BC Boards

Poor Dog... Hard Stools

mbc1963

So, my dog isn't constipated. He still poops twice on every walk, just like he always has. But lately, despite no change in food, he's just got hard little poops. They don't seem to be bothering him, but they just look like they couldn't be too comfortable. If I had 'em, I'd be eating a lot of apples and wheat germ and bran cereal.

So... anyone got good additions to the food to soften and increase the volume? Buddy is prone to gland problems, and I like to keep things big and healthy, if possible.

Thanks in advance. Awkward topic. :rolleyes:

Mary

So... anyone got good additions to the food to soften and increase the volume? Buddy is prone to gland problems, and I like to keep things big and healthy, if possible.

Thanks in advance. Awkward topic. :rolleyes:

Mary

Around here? Surely you jest, we'll all talk about dog poop, sheep poop, cat poop, until the cows (and their poop) come home!

Anyway, try a tbs or so of pumpkin or any hard winter squash in his food. Cooked, of course. Sweet potato might do it, to. My vet recommends metamucil or its generic equivalent, but I think that it's got sugar in it.

Oat bran. That's cheap and good for the eliminatory processes.

Ruth

None of my dogs (thankfully!) has ever had problems with anal sac expression before, so please temper my questions accordingly. But are you sure that hard stools would contribute to problems in expressing anal sacs? This website http://www.dr-dan.com/analsac.htm seems to indicate that soft stools, rather than hard ones, are to blame.

If someone with more experience can set me straight, I'd love to think that I could take actions so as to forego the dubious pleasure of expressing anal sacs.

Yep, firm stools put pressure on the anal gland sack, therefore expressing them naturally, just like mother nature intended.

We haven't had any anal gland issues since switching to a mostly raw diet...wish I would have known about that years ago :rolleyes:

Theoretically, I agree that hard stools shouldn't contribute to sac problems. But... these are tiny little hard pellets. It's the size I'm more worried about than the fluidity, as it were.

There's a certain odor on the breath that Buddy only gets when he's having rear end difficulties, and I've been smelling it on and off for a few weeks. Hence my diagnosis. :rolleyes:

I'll get the pumpkin. But I made lentil soup last night and have been giving him bits of that; am hoping it revolumizes things.

Mary