BC Boards

What is a hanging tree cowdog?

What kind of dog is it? Is it a type of border collie, a cross-bred dog, a type of aussie? I have no idea! I googled but I find different information. What is their general usefulness? Are they good practical working dogs?

I'm just curious for curiosity's sake.

Thanks.

Gary Ericsson developed the Hangin Tree Cowdog. They have their own registry. Here is a good description, taken from his website:

These slick or short-haired cowdogs were originally bred by using a cross of approximately 1/8 Catahoula Leopard (for their slick coat and their ability to trail, find, and hold up cattle), 1/4 Australian Shepherd (Hangin’ Tree Black Bear, who won both the Idaho and Montana Stockdog Championships and sold for $20,000.00, was the only Australian Shepherd used, because of his courage and ability to handle any kind of cattle), 1/4 Kelpie (for their endurance, short hair, and herding instinct), and 3/8 to ½ cattle-bred Border Collie (for their ease of training and handling, and their intense herding desire.) This has resulted in a tough cowdog that can easily be taught to trail and find cattle. Choc and Gary Ericsson originated the breed to be the cowboy's ultimate dog. It was named after the family brand--Hangin' Tree. The breed was designed for endurance, as many cowboys need a dog that can go all day and withstand harsh conditions...and sometimes even harsh treatment. Of utmost importance was the dog's ability to hit both heads and heels of cattle. The foundation stock that was selected for the original registry were intelligent, courageous, hardworking and loyal. These slick haired dogs don't collect burrs or stickers and withstand heat well. In winter, they develop a thick undercoat in colder climates. Eligible pups must demonstrate the ability to hit both heads and heels of cattle.

• 2 weeks later...

The type of dog the Ericssons were trying to create is pictured in Gary's illustrations. From what I've been told they don't breed consistently:

http://stockdogsavvy.wordpress.com/2010/02...in-tree-cowdog/

From what I've been told they don't breed consistently:

That may be your experience but I have seen quite a few and they are fairly consistent - some bitches are a bit fine and some males are taller and lankier than others, but no more different in size range than the Border Collie, and maybe more consistent in build and coat. When properly culled (as the registry demands), they are pretty consistent in terms of intensity, stock sense, and athleticism. But, as always, there is some variation of course. The dogs I have seen have largely been from Gary's breeding directly, so that could be one reason why I've seen a good deal of consistency.

Sue,

If I had to hazard a guess, I'd say that when Jeanne Joy said they don't breed consistently, she means that they don't breed in a manner to consistently reproduce themselves. The point that you make about culling simply means that the dogs that are produced that don't match the standard are removed so that what you *see* does appear to be consistent. But how many were culled in the process? <--Rhetorical question. In other words, if they have to do a lot of culling in order to keep a consistent look within the dogs registered--the breed--then the dogs themselves must not be breeding entirely true.

J.

Sue,

If I had to hazard a guess, I'd say that when Jeanne Joy said they don't breed consistently, she means that they don't breed in a manner to consistently reproduce themselves. The point that you make about culling simply means that the dogs that are produced that don't match the standard are removed so that what you *see* does appear to be consistent. But how many were culled in the process? <--Rhetorical question. In other words, if they have to do a lot of culling in order to keep a consistent look within the dogs registered--the breed--then the dogs themselves must not be breeding entirely true.

J.

Understood. I should have been more clear, however, in stating that the culling was largely for a working "standard" rather than any appearance standard. They are, I believe, culled if they are not slick-coated but I am not aware of any other appearance/physical reason to cull. Gary is someone who would have culled strongly to develop the breed.

But, my experience is limited to seeing dogs largely within one generation of Gary's breeding and so might not be at all representative of what one might find in different locations and from different people's breeding programs. And, of course, at the point I saw any of the dogs, the culling would have already been done. So, my premise was pretty faulty.

I'll regret not seeing you next week in KY.

• 6 years later...

Tickman is a reg breeding paper hanging tree- however his fur is about 1 1/2 inches long. His mother was Rhodes Queen who is a pretty tough good cowdog.

Tick is the only hanging tree I have worked with.

He is the toughest dog I have ever worked.

Took him a while to partner up with me. He was stubborn and had his own ideas, now he will work sheep but I watch him very carefully on sheep. He really is a cowdog

I have had him move a range bull by himself that I could not have moved any other way. He has knocked to the ground bulls so we could get a rope on them. Don't know if it was an accident or not, but it was helpful.

He has considerable reach, but I am careful with him at a distance because he is a pushy son of a gun.

He is sweet around people and other dogs. good to work on horseback.

I had to really get him to understand stop. He had to be taught di[plomacy/feel.

He is a very vaulable dog for me. But not for the weekend or light work.

I must add, that in close work on bulls he is very useful. But remember something- during the fire I used Joe and Jake, Kelpie and border collie this was because they could move Any type of stock at distance , out of my sight, with diplomacy and not get them running. You need to always pick a dog that suits your work. Tick suits Some of my work well.

This ad just popped up on a western North Dakota site I watch for BCs. Sometimes you see free BC advertised "due to not enough time" and I have had good luck getting breeders to take them back when I notify them.

I really know nothing about herding cows, but thought you might find the video interesting for the topic. These dogs are advertised as Hanging Tree Dogs. When I was looking for a BC puppy the only ones I found on ND were bred for cattle work or were AKC Confirmation dogs. Neither was what I was looking for.

http://www.bismanonline.com/stanley_nd/hanging_tree_cattle_dog_puppies

Also apparently there is a Hanging Tree Cowdog Association. Note reference to DNA testing.

http://www.hangintreecowdog.net

• 3 years later...

My girl is a beautiful black and white, she is extremely smart, great with kids, other dogs, and definately is a working dog, she is long haired and burrs stick to her tail si you must brush her everyday, she is very personable and wants to be with me all the time, she is very attuned to my moods, (I am a widow of 17 months) she is my comfort dog, she has 1 bad habit, she chases my barn cats, I though after being scratched several times she would quit, nope she just keeps her nose away from them! But I couldn't  ask for a better friend/dog