come down on him. Left on the field, so to speak, Ladybug savaged it to the last squawk. Our little Ladybug is such a spoiled girl that she has no fear of being caught out - except when she infrequently tips the kitchen trash over in a fit of pique because she's been left out of a trip.

But that's probably manifested in your body language which will include your facial expressions - how you move, your posture, relaxation or tenseness. I think the dogs read the whole package - face is part of it but more important is the whole body language and the message it conveys.

During our series of lessons on sheep this fall, I became more aware of - and amazed at - the smallest nuances my boys pick up. Even something as simple as taking a breath will cue them. We would talk about the plan for an exercises and the dog picked out and reacted to information in the conversation - ... makes you wonder (like with kids) why they aren't so instantly obedient all the time :). I have also noticed that the more work we do with sheep, the more responsive and obedient they are at any other time. I wonder if I as "keeper of the sheep" have earned some more respect from them as it seems a different kind of relationship than working at obedience. My boys always lay down when asked but now they seem to teleport - I don't see them fold, they are just down. Instead of waving my hand to get them to sit up on their haunches, I just lift one finger and up they go on their haunches. I really did learn a great deal at my lessons this fall...my dogs appreciate it. Winter's closing in :( though I think we'll get some time on sheep tomorrow....

Liz

Your energy is who you are, on a basic level. When you meet a stranger, you pick up on their energy-happy, serious, tense, low key, hyper, honest, down-to-earth, etc. You pick up on who they are on a core level, same thing with a dog. The first time I met my brothers dog, I knew he was going to bite and told them to not take him (he bit my sis-in-law 2 wks after they got him and just sent her to the hospital for stitches) and the first time I met one of my coworkers I knew she was not an stand up-honest type of person (turned out she was stealing from the shop and was fired). I am not a mind reader or a physic, I just picked up on 'who they were' on a basic level. Most people can do this, dogs just do it way better. It is how you can meet someone and in 1 minute can tell whether you want to continue being around that person, date them, be friends, or whatever. This is all 'energy' (body language, facial expressions, etc) or whatever word you want to use.

My husband has that kind of energy - children and animals just love him. Ladybug adores him - he is her "person." She was frightened of everyone in the world for some time after we brought her home - except him. When we went for a pup, we signed up for a male and DH thought that if there was a red one, that would be nice. Robin was the only red male born in the litter,so he was ours. We had signed up for just one pup but from the time he opened his eyes,Brodie (pattern white) was fixed on him and would not leave him alone when we'd go to see Robin. DH says its because Brodie knew he wasn't spoken for - people signing up for the litter wanted females and Brodie and Robin were, of course males. Robin was the pick, but when it came time, DH was hooked and we've not been sorry to have them both. That's also how we ended up with Lamb Chops - our whether. He literally stalked DH when we'd go to the farm to see Tulip (his twin) whom we had picked out along with two other ewe lambs and remains his faithful friend to this day - does he know on some level that DH saved him from being the star attraction at someone's Easter dinner? DH takes his sheep for a stroll in the near field while I work with the dogs and the other sheep in the paddock and the neighbors almost believe he's in his right mind...He's also a Santa's helper - had one mother in tears one year because her Downs Syndrome child who was afraid of Santas because they had been not too kind to him in the past went right up to him and gave him a hug. He's a good man, my DH. :).