BC Boards

finals- what's it looking like?

anyone here planning on attending the sheepdog finals? Are they sticking with the top 150 dogs in points, entered? I know the draw is on the 11th- does this mean that EVERYONE is in the draw? Or, is it just for the lower eschalon?

It is fast approaching- this big shindig. Those of you who are planning on being there, time now to start your relaxation meditation :rolleyes:

Julie

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, that clears THAT up! When do you suppose the running order will be posted- will it be once the checks have cleared?

Just curious. When is the cut-off date? I some how remember it being next weekend- is that right Robin?

Julie

The draw is for the running order, not to see who gets in.

When is the cut-off date? I some how remember it being next weekend- is that right Robin?

Julie

The cut off date for getting entries in was August 1st.

Kathy

Hi Kathy-

Actually, I was talking about the points.... :rolleyes:

Julie

The points cut off date was July 31st or the last Sunday of July. Hence the postmark date of August 1st for entries.

And this comes from the USBCHA web site: Entry deadline is August 1 – any entries postmarked after that date will not be accepted and no refunds or filling of vacancies after September 1. Entry fees will be deposited Sept. 3rd.

So, does that mean that the draw for the running order will be after September 1st?

ETA: I just saw this on the web site: ""The draw will be done on Aug. 11th."" So I guess we'll know the running order and who is entered after this weekend.

Kathy

Makes sense- but for some reason I thought it was later in August- because of all tha trials in canada! Well, my questions are answered! Thanks!! Now, to see who entered and who is running....

Are you planning on running?

Julie

The points cut off date was July 31st or the last Sunday of July. Hence the postmark date of August 1st for entries.

Kathy

Are you planning on running?

Julie

LOL Oh no, this is only my second season to run in open. We picked up a whopping 1.6 points early in June and that is all that we have. Besides that PA is far from Minnesota. Maybe next year when it is back in Sturgis, SD. Of course that means being more consistent too. :rolleyes:

Kathy

Julie,

The points cut off was right at 30, with a couple of dogs at the 150-dog cut off having 30 points. The trial season ended July 31, so all points gained through that date count toward this year's finals, and entries had to be postmarked by August 1. The draw to establish the running order for the preliminary round is August 11, and this draw will include the top 150 dogs (actually maybe a couple more since there are a couple at the 150 mark with the same number of points). Other dogs below the 150 cutoff could get in, up till Sept. 1, after which date, no slots will be filled. So for example if I pull my dog out before Sept. 1, someone on the list below me can then be added to the running order. After Sept. 1, the order is set in the sense that if anyone withdraws, no one else on the "waiting list" will be added to the run order.

J.

THANKS Julie!!

Julie

Julie,

The points cut off was right at 30, with a couple of dogs at the 150-dog cut off having 30 points. The trial season ended July 31, so all points gained through that date count toward this year's finals, and entries had to be postmarked by August 1. The draw to establish the running order for the preliminary round is August 11, and this draw will include the top 150 dogs (actually maybe a couple more since there are a couple at the 150 mark with the same number of points). Other dogs below the 150 cutoff could get in, up till Sept. 1, after which date, no slots will be filled. So for example if I pull my dog out before Sept. 1, someone on the list below me can then be added to the running order. After Sept. 1, the order is set in the sense that if anyone withdraws, no one else on the "waiting list" will be added to the run order.

J.

I'll be there, working for my project. Everyone, PLEASE come see me and donate DNA from your dogs for the cause -- aside from the behavioral studies, one of the projects we have going is looking at population structure within the breed, which should be interesting for a number of reasons. It will be particularly valuable to have DNA from the top working dogs (going by this metric anyway) in the country.

I'll also be volunteering at the trial and catching up with friends I haven't seen since I moved to the left coast. I'm really looking forward to seeing everyone!

Julie,

What are you guessing the points are going to be? I've heard all sorts of interesting thoughts on this so far. I know several from the top 150 that are out this way or west that aren't going to be able to go. So, I think it will get down to 25 points or under. Maybe we should all just have a fun little betting game to see who can get the closest. :rolleyes:

My bet is 22 points by the time it's all done.

I'll be there as a volunteer. Eye clinic and whatever Sue Asten assigns me. :rolleyes:

Melanie, you can have Nash's DNA if you want it but he's not going to be coming to the trial. I have an unused DNA swab from UW's lab, the ones for the Ivermectin swab. Can I use that on the day and just hand it over to you? Or do you need the actual dog?

Those of you who frequent these Boards and are coming to PA, do you want to try and hook up for a lunch or something?

Lamb kabobs at the shade tent? :D

Laura,

I have absolutely no idea. The lowest I've heard is 25, with the higher guesses being around 27, but last I checked, the dogs at the 150 cut off all had 30 points (and the vast majority are east coast dogs), so who knows? And all along folks around here have been saying 30. Where's Dal Kratzer when we need him (he's great at guessing where cutoffs will be)? I'd be very happy if the cut off ended up being 25 (since Twist has 27.2 and is currently sitting at 176), but I just don't see how it will happen. I think many of the east coast folks will attend, and that will keep the cutoff high. As for betting games, I have really bad luck with those, so no betting here! :rolleyes:

J.

Renee and I will be there. I'll be running Peg in open and Renee will be running Rae in open and Bette in Nursery and Bette in open if she can make the cut.

Mark

She qualified Bette for both. :rolleyes:

woohoo.gif

Hey Laura -

Who do you think will be coming to the Finals from the west? I bet we can get a pretty good idea of the cut off if you have that. Or maybe it would be easier to say who's not coming.

Right now i count about 35 or so in the top 150 that i don't know if they'll come or not. There's also 6 "3rd dogs" in the top 150 so that bumps it down some too.

Robin,

I've only heard from a handful of people out this way that said for sure they can't go this year. The way I figure it though I'm guessing at least 30 out of the top 150 that won't be going plus the 3rd dogs. Then when you look down through the next 35+ to get in there are a few of those that won't be going either or are 3rd dog's again.

Heck, I'm still wavering on if I'm going to go right now so I'm sure there will be a lot of that up until the last minute. It's a LONG ways for me to go with only one dog. On the other hand I've never been east of Iowa in my life. I homeschool both of our boys as well and they think that would be an amazing place to visit!