BC Boards

Canine Bells Palsy?

MrSnappy

Hi, just an update on Glyn. First of all we LOVE him to bits but I wanted to let you know he`s had some serious health problems recently. Glyn`s face is paralyzed mostly on his left side although his right side is also affected. He also has some difficulty swallowing as his jaw is also involved. He has had pain with this and has had some very uncomfortable days. We are trying hard to find out why this has happened. The neurlogist says he may have an auto-immune problem or it could be some kind of meningitis. He`s been for a MRI and a spinal tap but nothing is coming back conclusive. We are currently using an immuno-suppressive drug to try and resolve this problem and he does seem slightly better. We desperately want him to get better as he is a very important part of the family and I hate to see him sick. He is completely uncomplaining through all of this and has been his regular gentle self despite times when I knew he was uncomfortable.

I just wanted to let you know what was happening. We will keep you posted. Sue

I don't know what else to suggest, though some folks suggested the Bel's Palsy. Anyone else have any ideas??

Glyn is a special boy to me; I'd like to see him well!

RDM

When I was volunteering at a vet office they had a dog come in w/ similar symptoms and it was determined that is was indeed the canine version of Bell's Palsy (has another name I think) although at one point they also wondered about a stroke. If I remember correctly, with steroids/anti inflammatories and time the dog returned to normal or at least very close to it.

Here's good vibes for Glyn.

Don't know about dogs, but for people Bell's Palsy can be no big deal. My 33-year-old son has jsut, rather quickly, recovered from it.

It was sure scary when it started. But after 3 weeks it's like it never happened.

Hi Sheena,

Sorry to hear about Glyn! :rolleyes: I found this link for you- maybe it will help diagnose the problem (or help you find out what it's not, at least.)

http://www.veterinarypartner.com/Content.p...&S=0&C=0&A=1755

I'll let you know if anything else comes to mind...poor guy. My fingers are crossed.

Hi Sheena,

Sorry to hear about Glyn! :rolleyes: Is the pain on the same side that his surgery was on?

I found this link for you- maybe it will help diagnose the problem (or help you find out what it's not, at least.)

http://www.veterinarypartner.com/Content.p...&S=0&C=0&A=1755

I'll let you know if anything else comes to mind...poor guy. My fingers are crossed.

ARGH!!!

Thanks Sheena, unfortunately we have already gone the bells palsy route. the neurologist says there are more cranial nerves involved than the ones effected in bells palsy. he thinks this may be a self limiting problem that hopefully will go away...unfortunately it doesn`t seem to be resolving in any way and he continues to feel awful...we`ve looked at everything...tick paralysis, brainstem tumours, meningitis, etc...none of the tests come back conclusive but he is still not well. the most concerning part.. apart from the pain is the fact he can`t blink his one and only eye so we are keeping on top of that with eye drops to keep it moist...he is also having trouble swallowing as the nerves to his jaw are also effected. right now he is on cyclosporin and despite being very expensive doesn`t seem to be helping. next is steroids. it`s been stressful because rob is also not too well right now and coming up to 15 years old. they are great buddies and i don`t want to lose either of them! sorry for the bad news e-mail. we`ll keep you posted as things develop.

Any other ideas??

I know there is one particular autoimmune disease that affects the muscles of the skull and makes it difficult and painful for the dog to open its mouth to eat, etc.

I just can't remember the name of it. I know of several dogs that have been diagnosed with it, and have managed to put it into remission.

RDM if you want to email me privately I can suggest some holistic protocols to try.

RDM,

Sorry Glen's not feeling well. Your on the right track as far as the Neuro information your getting. The only thing I can add is could it be something involving the Trigeminal nerve? The reason I bring it up is my dog had Horners syndrome. That involved cranial atrophy, difficulty swallowing, facial paralysis, and his nose losing sensitivity, all on the left side. They thought it was a lesion that could be causing it. I had friend at the time who helped me out. A neuro resident, she suggested some treatment options, with out the diagnostics of a CT scan. Which would have been the only way to truly see what was actually going on. Has the neurologist suggested any thing connected to this as a possibility. My dog completely recovered his ability to swallow, and his nose recovered it's sensation at least 90%. His cranial atrophy reversed. Don't know if any of this applies, but it's maybe something to bring up.

Good luck with him, it's no fun when they are sick, and you feel so helpless to make them better.

Andrea D.