BC Boards

Obedience Class Update

Tonight we had our second obedience class. I'm *really* happy with the progress Zoe is making, as well as the class in general. I really really wish we had found this training place two years ago when we got Zeeke, I wonder how much we could have avoided. *sigh* But no use crying over spilled milk...

In any case, Zoe. After last week I was feeling a little discouraged - she was SO freaked out. She sat there shaking and trying to crawl under my seat the entire time. The instructor said her jaw was clenched so far, just getting her to stick her tongue out would be a great goal for the class. -.- We didn't do a lot during class last week, just listened to a lot of information about food and rules for the dogs in class and at home (tons of GREAT information such as NILIF and feeding and becoming the leader of the pack, I'm really impressed). The other owners practiced teaching their dog sit/down/stand, but Zoe wouldn't even look at a treat much less eat it, and was too freaked out to really pay attention.

So this time I got there early, was the first one there. I let her sniff the whole room, ran around with her a bit to encourage her, then sat down and waited while everyone came in. She was doing so much better right from the start. She took treats (cut up hot dog). She had her mouth open, panting sometimes. She layed down beside my chair while I sat (in between attempts to sneak around behind my chair and hopefully out of the building - there was no way out, but she seemed to think if she just got far enough she could melt through the wall and disappear). She's still very jumpy and nervous... it's like she's trying to watch everything at once so she doesn't miss someone sneaking up to eat her. But her whole body was *so* much more relaxed than last week. She was listening to me when we practiced sit and down and stay (yes, she even held a stay for 5 seconds while I stood in front of her).

Two funny things that happened: One is that she spent a while beside my chair with her *back* to the class, facing the corner of the room. She looked like a child in time-out. I really don't know what it was, maybe a "if I can't see them, they can't see me?" or maybe thinking if she concentrated enough on the corner she'd magically end up there? She'd look back over her shoulder whenever she heard something, but she stubbornly sat there facing the wall for some time.

The other funny thing was Zoe was laying down watching as the instructor was speaking. The instructor said something about how to only say a command once, and acted out "the wrong way" of "sit. siiiit. sit. sit. SIIITTTT." Well Zoe's ears came up, she looked right and left, and cautiously levered herself up into a sit..... just in case the lady was talking to her. LOL! And you should have seen her when the instructor said "okay" to the dog she was using in a demo.... Zoe kept twitching, almost jumping to her feet.

So, it goes well. :rolleyes: This second class gave me hope that she might be relatively okay by the end of this course!

Glad to hear there is progress, one step at a time. Its wonderful to have the support of a trainer isn't it?

Meg had her second night of puppy obedience to night as well. Unlike Zoe, Meg is a bit schizy...she is tentative and submissive in a fast oscillation with playful and gregarious. It looks like she's doing hip hop, up and forward, down and in, up and forward down and in.

When our instructor put her in the play enclosure for the inital sniff and play part of the session, Meg did her little hello I am your inferior belly grovel thing, then took one look at us, gave us a happy smile and climbed up and almost completely over the enclosure heading for us before the instructor caught her twice. I mentionned this climb and jump drive to her breeder, who told me she started trying to climb when she was barely old enough to waddle.

The instructor is using her to demonstrate a lot because Meg is so responsive. She behaves beautifully in class. Then she came home snuck away from her blanket at my feet when I dozed off and pooped all the way down the office and down the wood floor hallway and peed right next to my husbands chair. We had taken her out after dinner and thought her business was substantially done for at least another hour. SIGH!!!That's the floor we've already finished remodeling!!

I am sooo happy to have my school as well. This training is extremely reality based. Just in case anyone from the Seattle are is lurking, I strongly recommend http://www.riverdogk9.com/.

Sounds like you found a great place!!!

Major progress in the class - very happy! :rolleyes:

Dazzle also get to be the demo dog sometimes - and in Agility class, she goes first a lot.

Just to add another great place with similar training http://www.familydogonline.com/

River Dog has my vote as well, very good place.