BC Boards

OT: Private forum set up for us

I set up a private forum so we can all chat about off topic things and not make anyone here feel uncomfortable. We can also just chat about whatever. Should be fun!

No one but members can even read what is posted so it's our little secret. :rolleyes: Same rules as here so it will be like putting on an old familiar shoe.

Once you join just click on "messages" to start posting. PM me if you have any ?'s. See you there!

For any of you that joined the private forum, can you answer this person's question? They are trying to sign up. I tried signing out and seeing but it won't let me. Thanks!

...to join the new forum, I click on the link and it tells

me to sign up for an email address with MSN. If I do so, will it take me

directly to the forum you set up, or do I have to do something else?

I'm having issues. I can access the group from home where I originally signed up with my yahoo address. Since then, if I try to log-on from work, it asks me to sign-up for an MSN account or to sign in using an existing account (with email address and password). However, when I originally signed up for the group, it only required my email address and a username. I didn't have a password! Now it won't give me that option. I have tried to sign up again, but it says my email address and username are already taken. *sigh* I'm losing my mind. I know it.

edited to add: I just finally worked through the system to have it email me my password. Geez. I really am pretty good with computers, but I'm having issues today. lol.

~Kelly Deneen

Hmmm, a bit strange. It definately works from home? Check your profile and setting when your next home and see if you can find a password anywhere.

Or actually it could be a case of you need to sign out at home, cant be signed in on two computers at once?

Just an idea

Okay, so I must have been able to sign up for the group originally without having an MSN account.

Now that I'm signed in with an MSN account (using the same email address), it says I'm not a member of the group. When I attempt to sign-up, that's where it says that email address is already taken.

Strange?

Maybe I need Miztiki to delete my original enrollment.

~Kelly Deneen

I'm able to access from home and work. It was confusing though! I use my yahoo email account so and didn't have to sign up for MSN. Good luck!

BTW, Thanks Miztiki!!! I know I'm enjoying the new forum!

Ok I have an msn sign in and all...I just can't get to the site via the link Miz posted! Does the site only work w/ certain browsers? I'm using Camino. :

Kelly, I'm confused, do u mean when you try and sign in that it says your not a member or when you try and sign up? Let me know how you get on. I'll keep thinking, maybe Miz can shed some light...

Maggie this is the URL type it n yourself instead of trying the link, that may work http://groups.msn.com/CarolinaGarden/

Good luck everyone

I put in a wrong number on my DOB and it said I was a minor, then to give myself "parental permission" I had to give a credit card number. I didn't want to do this, so I just set up a whole new email account with a different email address than I usually use. You use a hotmail account, eg...Amazingmaggie@hotmail.com (just an example, sorry to borrow Maggie). Then you get a password for your new email, then you sign up for the group. That's what I had to do and I always access the group through my new email address.

Best of luck, and yes, you have to apply to the group.

Erin, Abbie's Mum, I just got your request to join and approved you, so you should be able to view the forum and post now.

Kelly Deneen, I'm showing you as a member already. You applied to join the forum and I approved you.

When you try to access the forum it won't let you? Was there any type of email confirmation when you became approved that requires you to click on a link to activate your account? Others might be able to help by telling us if that's the case.

I'm showing you as a member though, so you should be able to view and post there. On the http://groups.msn.com/ website does it show you as signed in, or signed out? If signed out then sign in from there. If already signed in then try signing out, then signing back in.

I don't want to ban you (that's my only option) and inadvertantly prevent you from ever getting in.

Guest JoeysMom

Thanks to Miz for setting up the forum, and thanks to everyone for the help.

Did anyone have trouble signing out? I clicked on "sign out" and it didn't sign me out...???

Someday I will understand how to use computers, technology, etc.

Thanks!

From where did you try to sign out (what site page)? When you tried, did it give you an error? Can you give more details?

I can't sign out because my computer is set up to automatically sign me into certain sites (such as Hotmail) with my username and password. Hubby set that up and I don't know how to change it, so I can't sign out. It just signs me right back in.

Ok I've just signed out. It tried to sign me straight back in but I havent got it set up to sign me in automatically so it took me to the msn groups homepage. So if your pc is set up to sign you in automatically it would have taken you straight back to Miz's forum with you signed in. Is that what happened Joeys Mom?

Or was it this, I have signed out, it is not set to sign me in automatically but I have just followed the link at the top of this page and guess what... yes I am still signed in somehow???? Ok just signed out again, it didnt try to sign me back in again this time, closed the window and followed the link of this page again and its asking for my password so it worked this time. Very confused now though! :confused:

Deneen, you know the password it asks for is the one you use to access you email account, not a special one thats set up for Mizs forum?

Computers, I swear they're worse than men at times! :rolleyes: No offence men out there

lol. Sorry, I don't mean to cause issues. Okay, so if I click on the link for the private forum, it brings me to an MSN sign in page. I enter my yahoo address and password.

Then it brings me to a page that says this is a members-only area and asks if I'm interested in joining. The only link is Apply to Join, so when I click that and try to apply (again), it says my email address is already being used.

Thus, my complete confusion...ah well, I can access it from home. Maybe it has to do with our security settings at work. I guess I'll see you there this weekend from home. :rolleyes:

~Kelly Deneen

Well, that's it. I can't get in from home now either. It doesn't recognize me as being a member, and when I try to sign up with my yahoo email address again, it won't let me since I already belong there.

I guess it's just not meant to be.

So, here's a hint for everyone. Create your MSN network account before you apply to join the private forum. I joined the group before I had an MSN account, and now the private forum doesn't recognize my MSN account, even though it's the same email address. hmmm...maybe I'll just access it through email.

~Kelly Deneen

See if that works. I can ban you as a last resort, but I doubt it would help since it would only ban you from my group and not the entire "passport" network of sites, and I don't know if you'll ever be able to get back in either.

Sorry you're having so many troubles. :rolleyes:

edit: I take that back. I can change your status to assistant manager, I can ban you, or I can cancel your membership.

Want to be assistant manager for a day to see if that helps you get in?

I think it might be a cookie kind of thing but computers are not my area of expertise.