BC Boards

Oh my goodness.

But my point is the deed is done. We can argue about whether or not the breeding should occurred, good intentions or right intentions or not.

But several people are suggesting to SA that she should not get THIS puppy. Why, I ask?

She's not encouraging next year's breeding by purchasing it - the dam is getting spayed. Isn't that the MAIN reason not to buy from BYBs or PuppyMills?

The deed is done. If the 'breeder' had felt remorse about this litter and told Sarah the story of how her dam accidentally had the litter (ie. not intentional) that so and so was babysitting the dogs and didn't do a good job keeping them apart, etc. Would it then be ok for Sarah to get the puppy - because it wasn't from intentional irresponsible breeding?

It seems to me that the voices that cry foul are suggesting that no one should get a non-quailty bred BC unless it is a rescue dog - no matter what the extenuating sircumstances are, period.

That's what I don't understand. This is a very specific case with a very specific person suggesting what she might do and I'm baffled why people are telling her not to get this pup. This case only - not a general blanket 'ok go get it' to the world, but this case specifically.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So, what happened??

I really think you should go for it.

Things happen for a reason, you went for 3 dogs at the shelter, none worked out. You go to a house to work, and voila...puppies, and whoa, of the whole litter there is only that hasn't been placed. This is not coincidence, this is fate.

The owner has turned away 3 people, maybe the next one does get through, the probability of that pup ending up in rescue is high anyway, so why not start from the beggining.

I'm on the cautious side as well, though the thing I would be most concerned about is proper health clearances, esp hip xrays - I'd hate to see you get a dog that has major health issues after all you've just gone through.

Either way, do your research, ask your questions, and make a decision based on the facts, not "aww she's cute and I was looking for a BC anyway".

Good Luck!

I am totally against pet shops, puppy mills, over breeding, back yard breeding, and accidents! That said - once these poor little creatures are here it is better for responsible, loving people to give them a home than to leave them to the alternative. The catch-22 of saving/buying/rescuing these little innocents also promotes more irresponsible, money-driven breeding.

I don't know what happened with your previous dogs, but I say follow your heart in this instance.

Yes Sarah has been told the dam will be spayed. Will that happen? No one knows, she doesn't know the people that well yet. Melanie's right, RDM is right. Once again I feel for Sarah, what hell to go through. Especially with moving now. I wouldn't support this breeder based on what has been shared here. My first dog is from a similar situation. I won't do that again. I love him, he is my heart and soul. His breeding did nothing to improve the breed as a whole.

Caroline