BC Boards

Whistle For a Cure Novice SDT Running Order

Shoofly

clip_image002.jpgThings are really coming together for the trial this Saturday. The farm looks gorgeous, sheep are fat and happy, all of us "worker bees" are on top of our tasks, and even the weather forecast looks good (mid 70s, sunny). Kate's busy preparing a gastronomic treat for us, so bring along some extra cash to toss in the pot (food sale is a fundraiser too!). I know i've heard the words gingerbread, BBQ, hamburgers, slaw, potato salad, cookies, coffee, etc tossed around so far, yum. I plan to just toss a $20 bill in the pot first thing in the morning so i can nosh all day without having to dig through my pockets. :rolleyes:

We have about 35 runs in the classes to get through on Saturday, and the sheep should be a nice challenge. If all goes well and the sheep are holding up, we'll do a few fun runs at the end of the day (same price as the regular runs - $15).

A couple of quick reminders - please park on the shoulder of the road, on the same side as the farm. Also, please keep dogs on the same side of the road as well. There will be a nice fenced area to walk them, right where you'll be entering the farm. Start time is 8:00, with the Handlers Meeting for Nursery then. Tony Luper will be judging Nursery and Dean Holcomb will judge the remainder of the day.

Here's the running order in a couple of different formats. Let me know if you need it emailed directly to you. See you Saturday!

Running Order (.pdf)

Running Order (.doc)

Thanks, Robin! Alice Barrow Rayburn (not Burrow) is my deceased mother-in-law, and a better, more loving MIL has never walked the earth. She passed away in 1984 from breast cancer. Thank you (and Joan) for letting us help with a contribution to the cause of overcoming cancer in women.

I'm not so sure that our entry is "in spirit" so much as "in my wildest dreams", but I have to see I had some tears seeing my three dogs (and me) listed in Open (Brace Plus One), and with my very-much-missed MIL as co-handler. That is very special to me in many ways.

Yes, thanks Robin. My sister Kim died from neuroblastoma (basically, a pediatric cancer of the nervous system) almost exactly five years ago. Besides my dad, Kim was the only person in my family who didn't patronize me about my dogs. She understood. It is pretty nice to see her "running a dog," even if in spirit.

Mark... you wimp! What is a couple of thousand miles??? You need to buck up old boy! The first time I drove to Klamath I felt like I had pedaled a bike out and back, but it gets easier the more you do it.

I think I logged in over 4000 between SH, Meeker and Sturgis. How was going by the flooded planes of Chicago? That added a couple of hundred onto my trip.

Marilyn,

Having been raised along I80 in the Chicago burbs (my family is still there) and since we would need to get to I70; I chose to avoid 80/94 (80=>74=>70). However, we drove across I70 through IN & OH as Ike blew through with 55-70mph cross wind gusts; that is what really did me in. We stopped at the OH welcome rest area for a break from our crawl at 50mph and watched trees get blown down around the parking area. Once back on I70 (going 50mph) we had to guess which gas station would have power when we needed to refuel. I tried going faster than 50mph a few times only to have the crap scared out of me by a gust (front of van on one side of the lane and back of trailer on the other). I settled in following a truck going 50mph and I watched him to know when/where to expect a gust. We had the winds from Indy to Wheeling.

FYI: Frustrated in Ohio: 5 days without power for some

We only logged 3500 miles.

Besides I have 4 Saturdays I'll need to work, one is tomorrow.

Mark

I looked at the running orders. I feel so embarassed - I went for "full fantasy" with all three dogs and in Open. I should have stayed in Novice, where only one of them is somewhat capable and I am barely so.

Best wishes to all today, and especially Joan!

The running orders have been updated a bit, with a couple of new in-spirit entries. We're still taking in-spirit entries if you'd like to contribute!

I would love to enter. Tell me what to do- how much --where to send money. I would enter both Lyn and Bet--if we want to be accurate put me in P/N-if we get to dream-put me in Open! I hope your trial raises tons of money.

