BC Boards

Random vomit

My new pup, Micah, has been vomiting occasionally. He eats dirt, weeds, sticks, his new big brothers hair, anything he can get his mouth on and then vomits. We stopped that by very strict supervision in the yard. Then he started vomiting as if he ate too fast. We started soaking his food. Then he started vomiting if his tummy was empty. So it's at least a puppy biscuit every couple hours... You can imagine what my hair looks like with all the pulling I've been doing. The vet finally decided that he has acid reflux. We'll treat it for a couple weeks and see if he outgrows it. In the meantime, she also noticed that his intestines felt ropy, a sign of irritable bowel, so she pulled a fecal to see how it looked, and told me I might have to change his food. She soon came back to tellme that the fecal sample was 100% hair and some of it six inches long! I laughed and told her it was Micah's goal in life to pluck Gideon bald and Gid is going along with it. So now I need to try to convince Micah to leave the hair on Gideon. What a week!

I think that Micah needs pretty strict supervision around Gideon also - you found that it worked for you in the yard, where he was ingesting things that he didn't need to eat. For both their sakes, it sounds like Micah needs a lot more supervision around Gideon so that he is not pulling and swallowing hair from the older dog.

Suitable dog toys/chew toys are also a good alternative. Interact with him with the toys (toys without someone/something to play quickly become boring) and engage his mind as well as his body.

I have found that you can have two dogs that play with the same sort of toys, and one will wind up swallowing fibers and other indigestible materials while the other does not. In that case, you may not be able to allow the one dog access to the sort of toy that may cause digestive issues and/or blockage.

One of our dogs was such a pup, who would tend to swallow fibers from his stuffed toys, rope tug/chew toys, and plastic toys. He, like your pup, was prone to occasional but fairly regular vomiting on an empty stomach (his was virtually always first thing in the morning). We found out the reason why one day, when he brought up a very large, sausage-shaped wad of stuffing fibers, rope toy fibers, and bits of chewed but indigestible plastic.

Apparently, this was was in his stomach and when it settled in a position to block the sphincter to the small intestine, acid would build up in his stomach and he would vomit. If the wad was not blocking the sphincter, he would not experience any problem. Once he got rid of the wad (and I got rid of all the stuffed toys, rope toys, and chewable plastic toys), the problem stopped.

That might be something for you and your vet to consider, and it should be readily detected by either palpation (if it's big enough) or x-ray.

Best wishes!

Thanks Sue R. Strict supervision is exactly what he gets every minute he isn't in his crate. He's much better now that we are working on getting him to play with toys with Gideon. And we are throwing out all kinds of stuffies that he thinks he has to pluck, definitely a problem. I went and got three new Kongs. I must have the only dog that does not like peanut butter. Thanks again.

Yours is not the only dog that is not a fan of peanut butter! There are other fillings you can use. Try the "search" function here to find other advice and "recipes" for Kong filling.

I've got 3 or 4 different things I put in Kongs, I just always had a preference for peanut butter, don't know why that should be, it's messy. I'm doing frozen Kongs now. My BCs like to work on frozen stuff like my GSDs never did. I used to have one Kong for three dogs to share, now I have 2 Kongs per BC.

I've had many breeds over the years, but I must say that I am absolutely in love with BCs since getting Gideon. The way they play and the games they make up are amazing. I've never had another dog like this and I can't wait to see what Micah grows into.