BC Boards

Puppy Vaccinations

I'm new here. Our BC Buddy passed away a fews weeks ago at the age of 12 due to complications from CHF. Not only are we heart broken, but the house is very quiet. There are puppies-3- on a farm. The owners stated the pup has been vaccinated by them. Do many of you that live on farms do this? Also, the pup hasn't been to a vet. We weren't looking for another dog and guess it was fate. Parvo is one of my concerns. They look and seem healthy but that can be deceiving. I'm waiting on additional info from the owners. Any information you can give me is appreciated. Thank you

we give our own vaccinations to our doge aside from rabies.

Would probably be best to contact your vet to see their take, but here is mine:

You want to ask when their last vaccination was given, if over 3 weeks ago and the pups are under 18 weeks of age then you definitely want to make certain the pups receives another vaccination immediately and do not take the pup into any places that will increase the risk for exposure to parvo. Also, if the vaccine was just given, if you take the pup to the vet and they run a snap test it is possible that the pup will test positive due to the vaccine but not really be sick with parvo.

When we go to the vet clinic, we don't let the young pups down on the floor, interact with other dogs or out to play outside in areas where other dogs visiting the clinic have been.

Ideally, pups should be given parvo vaccinations every 3-4 weeks until they reach 16 weeks old to ensure that the vaccine has not been over road by mothers immunity. Many believe that 2 shots is all they need, while it may be fine for some, there will be some that will not be protected. This is where many get to blaming breeders or faulty vaccines when their pups get sick, it is more likely that the breeder nor vaccine was at fault, the owner/buyer just didn't follow through with the vaccination schedule.

If over vaccination is a concern, then you can utilize isolation practices and run their series of vaccines a bit later but there are trade offs.

I'm sorry about the loss of your Buddy. They leave such a big hole :( It's not uncommon for breeders to administer vaccinations. While I agree that parvo can be a concern, it would not be my biggest concern in that type of situation. I would want to know the working ability/temperment/health of the parents before getting a pup from that situation. You can get great pups from a farm that breeds their own working dogs on occassion or there can be issues if they're just putting 2 dogs together to make money.

Thank you for the great information. The pup is 11 weeks. Both mother and pup have been vaccinated for distemper , adenovirus ,
parainfluenza and parvovirus. I will be talking to them this afternoon and ask. A sheep farm. What sort of records are kept when shots are administered by you?

I have kennel cards that we maintain in a three ring binder for each individual dog. A copy goes with each pup when it goes home. This pup is heading to the vet this afternoon for his rabies shot, a fecal exam and health papers so that he can be picked up tomorrow. Heading to a suburb of Chicago to be a companion. After his vet appointment his card will be updated and his new owner will be provided all the updated info.

Here is his present card
http://leaningtreestockdogs.com/images/kennelcard.jpg

As far as a 11 week old being to that vet, it depends on the breeder and why they are taking them. Some do hearing tests so those pups would have been to the vet. Some don't do their own vaccinations or deworming and just let the vet do it, so those definitely would have been to the vet.

If the breeder is comfortable with giving vaccinations and has a good relationship with their vet and does not have something particular that they want the vet to see the pups for then odds are they won't see a vet until before going home if health papers are required. If the pup is staying within the state, then that may not even happen.

The deworming thing is also something you want to find out about. Often a good deworming protocol is neglected, worms can make puppies deadly sick, often causing problems when the pup leaves where they are raised and have to deal with the stress of a new home. With that said, it's also important as a new owner to not over stress the puppies system when you do get them home so as to allow their system to adjust with as little undue stress as possible.

We tell buyers to not take the pup to all your friends and relatives homes, don't drag them to the pet store, don't go crazy playing with them and making them be active. Interact with them, but let them continue to be puppies with little additional requirements, they are babies.

Just crate training and learning the ways of the house can be stressful enough, especially if the pup has been farm raised. We try to make that transition easier by having our pups already go through some house time and crate time, but I don't know how many are doing that and is also something to ask about.