Carolyn

Whew, we survived! It was a wonderful day, perfect weather, great folks, good dog work, incredible food. It was amazing how everyone pitched in, i'm just blown away at everyone's generosity. THANK YOU EVERYONE!

Now Jet and i are going to curl up and rest. My dog is dog tired. :rolleyes:

Forget the dogs--I'm tired! It was a great day, despite the fact that my dogs were a great bit less than stellar today. The weather was perfect, the people were all great, and everyone pitched in as needed to make sure all ran smoothly. Now we need to let Robin rest a while before we try putting a bug in her ear about doing it again!

J.

But what I want to know is: how was all that FOOD? Tauntings of gingerbread and BBQ were almost enough to make me drive cross country!!

A

WEll I was up at the top a good part of the day, which was one way of saving myself from myself. Kate's gingerbread with blueberries was the bomb (per usual)! I got just one piece early in the a.m. (before the "plague of locusts" arrived). I did not try to BBQ chicken, but Jim's pork BBQ was absolutely delicious. There was homemade potato salad and cole slaw, chips, homemade cookies and brownies--and everything I ate was yummy! And for the health conscious, there was a basket of fruit as well. Hmmmm...what do you think was left over at the end of the day?

Tony Luper (nursery) and Dean Holcomb (the rest of the classes) did a good job sorting out runs, which I'm sure wasn't easy.

Prizes were provided by Joan Stout and consisted of good-enough-for-a-human-to-eat cookies from GourMutts Bakery. So even the dogs were treated to gourmet for the day!

J.

I'm hearing not much about the runs and a lot about the food. What's that saying about trialing priorities? I am so wishing I could have been there, and not just for the food. I think.

Welllll, if this puts it in perspective, we raised nearly the same amount in donations towards food as we did entry fees! :D

The outruns weren't terribly long, but the sheep and course sure provided plenty of challenge. I think Joan is putting together the final results. I know during the morning runs (Nursery and Ranch), on my home flock, that it was a real challenge. We ran 1 ewe and 2 lambs for the Nursery, trying to keep it from being too difficult but the sheep were light and quick to take advantage of any misstep on the dog's part. It was much the same for the Ranch class, when we went to 4 sheep. Because the day was moving along pretty quickly (I wanted to hold off on PN and NN until after lunch and it was only about 11:00 when we finished Ranch), we did a couple of double lift demonstrations using some sheep that weren't in the trial. There were quite a few spectators who had never been to a trial before, so Denise and Julie both ran dogs while Joan narrated. Someone was delivering a few fresh (very!) cheviot lambs to me yesterday, so we hopped them off the trailer and Denise worked them around a bit and penned them (a real crowd pleaser) with her Mick dog. On to the lunch feast that Julie described and then we started back up with PN. We used a different flock of sheep after lunch and they were much more agreeable. They were away from home and not quite as quick to head for the hills if the dogs weren't just spot on. We used 5 sheep for PN, and 4 for NN, and there were several nice runs. After the trial, we did about 15 "fun runs" and the sheep were cooperating nicely and the dogs seemed to be getting the hang of it, as the runs were mostly pretty nice. At the end of the day, we'd only had one sheep go for a swim! We did have a couple of dogs in the morning find out in a very splashy way that there was a small pond on the uphill path to the outrun. :rolleyes:

It really was a spectacular day. And the last number i heard in the money counting was over $1700, with donations still coming in. :D It couldn't have happened without a lot of great help from a lot of great people!

ETA: If anyone would still like to donate to the Ovarian Cancer Awareness Walk, you can do it online at www.ovarianawareness.org Select Joan's team name (Joan's Knightingales) from the list to give us credit. The walk is next saturday, Sept 27th, so there's still time. Thanks again to everyone.

[

ETA: If anyone would still like to donate to the Ovarian Cancer Awareness Walk, you can do it online at www.ovarianawareness.org Select Joan's team name (Joan's Knightingales) from the list to give us credit. The walk is next saturday, Sept 27th, so there's still time. Thanks again to everyone.

Done.

Hope alot of money is raised.

Carolyn