BC Boards

We have just been through a crisis with Annie that, thankfully, is now resolved. I know you all support Annie; I just wanted to pass this along in case you should run into the same symptoms.

Over the last several weeks, Annie has been back and forth to the vet. We have known that she has a delicate digestive system for some time, but this time it reached crisis conditions. She would suffer from diarrhea, and would stop eating. We would take her to the vet, she would stay for several days while they experimented with a new diet, and she would come home. Everything would be fine for a few days, then it would start up again. We had gotten to the point where we were not sure if she could be cured, and were deeply concerned that we might lose her. We began our own experimentation with variations in her diet. We finally isolated what seemed to be the problem down to the dog cookies we were giving her (Royal Canin Treats for Dogs), but still did not put the problem entirely to bed. We now have her on IVD EN dry food mixed with IVD HE moist food. Last week, during the evening while Annie was sleeping in her cage, she suddenly passed more material than I have ever seen before, part solid but primarily loose material, with a stench that was consistent with severe constipation. It seems that she has had an undetectable blockage in her system for some time, one that finally broke loose that night. Since the incident, her stools are now normal, and she is eating without any problem.

I have sometimes seen members of this board attribute a BC's malaise to possible constipation. I now understand just how serious this can be.

I may have told this story before but we had a foster dog who was with us for about three weeks or a month before she got adopted. Never a big eater, but as an adolescent BC we didn't think much of it. No vomiting or what have you, nice and active. When she has been in her adoptive home for about three weeks, the adopter sent an updated and included something about "by the way, if you were wondering where your stuffed colourful plush ball toy went, the dog has vomited it up this morning, intact." The foster home was like "uhhhh .... we don't have any toys like that in this house." Which means this gal has been toting it around in her digestive tract for months. Her appetite improved once she regurgitated the ball. It was one of those stuffy balls you give to infants, usually has a bell in it or something. Wow.

Piper also consumed several toys last year in a desperate bid to prevent Woo from playing with "her stuff" ('I know, I will EAT them, that way he can't have them at all') and blocked. Puking bright green. Fortunately, the motility drugs worked and she passed a giant bright blue piece of rubber bone (that she has had since she was a pup!), a pink pompom, a bottle cap and several unidentifiable bits of rubber and plastic. It was very scary, as she's not known for eating stuff.

I am glad to hear Annie is well again!

RDM

My dad's very first Seeing Eye dog (a beautiful big Golden Retriever) liked to eat foreign objects too. One day the leather leash (about 5' long with two large clips and a D ring) went missing. Try as they might my Dad and Mom couldn't find it. About a month later they found it! Benjamin barfed the entire thing up whole! They had no idea it had been in his belly for all that time. After that they were very careful not to leave the leash lying around, but despite their best efforts Benjamin ate the whole leash yet again. This time they knew right where it was and they were able to retrieve it quite easily as it was still attached to his collar. :D Please don't dis my Dad for not knowing his dog was consuming his leash, remember he is blind and the dog ate it silently! :rolleyes:

Next month my Dad will be getting his fourth Seeing Eye dog and will once again enjoy being independantly mobile. :D