Thanks again. We got our dog Buddy from a farm, but that was 12 years ago and I honestly don't remember if he was to a vet beforehand or not. So the information is greatly appreciated. All things I have written down to ask. The owner did say he was dewormed. I'm excited and sad at the same time.

Talked to my vet who gave me some good advice as to what to look for when seeing the pup. She's a vet who is familiar with farms in our area-North East PA. The farm the pup is on is by Troy, PA. I know there are lots of Amish farms in that area. Not necessarily good ones. Greenfield Puppies anyone?? They do have vaccination records-didn't think to ask what they were written on. The owner sounded nice. We'll see tomorrow. I'm sad and excited at the same time. I'll keep this post updated. Although I know, if we see this pup and he seems healthy and ok... he'll be coming home and we'll take it from there. Debbie Meier-thanks for the help

The only Greenfield Puppies that I'm finding in PA is a rather large broker type website that represents oodles of breeds and breeders. If that is the same, I would be very cautious. Make certain you meet the parents and that they are of sound mind and temperament. Friendly and well behaved.

Things to watch out for, puppies that are cautious, suspicious or aloof. Many will tell you that it's normal since they have not been off the farm or seen strangers, but we have found that is more of a temperament issue.

The pup I took to the vet clinic today has never been off the farm, has only met a couple of other people and walked into the clinic as if he owned it. Nobody was a stranger to him. Today was his first time on collar and leash and you have thought he was completely leash broke. When there were odd noises at the clinic he stepped forward wanting to know what they were no sign of insecurity or retreating.

He stood on the vet table square and confident, very attentive to the vet.

This is not due to socialization, this is due to him being a very sound minded confident pup.

Anyway, please don't take a pup because you feel like it needs you, instead go with a pup if you can say to yourself, "this is a awesome pup and is going to be a lot fun". If you hear yourself say, "this pup is going to need some special attention and time to get used to me", walk away.

I don't know if this is relevant, but when I search for 'greenfield puppies review', I get this site listed at the top of the results.

http://www.consumeraffairs.com/pets/greenfield_puppies_pa.html

Don't know if they are the same organisation....and perhaps these comments iare not surprising If they broker a lot of pups for different individuals, I guess it doesn't mean all pups on their books have the same issues..

Like Debbie, I would urge caution.

I hate to be a wet blanket (and I often am) but I took a quick look at the references posted and my thought would be to run, not walk, away from any purchase with anyone associated with these sorts of sites. It may (it will) take you more time to find a pup from a responsible breeder but it will be worth it.

Many people will say, "But I couldn't leave the pup in those conditions!" By purchasing from a backyard breeder, puppy mill, or via a broker, a person is just supporting that sort of breeding and helping to perpetuate it.

That said, have you considered a responsible rescue organization? There are Northeast Border Collie Rescue (NEBCR), Mid-Atlantic BCR (MD-based), Blue Ridge BCR (VA-based), Glen Highland Farm (NY-based) and other organizations that are within a reasonable distance from northeast PA. They get adults, adolescents, and pups, and you would be supporting a good cause rather than perhaps purchasing from an irresponsible breeder/broker.

Yes, I have looked into the rescues. Glen Highland is not far from me. It's been 2 weeks today since our dog passed, and we saw the pup... Maybe thinking the house wouldn't be so quiet (cats don't count). Maybe we're just not ready. I can't look around our home and not see him. Or outside. I've yet to go for a hike or walk past the pond. I haven't done that by myself in 12 years. For now, I'm taking a breath and a step back. Maybe tomorrow I'll feel different. Today it's too much

That said, have you considered a responsible rescue organization? There are Northeast Border Collie Rescue (NEBCR),

Just an FYI: NEBCR is New England Border Collie Rescue, and a very reputable rescue. http://nebcr.org Coverage area is New England and eastern New York state. Applications from neighboring areas are considered, though.

Northeast Border Collie Rescue is NBCR. Smaller group that has a fairly limited coverage area, AFAIK.

Glen Highland Farm definitely covers your area. http://glenhighlandfarm.com